The flow of email junk has stopped

Old September 22nd 03, 03:26 PM
John Stone

Default The flow of email junk has stopped

At least for me. I hope. Had someone from systems come to my desk
and
in about a half hour we hopefully have gotten all the junk email
stopped.
This email system at work was just a bit too complex for me to figure
out how to block it but this guy knew it inside and out. He
suggested that the death penalty
is not strong enough for people who send out this virus junk. I
agree.
Old September 22nd 03, 03:44 PM
Dale Hallmark

"John Stone" wrote in message
om...
At least for me. I hope. Had someone from systems come to my desk
and
in about a half hour we hopefully have gotten all the junk email
stopped.
This email system at work was just a bit too complex for me to figure
out how to block it but this guy knew it inside and out. He
suggested that the death penalty
is not strong enough for people who send out this virus junk. I
agree.

150 or so this morning so far, so it hasn't slowed for me yet..
Dale

Old September 22nd 03, 03:49 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

It seems to have stopped on my machine at work but then I only got a handful
there. But my personal account on netcom (EarthLink) still is getting them
although they seem to have slowed down. The last one had a time of 10:17,
if the times mean anything. It was also only 13 kB whereas they are usually
150 kB or so.

om...

Old September 22nd 03, 04:14 PM
Scottishmoney

"John Stone" wrote in message
om...
At least for me. I hope. Had someone from systems come to my desk
and
in about a half hour we hopefully have gotten all the junk email
stopped.
This email system at work was just a bit too complex for me to figure
out how to block it but this guy knew it inside and out. He
suggested that the death penalty
is not strong enough for people who send out this virus junk. I
agree.

It stopped for me, but then I put up Norton and turned off the email
function since I rarely used it anyway since I prefer my internet based
account.

You raise a good point, there really are no serious penalties for creating
and distributing viruses, worms, etc. At most they get a few days in jail
and no more. It is a crime that did not exist previously and is not really
covered under existing laws.

Though I am not in favour of the death penalty, after late last week, I
thought that death would have not been quite enough of a humiliating
experience for them, but what could be worse? Knowing H E 2X hockey sticks
is hot an' ready for them?

Dave

Old September 22nd 03, 04:22 PM
Bob Flaminio

John Stone wrote:
At least for me. I hope. Had someone from systems come to my desk
and
in about a half hour we hopefully have gotten all the junk email
stopped.

Well, your systems guy got it to stop coming to your inbox, but it's
still flowing out there. I got about 90 in the hour between when I left
my computer at home and checked it again at work.

--
Bob

Old September 22nd 03, 04:34 PM
Abigail

John Stone ) wrote on MMMDCLXXIV September
MCMXCIII in gle.com:
++ At least for me. I hope. Had someone from systems come to my desk
++ and
++ in about a half hour we hopefully have gotten all the junk email
++ stopped.
++ This email system at work was just a bit too complex for me to figure
++ out how to block it but this guy knew it inside and out. He
++ suggested that the death penalty
++ is not strong enough for people who send out this virus junk. I
++ agree.

Considering that lots of people are sending out this virus junk
(thanks to some Redmondware), I really like his suggestion.

Makes finding parking spaces a lot easier.

Abigail
Old September 22nd 03, 04:39 PM
Michael G. Koerner

Scottishmoney wrote:

"John Stone" wrote in message
om...
[...]

perfect penalty:

*DEATH* by OOGA-BOOGA!!!

(There were just over 100 of those in my inbox this morning.)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old September 22nd 03, 06:10 PM
rhodo chrosite

I received well over 4000 of those virii as shown by the virus scan counter
which rolled over at FFF (=4096 decimal) over the weekend.

om...

Old September 23rd 03, 01:04 AM
Robert A. DeRose, Jr.

Though I am not in favour of the death penalty, after late last week, I
thought that death would have not been quite enough of a humiliating
experience for them, but what could be worse? Knowing H E 2X hockey sticks
is hot an' ready for them?

I personally would favor "death by vivisection", which was
discussed (but fortunately not shown) on my favorite TV series of all
time, _Babylon 5_. Here is the description, as Londo explains what is
going to happen to the prisoner G'Kar (note: from memory, but the
essentials are there):

"You will be taken out onto the execution grounds and strapped to a
table, face up. They will cut you open with a single incision, from
here [points to G'Kar's collarbone] straight down. Then they will
begin tearing out your internal organs, in pieces no bigger than this
[indicates his palm]. They will make a pile of your organs. Then,
assuming you are still alive and providing entertainment, the pile
will be burnt before your eyes, and finally they will cut off your
head and end your misery."

(Note to the squeamish: the execution does not happen as planned.)

Gruesome, certainly, but I'd say it's no worse than the real
punishment of drawing and quartering, and the spectacle would prove
most edifying to all would-be spreaders of malicious code.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
Old September 23rd 03, 02:06 AM
Jason Ditz

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message ...
"John Stone" wrote in message
om...
At least for me. I hope. Had someone from systems come to my desk
and
in about a half hour we hopefully have gotten all the junk email
stopped.
This email system at work was just a bit too complex for me to figure
out how to block it but this guy knew it inside and out. He
suggested that the death penalty
is not strong enough for people who send out this virus junk. I
agree.

150 or so this morning so far, so it hasn't slowed for me yet..
Dale

Good to know I'm not the only one getting bombarded with this crap. I
don't even have any Microsoft products.

I solved the problem by bouncing any emails that contain the word
"Microsoft" and any emails which refer to me as "Customer" or "Client"
in TO: Oh, and I also banned any IP addresses from England for good
measure

That alone was enough to get me from 148 virii on Friday to 3 on
Saturday.

eBay "spoof" email messages - BEWARE! PJZ Coins 4 September 1st 03 07:24 PM
CPK Dolls & Misc Items--- FS Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:53 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM
Because Somebody Asked (about Spam) Mark Books 0 July 16th 03 12:42 PM