Tech: Could it be the Black and Gray Boxes?

Old September 6th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tron

Default Tech: Could it be the Black and Gray Boxes?

Tony M., Ken, and Jim,

Thank you all for your help!

I just wanted to post an update on troubleshooting this STD3. (See the
"Tech: Seeburg Power Supply Board Revs?" thread.)

I took all of your suggestions and went to work. *As my Victory Glass
schematics were for the DCC3 or DCC4 (and my STD3 had a DCC1), I
contacted Victory Glass. *I asked if they could help me out with getting
the 5 pages for the schematics for the DCC1 and of course, they did. *I
am one satisfied customer! *Those manuals are better than any pdf I've
printed for the vids and pins I work on.

I also decided to scoop up a non-working DCC3 off eBay. *The DCC3 was in
good shape, so I replaced all the electrolytic caps. *The voltage
regulator board had a fried resistor, so I replaced that along with the
shorted transistor that was in series with the resistor.
The DCC3 fired up and all the voltages were within spec.

As soon as I made the first selection, the mech would scan to the next
record, pick it up, play it, reject it, then scan to the next record,
and do the same thing all over again. *This went on for a while -- I was
able to get it to stop by removing the sense (tormat) RCA plug from the
DCC to clear the memory. *I punch in a selection, and the whole
scan-play-reject cycle started again. *Currently the mech doesn't move
any more no matter how many times I power cycle the juke. *The juke
looks like it takes the first 2 or 3 selections, then the "press reset"
light comes on.

I'm thinking that I'm having a black box/gray box problem here... anyone
want to concur with this? *I tried Ken's suggestion of resoldering the
riser pins on the PCBs in the black and gray boxes, but that didn't
change anything. *I'm wondering if I have a bad transistor or diode
somewhere. *I thinking that maybe I should buy Tony Miller's black and
gray box book to help me troubleshoot. *Before I purchase it, though, I
just want to make sure I'm barking up the right tree with the issues I'm
having.

Any comments are welcome! *Thanks, everyone!

Tony G.
Old September 8th 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tron

I did some digging tonight in the black box by testing the transistors.
It looks like it might be (at least) the black box. I found a
transistor that is most likely bad but I can't find a cross reference
for it. It's Q3723 and is marked FS34518 103 . Anyone know a good sub
for this transistor? Thanks!

Tony
Old September 8th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miller

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:53:02 -0400, Tron
wrote:

I did some digging tonight in the black box by testing the transistors.
It looks like it might be (at least) the black box. I found a
transistor that is most likely bad but I can't find a cross reference
for it. It's Q3723 and is marked FS34518 103 . Anyone know a good sub
for this transistor? Thanks!

Tony

Subs a

2N3906, 2N3907, 2N3251, 2N5447, HEP715, SK3025, Sk3118, ECG106, NTE159

Cheers,

Tony Miller
Old September 9th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

After trading emails with a guy who used to work for Seeburg in those
days about those black & gray``boxes`` i think but not 100% sure that he
said if the machine makes any selections `without setting off the reset
light then the gray box is ok .
I did learn if the selection keyboard can get ``flaky`` so taking that
apart to check for broken , bent wrong or dirt can cause miss selection
and set off that reset light .
Go slow taking that keyboard apart .. its spring loaded .

I dont know much at all about that model because i only serviced up 2 of
them . It doing all selections in a row sounds like somehow it got `hit
up` for a test mode to check the tormat ? and you cleared it all out .
I would continue checking all the plug on connectors throughout the
machine . Mine had loose fitting pins on the DCC thing .

On that transistor you suspect ... look on the circuit board to see if
the lead holes are marked . Transistors are marked E , B , C where
SCR`s are marked G , K , A or something like that ... those test
different than a transistor and can appear bad .

Sounds like you have done some nice work there and alot of it . Hope it
wakes up for you ..

FA: 2 pair Nylon sport shorts (black + gray) radioguy General 0 July 23rd 05 09:13 PM
FA: 2 pair of sport shorts (black + gray) radioguy General 0 July 21st 05 08:03 PM
70's Seeburgs black and gray boxes [email protected] Juke Boxes 6 June 15th 05 03:35 AM
Tech; Rowe boxes Chadsgames Juke Boxes 0 December 17th 03 02:08 AM
WTB - R series Rowe and Black/Gray Box Seeburgs - 45s BOBAKER147 Juke Boxes 0 October 25th 03 10:37 PM