BumbleBees or Flags? Prexibux rolls

Old February 7th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

Default BumbleBees or Flags? Prexibux rolls

Looks like the first image of a mint roll is out:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...dentifier=9100

Let's see if the rolls at banks are the same. Could be the end of the "Bumblebee".

-Fred Shecter

http://www.sirius.com/

Old February 7th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Fred Shecter wrote:
Looks like the first image of a mint roll is out:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...dentifier=9100

Let's see if the rolls at banks are the same. Could be the end of the
"Bumblebee".

I note in an article in today's (Wednesday, 2007-02-07) USAToday that the Fed
has ordered a bit over 300M of the first design. Assuming that that current
demand is maintained, that is over 12G of them over the expected ten+ years of
the program. Add to that the legally required 4G Sacs (16G total coins) and
you will have more than enough $1 coins to fully replace the 'rag' dollars in
circulation (an item that I read a few years ago estimated that the USA would
need about 14G $1 coins to fully replace the $1 FRN).

See:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2007-0...tm?POE=NEWISVA
(I don't know how long this will be up or if this link even works)

Interesting and the link includes a nice photo of the coins in a USMint bin.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old February 7th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:57:26 -0600, "Michael G. Koerner"
wrote:

Fred Shecter wrote:
[...]

I am not familiar with the abbreviation "G". Is that a gazillion?
:-)
Aram.
Old February 7th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

wrote:

Fred Shecter wrote:
[...]

'G' = 'Giga'

It is an SI prefix just like 'M' for 'Mega' (million), 'K' for 'Kilo'
(thousand), etc. 'Giga' means 'billion', such as in a 250 GB hard drive,
which holds about 250 billion bytes of data. Next higher is 'T' for 'Tera',
which means 'trillion'.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Old February 8th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"e" wrote in message

wrote:

Fred Shecter wrote:
Looks like the first image of a mint roll is out:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs...lay?langId=-1&
storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&identifier=9100

[...]

that's ok for pc's but in monetary slang, a g is 100. ie, i need 10g's to
bail

I always knew "G's" as $1000 bills. 5G's. or five "large". A $100 bill
was called a "bill" or a "C-note". You owe me 5 bills or 5 C's or,
depending on the situation, simply 5.

Bruce

Old February 8th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

Bruce Remick wrote:
"e" wrote in message

wrote:

Fred Shecter wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and a five was a "fin" and a ten was a "sawbuck". We're showing our
age now. :-)

--
©¿©¬
~

Old February 8th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:
"e" wrote in message

wrote:

Fred Shecter wrote:
[...]

I dunno, Ed. Depending on what circles you travel in today, these terms are
still in use. Deuce, fin, sawbuck, double sawbuck...... I don't recall any
name for a fifty, maybe because they were used about the same as the 50¢ is
today. If you wanted to handle bigger bills, you jumped directly from the
double sawbuck to the C-note. Maybe there's something about that number 50.
You can be sure that one day the kids will "rediscover" these terms and the
cool terms will become popular slang all over again.

Bruce

Old February 8th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Bruce Remick wrote:
I always knew "G's" as $1000 bills. 5G's. or five "large". A
$100 bill was called a "bill" or a "C-note". You owe me 5 bills or 5
C's or, depending on the situation, simply 5.

I never thought of "G" in this context as referring specifically to the
$1,000 bill. Instead, I've always heard it to mean any combination of
money equal to $1,000.

In other words, ten $100 bills would be considered a "grand" (aka "G").

Much rather have the SI version of $1G, though. :-)

--
Jim Seymour
Old February 8th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

Bruce Remick wrote:
"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:
"e" wrote in message

wrote:

Fred Shecter wrote:
[...]

The only nickname I can think of for a 50 was "four bits" for the 50¢
......... you remember "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar. All for
Central stand up and holler!" Nostalgia reigns. :-)

--
©¿©¬
~

Old February 9th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
. ..
Bruce Remick wrote:
"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:
"e" wrote in message

wrote:

Fred Shecter wrote:
[...]

Sorry, Ed, I'm for EP High. Central was a hated rival.

Without resorting to Google, I still can't think of any widely-used slang
for a $50 bill. In the 40's and 50's it was the adults -- mostly in the
movies -- who used the terms sawbuck, double sawbuck, C-note, etc. (usually
gangsters or shysters, IIRC). For whatever reason, they never seemed to
refer to $50 bills. As kids, I never saw anything larger than a $20 at
home.

Bruce

State Quarters Rolls up for sale CHEAP! momentarylossofsanity Coins 0 January 22nd 07 03:13 PM
2006 GDs in Bumble Bee rolls at the Bank! Barney Coins 3 December 22nd 06 08:08 PM
FA: Unc. Rolls of Jeff Nickels and Lincoln Mem. Cents Jim Fekete Coins 0 May 4th 04 09:57 PM
Bank wrapped rolls Bill Krummel Coins 11 August 12th 03 02:03 AM
Who's at fault for wasting my time tonight? I checked ROLLS of nickels tonight.... Ron Coins 4 July 10th 03 09:51 PM