Missing understanding

Old January 25th 08, 03:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
chip1057

Default Missing understanding

Dear Group,
I apologized to Sue for words I thought were not directed at her, but
AutographDC members because we needed to tone down the talk about
something that didn't sit well.
I did apologize, and things should hopefully work out better. Sue's a
good friend,
and know her as a great collector and share information. Ken is also
a great post
too.
So there should be better things going now, and I'm thankful that we
all can collect,
sell, and talk on this group, and also on AutographDC. If anyone is
interested,
we also allow people to show autograph scans on the photo sections.

I do apologize to everyone.
Chip
Old January 25th 08, 04:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Um Chip, your name or group wasn't mentioned ... most people on here
are not on your group and nothing was directed there.

Only two posts were made there. One by someone else who was leaving
because upset by someone posting (partly because of the Heath Ledger
offer) but also because of things there. Then I posted only
addressing an opinion no the matter of celebrity death and autographs
because I felt if it was enough to help make someone leave, then maybe
it was a subject important to discuss.

After I made the post, the group was told to TONE down. Nothing in
the wording of my post was inflammatory or one-sided. In fact, I
tried to be politically correct and nice to both sides of the fence,
but I didn't want to be hypocritcal in case my feelings showed, so I
did state my feelings were it was tacky. That was the worst thing
said.

Obviously we know you say it wasn't directed at me and that's fine but
it obviously was. Your apology is apprecicate but not needed as you
are VERY entitled to do with that group as you will. So I instead,
decided it wasn't a good fit for me as I believe collecting is about
discussion as well as posting addresses.

That is why this group is good. It allows freedom to do such, with no
rules. Alas, it's also what's bad about this group. People get
arguing too much and it gets to name calling. It's hard to moderate.

Really, there should be a moderator and rules should apply. But there
does need to be lines SOMEWHERE along the way. It's a tough thing

Do you NOT feel topics which affect dealers, collectors, actors and
families should not be talked about? If you never talk about
anything, then nothing will ever have a general consensus. The
problem will remain.

PS Nobody mentioned Ken, and without his permission, probably not cool
you posted his name here.

For the record, we have a group too and not one problem since it's
conception. People are allowed to apply there as well. We do have a
couple common sense rules and a slight screening process to join. We
encourage everyone to apply

http://groups.google.com/group/Colle...Autographs-TTM

Old January 25th 08, 05:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
chip1057

Sue H wroteDo you NOT feel topics which affect
dealers, collectors, actors and
families should not be talked about? If you never talk about
anything, then nothing will ever have a general consensus. The
problem will remain.

Hi Sue,
I do feel that dealers and collectors should talk about topics that
affect us,. I just don't want anyone to be
slammed by someone that does not know stuff about collecting or
dealing in autographs. The death issue should be a great topic to
talk about.

Chip

Old January 25th 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
Sue H

Understand about people not being slammed. The problem is what it
takes to make someone feel like they are slammed. I personally feel
it's cursing, name calling, told what they are doing is not right
period, stuff like that.

Every person who posts ANYTHING has a personal opinion one way or
another. Even if they are on the fence, it's most likely 51% in one
direction so every single post about any controversial topic will have
a flavor of leaning one way or another. That does NOT mean that
person is slamming someone.

It's good for people to see both sides; so each can at minimum
understand how the other side feels. Hopefully, then if dealers
understand that maybe it's insensitive to some collectors and the
families of the deceased, perhaps they may be more understanding and
maybe alter how they approach sales. While on the other hand, if
someone is having a hard time financially, one could understand why
they sold when they did and not be so negative in their thoughts.
Greed is a fact of life; we are ALL selfish beings. Daily, we are.
But we can try to come together in like groups for the benefit of all.
In this case, it's autograph collecting/selling. Unfortunately, we
can't separate the two. Most people who collect by mail and in person
also buy. It's rare someone collects ONLY ttm or ONLY in person and
not buying anything and it's rare for someone to buy everything and
don't collect any other way. So the two are bound together causing an
oil and water problem. But there has to be a middle ground I think to
both sides. It's like the writer's strike in Hollywood, both sides
give and take till a middle ground is reached.

Old January 25th 08, 06:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
chip1057

I totally agree. It's about the hobby itself, and we all can get
along together with
collecting and selling autographs. And people do want to buy. IToo
bad it's been
slow on eBay right now.

But I doi agree with you.

Chip

Old January 26th 08, 12:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs
ken

wrote:
Dear Group,
I apologized to Sue for words I thought were not directed at her, but
AutographDC members because we needed to tone down the talk about
something that didn't sit well.
I did apologize, and things should hopefully work out better. *Sue's a
good friend,
and know her as a great collector and share information. *Ken is also
a great post
too.
So there should be better things going now, and I'm thankful that we
all can collect,
sell, and talk on this group, and also on AutographDC. *If anyone is
interested,
we also allow people to show autograph scans on the photo sections.

I do apologize to everyone.
Chip- Hide quoted text -

What I find fascinating about this whole topic is the fact that my
name is mentioned at all. Why it would be brought up when my issue
had absolutely nothing to do with the selling of a particular item.
It is obvious my issue was lost in my emails back and forth and I
thought those, which were off group were private. Why my name is in
here as needing to be apologized to when I have just joined this
particular group is a concern. That would be one of the reasons I
felt the need to leave Autographdc. I came here to try and share and
seek more information, only to find my name in a post. The sins of
trying to inform the uninformed.

ken