hinges

Old September 3rd 13, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

Default hinges

Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?
I remember when I was a child, back in the 70s, being at the local stamp
shop in my town of origin, in the Canary Islands. A girl had just arrived
the shop and was asking something about a huge hinged collection. I remember
having heard the local dealer, a lady btw, telling her that a hinged
collection was not worth a cent. Nowadays I see on most stamp catalogues
that stamps that has been hinged retain part of its value.

greetings,
Pedro

Old September 3rd 13, 10:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 9/3/2013 2:12 PM, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the
best type/brand. Anyone knows?

Dennison. Some others were about as good.

I remember when I was a child, back in the 70s, being at the local stamp
shop in my town of origin, in the Canary Islands. A girl had just
arrived the shop and was asking something about a huge hinged
collection. I remember having heard the local dealer, a lady btw,
telling her that a hinged collection was not worth a cent.

Bizarre to stupid. Anyone have any 'huge hinged collections' they do not
want?

Nowadays I see on most stamp catalogues that stamps
that has been hinged retain part of its value.

It only matters for stamps that would otherwise be truly 'mint' condition.

Old September 4th 13, 02:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Ray[_7_]

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:12:00 +0200, "Pedro"
wrote:

Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?

I recall that Rapkin's "Peerless" hinges were easily peelable, but I
don't believe that they are still available.

--
John Ray
Old September 4th 13, 03:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien[_2_]

I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the
best type/brand. Anyone knows?

Dennison. Some others were about as good.

Not available, nor are m most of the 'good' brands. Those that are
till made leave more remnant and markings than the 'old' ones ever
did.

I remember when I was a child, back in the 70s, being at the local stamp
shop in my town of origin, in the Canary Islands. A girl had just
arrived the shop and was asking something about a huge hinged
collection. I remember having heard the local dealer, a lady btw,
telling her that a hinged collection was not worth a cent.

Bizarre to stupid. Anyone have any 'huge hinged collections' they do not
want?

Hinged used doesn't matter, hinged mint after about 1930 does ...
The NH craze has made most items later than that worth 1/4 of the
equivalent NH.

Did you know that in the 1890's collectors were urged to 'wash off the
glue' to prevent the first gums from cracking [and destroying!] the
stamp's paper?
Old September 5th 13, 11:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

"Pedro" wrote in message ...

Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?
I remember when I was a child, back in the 70s, being at the local stamp
shop in my town of origin, in the Canary Islands. A girl had just arrived
the shop and was asking something about a huge hinged collection. I remember
having heard the local dealer, a lady btw, telling her that a hinged
collection was not worth a cent. Nowadays I see on most stamp catalogues
that stamps that has been hinged retain part of its value.

greetings,
Pedro

It seems it is somewhat difficult to find good ones nowadays. I'll try the
brands you've mentioned on ebay

Pedro

Old September 5th 13, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pedro

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
news
[...]

Never heard of that. Very interesting to know!
Pedro

Old September 8th 13, 11:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

On 05/09/2013 23:41, Pedro wrote:

"Pedro" wrote in message ...

[...]

I find Prinz hinges reasonable, but few peel easily nowadays.

SG Hinges were awful!

--
Tony Clayton
www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

Old September 9th 13, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Colin McKenzie

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:35:57 +0100, Tony Clayton
wrote:
On 05/09/2013 23:41, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?
It seems it is somewhat difficult to find good ones nowadays. I'll try
the brands you've mentioned on ebay

Pedro

I find Prinz hinges reasonable, but few peel easily nowadays.

SG Hinges were awful!

In what way? They peeled cleanly and didn't fall off much when you didn't
want them to.

I investigated this a few years ago, and couldn't find any modern hinges
that would peel as well as my SG and 'colector-hinges' (sic). Luckily, I
then found about half a packet of the 'colector', which should see me
through, now that I mainly collect mint, so don't use hinges much.

I cannot see the logic in either using hinges that then have to be soaked
off when I want to move stamps round, or putting cheap used stamps in
plastic mounts that are worth considerably more than the stamps.

Colin McKenzie

--
Cycling in the UK is about as safe as walking, and helmets don't make it
safer. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.
Old September 10th 13, 06:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
KenK

John Ray wrote in
:

wrote:

Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?

I recall that Rapkin's "Peerless" hinges were easily peelable, but I
don't believe that they are still available.

I've not messed with my collection for many years but I last found that
"Dennis's Stamp Hinges" (not Dennison!) worked ok. The package says

G & K Hobby Supplies
2121 Beale Ave.
Altoona PA 16601

I have no idea if either of these is still valid.

Old September 18th 13, 12:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

wrote:
On 05/09/2013 23:41, Pedro wrote:
Hello friends,
I've read here, long ago about a brand of hinges that could be very
easily
removed without damaging the stamps, so they were considered the best
type/brand. Anyone knows?
It seems it is somewhat difficult to find good ones nowadays. I'll
try the brands you've mentioned on ebay

Pedro

I find Prinz hinges reasonable, but few peel easily nowadays.

SG Hinges were awful!

In what way? They peeled cleanly and didn't fall off much when you
didn't want them to.

In my experience they did not peel cleanly.

I investigated this a few years ago, and couldn't find any modern
hinges that would peel as well as my SG and 'colector-hinges' (sic).
Luckily, I then found about half a packet of the 'colector', which
should see me through, now that I mainly collect mint, so don't use
hinges much.

I cannot see the logic in either using hinges that then have to be
soaked off when I want to move stamps round, or putting cheap used
stamps in plastic mounts that are worth considerably more than the
stamps.

Colin McKenzie

--
Tony Clayton
www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk

Removing Hinges caeseraugustus General Discussion 2 September 30th 05 09:02 PM
Modern Hinges AK47 General Discussion 20 February 1st 04 07:19 AM
Hinges Grandpa General Discussion 1 October 20th 03 04:41 PM
Hinges John O'Brien General Discussion 5 September 11th 03 09:51 AM
Good hinges ? Craig General Discussion 15 August 3rd 03 10:15 PM