The economy vs USPS

Old June 15th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default The economy vs USPS

A year back USPS contacted city officials and wanted to know if they
were interested in buying the site of the downtown post office, the
city declined.
Two months back USPS announced they were considering closing the
downtown post office and moving all to the remote post office. Shortly
thereafter USPS announced there would be a public hearing June 16th to
get public input on the proposed closing. All this time petitions were
being gathered to protest the closing.
Last week USPS changed the June 16th hearing format to a informational
meeting on the proceedures of the closing.
Well, the remote post office parking lot is not large enough to handle
the extra traffic nor is the building itself. Three windows for a town
of 32,000 people? I think not.
There would be no change of address for the people with post office
boxes, however, the ones with the large post office drawers, mainly
businesses would have a new address.
Gee, maybe the internet is really killing tbe USPS.

Ralp[hael, the OLD one
Old June 16th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:25:43 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

NO, the USPS is killing the USPS !!!

All the surcharges and rstrictions on thickness, stiffness, etc. make it
far less likely I'd ship anything but a bill via ISPS!

As we have before, we differ markedly on our opinions of the USPS, so as
a counterargument:

Surcharging non-machinable items is one of the best ways for the USPS to
save the postal customer money. It places the cost burden where it
should be -- on the mailers of difficult-to-process items -- and shifts
it away from the day-to-day letter-writers and bill collectors who
compose the bulk of First Class Mail customers, whose rates will go up
more slowly as a result.

Introducing standards for dimensioning, thickness, rigidity, and
orientation of address label have allowed single items to be processed at
nearly (?) the same efficiency as presorted mail. The huge^H^H^H^Hlarge
investment in machinery for automatically processing flats (large
flexible envelopes) should pay off as well.

The immediate counterargument that occurs to me is that zone- and
remoteness-based pricing would accomplish much the same thing, and maybe
to a greater degree. But, idealist that I am, I believe the ability for
someone to send a letter from Fairbanks, Alaska to his aunt in Honolulu,
Hawaii for the same price as someone in Manhattan writing to his next-
door neighbor is a great leveler, societally, and an effort in which I
believe governments should be involved (despite the distinct movement
away from this in recent years, worldwide.)

However: I don't have any such idealism about sending a DVD to your aunt
for the same cost as a 1 oz. letter. Pay your fair share, please.

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old June 16th 09, 08:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
But, idealist that I am, I believe the ability for
someone to send a letter from Fairbanks, Alaska to his aunt in Honolulu,
Hawaii for the same price as someone in Manhattan writing to his next-
door neighbor is a great leveler, societally, and an effort in which I
believe governments should be involved (despite the distinct movement
away from this in recent years, worldwide.)

Anyone is able to send a letter anywhere for nothing or less. The good
question is who pays for this or similar gifts.

As long as USPS or other governmentally enforced monopolies, through their
internal efforts and improvements, could maintain their costs and assure an
uniform taxation in a big country, nobody would be against it. But if the
taxpayers are obliged to permanently support the lost of money (through
higher prices and/or taxation) the things change, because anyway they have
to help not only the USPS but also many others, similar institutions.
Therefore the citizens have also the right to limit their common expenses to
something that they can afford, and to demand from those who ask for more
then a commonly agreed average service to pay accordingly. TANSTAAFL!

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old June 16th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:26:25 +0200, Victor Manta wrote:

Anyone is able to send a letter anywhere for nothing or less. The good
question is who pays for this or similar gifts.
[...]
TANSTAAFL!

Offlist, please: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/Pw2BC27GGFVK3

Old June 18th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:26:25 +0200, Victor Manta wrote:

Anyone is able to send a letter anywhere for nothing or less. The good
question is who pays for this or similar gifts.
[...]
TANSTAAFL!

Offlist, please: http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/Pw2BC27GGFVK3

Answered by e-mail. Subject: (government & economy) vs. economy ;-)

Victor