I've bought a quarter dollar dated 1677.

Old May 17th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default I've bought a quarter dollar dated 1677.

And it's genuine! Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Old May 17th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message
And it's genuine! Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Good show, Billy! Scottish coins are devilishly scarce here in the States.
A typical coin show is much more likely to not have than to have any at all.

According to our catalogs, the "1/4 dollar" is also called a "merk" and is
equivalent of 13s4d Scots. But I don't understand all I know about that
system.

Mr. Jaggers
'enough to buy a wee snifter'

Old May 17th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 17 May 2006 19:15:57 GMT, note.boy wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Cool, but can I ask a question about the grade? The huge dent and the
detail would make me grade this at VG rather than F, is this just one of
those ebay grading things or do older coins get graded differently?
I'm using the look of the coin rather than any any specific grading
guide. But are the features on the back supposed to have some detail to
get a "Fine"?

Dave Hinz

Old May 17th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Cool, but can I ask a question about the grade? The huge dent and the
detail would make me grade this at VG rather than F, is this just one of
those ebay grading things or do older coins get graded differently?
I'm using the look of the coin rather than any any specific grading
guide. But are the features on the back supposed to have some detail to
get a "Fine"?

Dave Hinz

Myself, I would grade it fine. Scottish coins during this era were
notoriously lacking in quality of striking etc. Notice the die crack on the
reverse, this is very typical of this era. The Scottish mint in Edinburgh
was closed because of scandals involving fraudulent activities on the part
of the mint with metals purchases etc.

Note.boy got this coin for a pretty good price, I was going to put it on my
watch list, but I am still in the proverbial doghouse for spending too much
on coins when I was in Asia last month.

Old May 17th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

note.boy wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Nice, but that's a foreign coin. I thought at first it was gonna be a
US coin.

Old May 17th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Cool, but can I ask a question about the grade? The huge dent and the
detail would make me grade this at VG rather than F, is this just one of
those ebay grading things or do older coins get graded differently?
I'm using the look of the coin rather than any any specific grading
guide. But are the features on the back supposed to have some detail to
get a "Fine"?

Dave Hinz

If it's not fine it's very close to it, I find the reverse die crack
interesting.

The catalogue value for VG is £80, and for fine it's £130, in VF it's £270,
no values are given for better than VF as finding one of these not very well
struck coins above VF will be very difficult, and expensive, I was very
happy with the £31 I paid for it.

The same seller sold another one in good fine for £68.94, dated 1676,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419920211

I find it difficult to think of another coin, any coin, that would give as
much bang for the buck, it makes modern coins look most uninteresting.
Billy

Old May 17th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
ups.com...

note.boy wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Nice, but that's a foreign coin. I thought at first it was gonna be a
US coin.

The proper term is "world" coin. To Billy it is anything but foreign.

Also for the record, the Mexican two reales coins of the period circulated
in North America as "two bits" or a quarter dollar.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 17th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"note.boy" wrote in message
And it's genuine! Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Good show, Billy! Scottish coins are devilishly scarce here in the
States. A typical coin show is much more likely to not have than to have
any at all.

According to our catalogs, the "1/4 dollar" is also called a "merk" and is
equivalent of 13s4d Scots. But I don't understand all I know about that
system.

Mr. Jaggers
'enough to buy a wee snifter'

Dave knows a lot more about Scottish coins than I do so I'll let him explain
it. :-) Billy

Old May 17th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

note.boy wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Nice, but that's a foreign coin. I thought at first it was gonna be a
US coin.

It's not foreign, it's Scottish, USA is foreign. Billy

Old May 17th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

note.boy wrote:
And it's genuine! Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=8419179124

Nice, but that's a foreign coin. I thought at first it was gonna be a
US coin.

The proper term is "world" coin. To Billy it is anything but foreign.

Also for the record, the Mexican two reales coins of the period circulated
in North America as "two bits" or a quarter dollar.

Mr. Jaggers

I found one dated 1682 for sale by a dealer for £65, I like mine a lot
better. Billy

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/S.5620.82.0.html