People are stupid

Old August 24th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Default People are stupid

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:06:46 -0400, "Ukraina Dvi"
wrote:

Genetics has more to do with your health issues than all the stuff you
eat.
If you have good genetics, you can pretty much eat anything and get away
with it.

The problem of course is that nobody knows if they have the kind of
genetics that will prevent heart disease and cancer no matter how
poorly you eat or otherwise take care of yourself. Family history is
only an indication, not a guarantee. And besides lifestyle and
genetics, there's also luck. Your body can do a great job in
neutralizing threats from carcinogens, pathogens, and so on 99.999
percent of the time, but if your immune system is weakened by a cold
or flu or stress or whatever, you happen to be exposed to the right
(or wrong) carcinogen, and those early cancerous cells aren't
contained by your natural defenses, well, you're unlucky. That's why
people with no family history of cancer or heart disease can get them.
This is the main reason to eat healthy food, exercise, avoid smoke,
all the rest. Keeps your immune system strong.

Eat celery and grain all your life and a piano falls on you at age 45,
after faithfully having abstained from fully-loaded pizzas, overstuffed
Quiznos, Philly cheesesteaks, and gourmet French cooking. At least
you'll fit in your recycled wood fiber coffin. Twenty years beyond 45,
I've still got plenty of juicy foods I haven't tried yet. Next? Lobster
rolls with hollandaise sauce.

I'm getting healthier and healthier every day, due to diet and exercise.
I'm going to live to a ripe old age and die of nothing.

James
'another watercress salad, please, and this time hold the vinaigrette'

It's a well known fact that the older you become the less likely you are to
die, very few people aged over 100 die, almost none aged over 110 die. :-)
Billy

Old August 24th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Aug 23, 11:56?pm, "Honus" . wrote:
"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:12:59 -0400, "Ukraina Dvi"
wrote:

I must have missed the desire to have a sockpuppet disease here. It

seems
like lots of people feel a need at one time or another to create a new
personality. I personally find it hard enough to be my own damned good
self, why the hell would I want to be some other mentality? :}~

There are beneficial purposes for sockpuppets, or alternative
identities online. It's all been discussed many times, but worth
repeating. Say you have a communicable disease, public knowledge of
which could potentially make things difficult for your work life or
whatever, and you feel you could benefit from sharing experiences with
others who have the same. Sockpuppet. Say you need advice about a
legal issue, whether or not for instance you should whistleblow at
your job, and you don't want to risk exposing your intentions
prematurely. Sockpuppet. Say you want to talk freely about politics,
religion, or similar topics without worrying about possible
repercussions at work. Sockpuppet. Say you're a victim of spousal
abuse and want to meet others who have also experienced the same
without risking intensified abuse at home. Sockpuppet. Those are
positive uses.

Those aren't examples of sock puppets. I've never used any nym but "Honus"
in something like ten years of Usenet activity; your definition would
include me. Here's Wikipedia's explanation, which is what I've always
thought the term to mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_sock_puppet

"A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an
Internet community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity
through which a member of an Internet community speaks while pretending not
to, like a puppeteer manipulating a hand puppet.[1]

In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second
identities of people who already post in a forum to include other uses of
misleading online identities. For example, a NY Times article claims that
"sock-puppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity
to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one's self, allies
or company."[2]

The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym is the
pretence that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the
puppeteer."

I'm not upset, but around my corner of Usenet being called a sock puppet is
an insult. I'm merely anonymous.

Cloaking your identity can take on a sinister hue if you create more
than one to verbally attack others or talk with or defend yourself. I
engaged in this here by using three different sockpuppets over a
period of about six days something like six years ago to defend myself
against a seemingly unending series of fairly outrageous lies by one
particular poster. I sort of divided myself into fourths to defend and
praise myself. Lame.

And that of course is correct. Your definition (I believe) is just a bit
broad.- Hide quoted text -

And for your reading pleasure, an example of sockpuppet definition #2:

************************************************** **************************************
Reid Goldsborough May 30 2002,
8:25 pm

On 30 May 2002 16:57:54 -0700, (Bill
Fordler )
wrote:

Talking about coin magazines, are you the same Reid Goldsborugh who
wrote the article about early counterfeits in Coinage magazine? Or was
it Coins magazine. I always get the two confused. That was an
interesting article.

COINage magazine. Yep. Thanks. Glad you liked it. I haven't seen as
many of these counterfeit Bust dollars offered as authentic coins on
eBay over the past few months. But there was a while there when a new
fake as real coin went up every two weeks or so. Actually, about half
the time, the seller left the authenticity open, as in, "This is from
my grandfather's collection and I think it's real but I don't know
anything about coins that's why I'm selling it cheap." But as another
caveat, I believe some of the people with stories like this were
actually sincere. You just never know sometimes.

************************************************** *************************************

Yeah. Ya nevah know.

~Anka

Old August 25th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_2_]

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 04:56:21 GMT, "Honus" .
wrote:

Your definition (I believe) is just a bit broad.

You're right. "Sockpuppet" and "handle" aren't synonymous, though the
former is included in the larger category of the latter. I should have
used the word "handle," or "pseudonym," for much of this. Though if
you want to further differentiate, "handle" and "pseudonym" aren't
always synonymous either.

I'm not that picky.

Old August 25th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:37:55 -0700, Anka wrote:

And for your reading pleasure, an example of sockpuppet definition #2:

How about posting those of others as well? Scratch that. You're just
in pit bull mode right now, rabid pit bull mode. Sheer attack, teeth
bared, slobbering all over the place, all over my screen anyway, each
post of yours.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old August 25th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
How about posting those of others as well? Scratch that. You're just
in pit bull mode right now, rabid pit bull mode. Sheer attack, teeth
bared, slobbering all over the place, all over my screen anyway, each
post of yours.

What kind of computer screen do you possibly have if you see all this? My
gosh the wonders of modern technology.

Old August 25th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:09:25 -0400, "Ukraina Dvi"
wrote:

What kind of computer screen do you possibly have if you see all this? My
gosh the wonders of modern technology.

It has to do more with how you use the technology than the technology
itself. Technology, as the name suggests, is just a tool. PCs like all
technology can be used for good or for evil or for any shade in
between. It's not always easy differentiating these shades. You need
to be discerning, and sometimes you need to try to divine others'
intentions. On screen you can do this by reading between and under the
words you see. That's what I do with Anka, and that's how I know
exactly what she's trying to say even when she speaks in tongues or
issues forth her unique style of non-verbal grunts, drones, whirs,
purrs, and so on.

Old August 25th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

wrote:
[...]

To je lari fari. Ti se motis.

~Anka

Old August 25th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:14:23 -0700, Anka wrote:

To je lari fari. Ti se motis.

Ya vol, Herr Kommandant.

Old August 26th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:59:54 -0700, Anka wrote:

s/b jawohl

Stop flirting!