About those Post Office machines

Old September 29th 04, 03:54 AM
Michael G. Koerner

Default About those Post Office machines

Yesterday (Monday, 2004-09-27), I was talking with a local Postmaster
about those new credit/debit card only parcel machines that are
appearing at Post Offices nationwide. He told me that at least in
Wisconsin, ALL branches will be retaining at least one 'cash' stamp
vending machine when they get the new self-serve parcel machines.

The observation that I made in my posts from a couple of weeks ago about
'homeland security' in regards to their credit/debit card ONLY operation
was dead on correct. Since the Clinton years, they have wanted EVERY
'parcel' transaction to be on a tracable, face-to-face basis, mainly to
prevent any more of those 'Unibomber' type nutcases from attacking
again, among other related things. In addition to being credit/debit
card only, the machines will also take pictures of everyone who uses them.

Basically, they are are an attempt at a 'self-service' solution to the
lines at the counters for mailing parcels. Again, Post Offices here in
Wisconsin will be retaining 'cash' stamp vending machines, but other
states will vary.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old September 29th 04, 04:02 AM
saved92

Postal Clerks are soon to be obselete and this things smells like one more
move closer to a cashless society....wonderful!

___________________________________________ ____

_______________
Regards, | |\ ____

___________________________________________ | | | | | |

_______________

Old September 29th 04, 10:10 AM
TerryS

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message
Yesterday (Monday, 2004-09-27), I was talking with a local Postmaster
about those new credit/debit card only parcel machines that are
appearing at Post Offices nationwide. He told me that at least in
Wisconsin, ALL branches will be retaining at least one 'cash' stamp
vending machine when they get the new self-serve parcel machines.

The observation that I made in my posts from a couple of weeks ago about
'homeland security' in regards to their credit/debit card ONLY operation
was dead on correct. Since the Clinton years, they have wanted EVERY
'parcel' transaction to be on a tracable, face-to-face basis, mainly to
prevent any more of those 'Unibomber' type nutcases from attacking
again, among other related things. In addition to being credit/debit
card only, the machines will also take pictures of everyone who uses them.

Basically, they are are an attempt at a 'self-service' solution to the
lines at the counters for mailing parcels. Again, Post Offices here in
Wisconsin will be retaining 'cash' stamp vending machines, but other
states will vary.

--
___________________________________________ ____
_______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise
again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | |
_______________

Takle a picture ? Is there a warning on the machine ? I will have to look.

TerryS

Old September 29th 04, 12:44 PM
Bruce Remick

"saved92" wrote in message
Postal Clerks are soon to be obselete and this things smells like one more
move closer to a cashless society....wonderful!

Wonderful or not, I still enjoy the help and advice I get from our friendly
local postal clerks when I have to mail a package. The option to use a
machine for simple transactions is nice, too. But I also enjoy the
face-to-face contact with bank tellers and grocery checkers, too. Call me
a dinosaur I guess. I'm not ready for those self service things yet,
although I do like being able to pump my own gas. I accept the move to a
cashless society but expect I won't be around to see it in full effect. Sad
though that the few real people who will left to interface with in the
service industry will be staring off into space while listening to music in
their headphones, or checking their IM's on their cell phone while we're
trying to explain something or ask a question. Lot's more ominous to ponder
than whether people will embrace the new dollar coins, IMO.

Bruce

Old September 29th 04, 11:59 PM
Henry Mensch

On 2004-09-29 04:44:36 -0700, "Bruce Remick" said:
friendly local postal clerks

uh huh. we clearly live on different planets. my planet got the surly
postal clerks.

[the secret post office downtown has nice clerks, tho.]

--
# henry mensch / san francisco california
# http://www.henare.tk/

Old September 30th 04, 01:07 AM
Bruce Remick

On 2004-09-29 04:44:36 -0700, "Bruce Remick" said:
friendly local postal clerks

uh huh. we clearly live on different planets. my planet got the surly
postal clerks.

[the secret post office downtown has nice clerks, tho.]

As the original post suggested, both our postal clerks may eventually be
behind the wall where machines will be installed. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the
banter with my friendly clerks here in planet VA while I still can. Just
lucky, I guess.

Bruce

Old September 30th 04, 01:51 AM
saved92

the "wonderful" remark was meant in a sarcastic tone directed at a cashless
society and as for postal clerks, they are alright, except the one who told
me to "never bring these here again" these = sac dollars
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"saved92" wrote in message
[...]

No more golden dollars at my post office Cliff Coins 15 September 10th 04 02:04 AM
1981-D SBA from post office machine today Edwin Johnston Coins 2 February 22nd 04 01:51 AM
Post Office SBA find -- Richard L. Hall Coins 11 December 28th 03 08:28 PM
it really works Kelsibutt Paper Money 0 September 27th 03 11:16 PM
US post office to cut hours at many rural and small town locations John Stone Coins 3 September 3rd 03 11:54 AM