Possible identification?

Old August 31st 04, 03:14 AM
zax

Default Possible identification?

Any ideas on pointing me in the right direction to try and identify this
fellow?

http://img16.exs.cx/img16/2386/unknownG1.jpg

zax

Old August 31st 04, 12:22 PM
Earl Bollinger

Well, it does look late Roman to me, but there are a lot of Roman , Barbaric
and Roman provincial coins to look through for it.
I'd start looking at the coins after 200 AD to around 500-600 AD or so.
Unfortunately the words and abbreviations around the rim are missing which
might help narrow it down.
You'd have to look for a helmited bust on the obverse and when you get that
then look to see if the obverse matches up OK as well.

Old August 31st 04, 08:59 PM
Stephen Falder

It looks more Greek to me not my field but the helmet and lettering look
Greek style and I think the Caduceus is used most often in Pisidia but more
than that
you will need more expert opinion

Stephen Falder

Old September 1st 04, 12:46 AM
zax

It is puzzling me and I can't get a search lead. There are no visible
"words and abbreviations" around the rim, and close examination does not
reveal that there were any. It is nominally 14 mm and weighs 1.9 gms. The
reverse has a winged caduceus. The obverse has a helmeted bust that could
be Mercury (and the caduceus is a symbol associated with Mercury (or
Hermes), so that makes some sense. I am thinking that is 200 AD or earlier.
I searched Wildwinds for quite a while and found nothing similar. The
inscribed text is a real mystery and I think that there is another character
before the lower 'O' on the reverse. Moreover, I am not sure whether that is
an 'N' on the reverse...looks like it could be an 'A' with what may be an
'E'. Searching partial inscriptions of many combinations has not been
successful.

Here's a kicker...I was browsing the Bay and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Problem is, the seller doesn't know what it is either. There is less detail
on that coin than mine, so it is not adding any information at all. It is
described as possibly an AE quadrans, and that denomination is consistent
with the size - but it's not a big help with identification.

I will keep searching!

zax

Old September 1st 04, 12:49 AM
zax

Thanks for taking a look. Greek? I wish I knew! Are there any characters
that you can identify as definitely not being Latin?
zax

Old September 1st 04, 04:48 AM
Jim Roberts

"zax" wrote:
Any ideas on pointing me in the right direction to try and identify this
fellow?

http://img16.exs.cx/img16/2386/unknownG1.jpg

zax

That looks a lot like coin 1772 on this page on the wildwinds site:
http://www.wildwinds.com/moushmov/tomis.html

- Jim Roberts

(remove z's from my address)
Old September 1st 04, 05:06 AM
zax

"Jim Roberts" wrote in message
"zax" wrote:
Any ideas on pointing me in the right direction to try and identify this
fellow?

http://img16.exs.cx/img16/2386/unknownG1.jpg

zax

That looks a lot like coin 1772 on this page on the wildwinds site:
http://www.wildwinds.com/moushmov/tomis.html

- Jim Roberts

(remove z's from my address)

WOW! I have no idea how you found that buried in that plate, but...Sir,
thank you!

zax