Post Office SBA find --

Old December 20th 03, 01:04 AM
Richard L. Hall

Default Post Office SBA find --

I went to the Post Office last night to mail a letter and check my box. The
lobby is always open so I used the vending machine to get some GD's and
SBA's. As I usually do, I put $20.25 in and chose the option for 5-23c
stamps for $1.15. So I got 19 dollar coins and a dime. There were 2 1979-P
SBA's and one awas a near date (wide rim) and one was a far date (narrow
rim). I think that's the first near date I've ever found. I have to say it
was fairly obvious. Grades proably AU. Kewl.

Also, there were 17 GD's (10 2000-D of which 9 were bright and shiny and 7
2000-P of which only 1 was bright and shiny).

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949

Dating Coins from the reverse:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...erse_Dated.htm

Minor Errors: http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Errors//Errors.htm
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...s//Errors2.htm

Large and Small Date Lincolns:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...mall_Dates.htm

Viewing the 3's on Lincolns
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Comparison3's.htm
RCC FAQ:
http://www.telesphere.com/ts/coins/faq2.html

..

Old December 21st 03, 06:05 AM
DyzeeGF3

"Richard L. Hall" wrote in message
ink.net...
I went to the Post Office last night to mail a letter and check my box.

The
lobby is always open so I used the vending machine to get some GD's and
SBA's. As I usually do, I put $20.25 in and chose the option for 5-23c
stamps for $1.15. So I got 19 dollar coins and a dime. There were 2

1979-P
SBA's and one awas a near date (wide rim) and one was a far date (narrow
rim). I think that's the first near date I've ever found. I have to say

it
was fairly obvious. Grades proably AU. Kewl.

Also, there were 17 GD's (10 2000-D of which 9 were bright and shiny and 7
2000-P of which only 1 was bright and shiny).

--

Speaking of dollar coin finds, I pulled a 2003-P Sac out of a bank roll I
got today. I was very surprised to find that.

Old December 23rd 03, 02:11 PM
Fred Shecter

Some of us who got bags spent a few of them here and there just to
provide hidden
treasures in the re-circulated rolls. I thank the folks who either
spent some of their
2001 bags or who brought a few in their pockets from outside the LA
area. (The LA FRB says
they never ordered any 2001 GDs since they ordered a HUGE number or
2000 GDs. They were
all shipped to banks and now they have a lot of
commingled/re-circulated dollar coins).

-Fred Shecter

Old December 25th 03, 06:28 PM
Barney

Aram H. Haroutunian wrote in
:

I think that we, as a fraternity of pretty knowledgable collectors, do
not give to the commingling issue the weight we ought to. The whole
point of the redesign was to deal with the problem, real or imagined,
that people believed they gave away SBA dollars thinking they were
quarters. What the hell is our government doing, going to all that
trouble to completely revamp a coin because of perceived problems, and
then not removing the offending issue but, instead, foisting
commingled issues on us? Is this merely a question of losing focus?
Or is it asinine stupidity? I can't think of another alternative.
Aram.

I think your right. I've been mad and a bit ****ed about the fact that
SBAs are mixed with GDs though I never thought about it the way you
detailed it. Now that you have pointed it out in the way you described, I
beleive it boils down to stupidity by first not getting rid of the SBA and
2nd, by not eliminating the dollar bill.

This is an issue that needs to be raised by the people who can make a
difference. I've already written one letter and I know other letters have
been written, however it does not seem to be enough.

Barney
Old December 25th 03, 06:47 PM
Dr. Richard L. Hall

"DyzeeGF3" wrote in message
.net...

Speaking of dollar coin finds, I pulled a 2003-P Sac out of a bank roll I
got today. I was very surprised to find that.

Some people buy rolls of dollars from the Mint and take the best ones and
spend the rest. Sometimes collections get stolen and spent.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh

Dating Coins from the reverse:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...erse_Dated.htm

Minor Errors: http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Errors//Errors.htm

http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...s//Errors2.htm
The 200-P Dime:
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...D_10c_date.htm

Old December 25th 03, 07:18 PM
Grandpa

Barney wrote:

Aram H. Haroutunian wrote in
:

[...]

Thats because all the letters are quickly and easily trumped by the
banking industry and other political contributers & heavyweights. The
will of the 'Sheeple" is typically ignored because we continue to let
these clowns run this country by not voting them out.

Old December 26th 03, 07:25 AM
Michael G. Koerner

"Dr. Richard L. Hall" wrote:

"DyzeeGF3" wrote in message
.net...

Speaking of dollar coin finds, I pulled a 2003-P Sac out of a bank roll I
got today. I was very surprised to find that.

What city are you in?

Some people buy rolls of dollars from the Mint and take the best ones and
spend the rest. Sometimes collections get stolen and spent.

I have been 'seeding' the Appleton, WI area with 2002 and 2003 Sacs
during my routine changemaking at work. I throw one of each mintmark
(random year) into my change reserve for every roll or two of 2000 and
2001 coins that I use.

I will also likely continue this with 2004 coins when they become
available (unless, of course, there is a regular business strike
production run next year).

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old December 26th 03, 09:25 PM
DyzeeGF3

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message
"Dr. Richard L. Hall" wrote:

"DyzeeGF3" wrote in message
.net...

Speaking of dollar coin finds, I pulled a 2003-P Sac out of a bank

roll I
got today. I was very surprised to find that.

What city are you in?

Long Island, NY

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
it really works Kelsibutt Paper Money 0 September 27th 03 11:16 PM
Need cash? get the cash find out how Ohpineda Autographs 0 August 3rd 03 08:10 PM