GB Harrison + Sons printing sample (cinderella)

Old June 14th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default GB Harrison + Sons printing sample (cinderella)

Unlisted color variety of Chatfield # C.2.st.10 (c).

Harrison, who produced stamps for over 100
countries, including all British postage stamps
from 1934 until the 1980s, produced this stamp
to promote business and display the firm's craft
to prospective customers.

Founded in 1750, at different times, it operated
under a variety of Harrison names. It operated
under the name of Harrison and Sons, as inscribed
on this stamp, from 1854 to 1920. While undated
this stamp is similar in design to the Edward VII
and George V issues of the 1902-1924 period.
Size: 20mm x 24mm.

http://www.rigastamps.biz/catalog/340011.jpg

Old June 15th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Unlisted color variety of Chatfield # C.2.st.10 (c).

Harrison, who produced stamps for over 100
countries, including all British postage stamps
from 1934 until the 1980s, produced this stamp
to promote business and display the firm's craft
to prospective customers.

Harrison and Sons, who had wrested the British contract from De La
Rue in 1910, maintained the typographical tradition but came into
photogravure almost by accident. In 1923 they sent proofs of a series
portraying King Fuad to Egypt. The stamps were to have been
recess-printed from plates manufactured by Perkins Bacon but to
save time the proofs were run off in photogravure.

The Egyptian authorities were pleased with the result and insisted
that this process should be used for the actual stamps. One wonders
what the stamps would have looked like had they been recess printed.

Old June 15th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Douglas Myall

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Unlisted color variety of Chatfield # C.2.st.10 (c).

Harrison, who produced stamps for over 100
countries, including all British postage stamps
from 1934 until the 1980s, produced this stamp
to promote business and display the firm's craft
to prospective customers.

Founded in 1750, at different times, it operated
under a variety of Harrison names. It operated
under the name of Harrison and Sons, as inscribed
on this stamp, from 1854 to 1920. While undated
this stamp is similar in design to the Edward VII
and George V issues of the 1902-1924 period.
Size: 20mm x 24mm.

http://www.rigastamps.biz/catalog/340011.jpg

Such a badly centred `stamp' was not a good example of their craft for
publicity purposes. On the other hand perforation always seemed to
give this firm trouble and maybe it WAS a good example!

Douglas

Old June 15th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Rod,

Harrison and Sons weren't familiar with the photogravure process at that
time, in 1923. They had the Egypt stamps printed by the Nederlandsche
Rotogravure Maatschappij in Leiden, the Netherlands. People from Leiden
gave instruction courses to the Harrison staff how to print in
photogravure. Some part of the Egypt stamps may have been printed in
London later on; Harrison used the photogravure process only in 1928 for
the Gold Coast.

The Leiden printers did try to get a Dutch contract for stamp printing
around the same time as the Joh. Enschede contract had run out. It didn't
work out, Joh. Enschede got their contract renewed.

The NRM have printed several stamps - apart from the 1923 Egypt
definitives, the 1927 and 1928 30rappen Pro Juventute stamps of
Switzerland. The Egypt stamps were in photogravure with a corn or mosaic
screen, the Swiss stamps were in screenless photogravure. The screenless
photogravure was their secret process that they sold Goebel AG, Darmstadt,
Germany. The first reel-fed photogravure printing presses sold by Goebel
to State Printers were performing with screenless photogravure cylinders:
Vatican 1929 definitives [Instituto Poligrafico dell Stato, Roma] and the
South African Pictorials 1929-1948 [State Printers, Pretoria]

groetjes, Rein

Op Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:39:00 +0200 schreef Rod :

oups.com...

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old June 16th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"Rein" wrote in message
news

Rod,
Harrison and Sons weren't familiar with the photogravure process at that
time, in 1923. They had the Egypt stamps printed by the Nederlandsche
Rotogravure Maatschappij in Leiden, the Netherlands.

Interesting.
One is led to believe from the text I lifted, that it was an entirely
British endeavor.
My interest stemmed from study some time ago, on
how best, photogravure could used in stamp production.
(My offered text was lifted from William Finlay's "History of stamp design"
and I intended to supply some stamp examples, but in haste, hit the
"send" button)
I dug out his book again, and indeed, you are correct, Mr. Finlay
explains further on "photogravure was first applied to a British
colony in 1928 re the Gold Coast"
He doesn't mention the outsourcing of the Egyptian Stamps.
(One may ponder on the real choice there bing in regards to
price or appreciation of design)

Personally. I still find it hard to appreciate the adaption of this
medium, it seems to me to provide more examples of failure
that success.
Apart from the Norway 1939 30+5 ore, or the Romanian 1935
king set being exceptions, (I did like the 1923 Egyptian series though)
the process was marked by huge failures, and the ones that come to mind
are the ghastly King Edward8 of GB, the Bavarian 1914 set, and the GB King
George5
1934 set with plain background. (original design by an Australian

Thanks for your comments, it illustrates my lack of
good reference literature, working from "simplified"
catalogues.

Perhaps one day you may explain the processes betwixt the
mosaic screen, and screenless methods.

I looked at the pro juventate examples you give, ??
did you mean the (1929) issues? lake at lugarno
That seems to be another unclear, and blurred example
of poor process.
Rodney.

[...]

:

oups.com...

Old June 16th 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Rod,

when I lived in a student flat in Leiden in 1969, the NRM printing house
was just across the river and I could see it from the balcony. I was there
once before it closed down and all their archives somehow disappeared. I
had a good look at the stamps and proofs they made for quite alot of
countries [mostly in connection with later introduction of Goebel printing
presses], but I couldn't get the National Postal Museum interested enough
to acquire the archives before it got transferred to Haarlem [where it
presumably got lost ]

I was already interested in that printing method in those years and I
still am. I like it much better that offset-litho and to some extent
prefer it to recess/intaglio.

Philatelists don't know much about the process and tend to refer to it in
the context of 'flyspeck philately'. I do collect books connected with the
subject as well and also illustrated magazines.
The first time the photogravure method was used for magazine illustrations
was in 1910, in Germany. Ih 1913 the Dutch firm later know as NRM bought a
German license from Rotogravur and started the first Dutch illustrated
magazine using such process. I'm lucky to have the first year of that
magazine called "Panorama"! The next magazine 'Katholieke Illustratie"
changed to photogravure in their 50th [!] year of existence in 1915...

The nex method was ideal for illustrated magazines and not so for small
sized stamps like the Bavarian ones [in 1914 the first so in photogravure,
by F. Bruckmann in Munich].

I should write a "history of photogravure and stamps"

groetjes, Rein

P.S.

The Swiss stamps, 1927, 1928 30 rappen look like recess and that was meant
to be [unscreened photogravure = the poor man's recess]; the 1929 Pro
Juventute stamps were printed in photogravure by Joh. Enschedé en Zonen,
Haarlem. The Swiss stamp catalogues don't even mention these facts!!!

Op Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:20:21 +0200 schreef Rod :

"Rein" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

Old June 17th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Nice yarn Rein!

when I lived in a student flat in Leiden in 1969, the NRM printing house
was just across the river and I could see it from the balcony. I was there

I should write a "history of photogravure and stamps"

We are holding our collective breaths.
(I'd prefer a discourse on the differing screen methods)

P.S.
to be [unscreened photogravure = the poor man's recess]; the 1929 Pro
Juventute stamps were printed in photogravure by Joh. Enschedé en Zonen,
Haarlem. The Swiss stamp catalogues don't even mention these facts!!!

A scan for those who may wish to inspect:
http://cjoint.com/data/grdsg6FC6k.htm

(An insight on how your vision will look after 50 years old

Old June 17th 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Rod,

I particularly like the cancellation about posting your Christmas mail in
time....

groetjes, Rein

Nice yarn Rein!