The stamp designer's "other job"

Old June 17th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default The stamp designer's "other job"

The designer of this issue

http://cjoint.com/data/grorhNVpsW.htm

seems to have suffered from the bane of all draughtsmen
in the ability to present any sort of real likeness
of any lion I have seen, however, the "stylisation" seems
to have worked, because the issue is particularly attractive.
( because the stamp is worth more than 5 bob, then naturally
it won't be in my collection, so I borrowed a scan, a terribly
"badly centred" example)

At his other job, Mr. Harold Nelson constructed a nice India Ink line
drawing of a Caravel, to illustrate Dewar's Whiskey.
(with a name like Nelson, what else but a ship!)

http://cjoint.com/data/groonveaMz.htm

If we look closely, the carousel is flying the "Saltire" or
St Andrew's Scottish jack on the stern (Home of Dewar's Whiskey)
with the pennant on the main mast being the blue chequerboard flag
denoting "N" for Nelson, naturally.

Thomas Dewar was a bit of a lad as well, with many "sayings"
to be found if you employ Google.
My favourite:
"The inventor of the bagpipes got the idea from stepping on a cat. "

Rod

Old June 17th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"Rod" wrote in message
At his other job, Mr. Harold Nelson constructed a nice India Ink line
drawing of a Caravel, to illustrate Dewar's Whiskey.
(with a name like Nelson, what else but a ship!)
http://cjoint.com/data/groonveaMz.htm

Ooops.
Acknowledgement of the Dewar's image:
William Finlay "History of Stamp Design"

Old June 17th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Douglas,

it seems to me that not only Harrison and Sons had problems with
perforating postage stamps judging from this British Empire Exhibition
stamp...

groetjes, Rein

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old June 17th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

"Rod" wrote in message

The designer of this issue

http://cjoint.com/data/grorhNVpsW.htm

seems to have suffered from the bane of all draughtsmen
in the ability to present any sort of real likeness
of any lion I have seen, .......

I had always thought the lion on this issue was reminiscent of the Trafalgar
Square lions -

http://images.google.co.nz/images?so...ar+square+lion

- which I now find have been much criticised as not being very good
likenesses either.

Still I guess if you were called Nelson where else would you go for
inspiration - and no one ever got fired for imitating Landseer.

Old June 17th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Douglas Myall

news

:

The designer of this issue

http://cjoint.com/data/grorhNVpsW.htm

seems to have suffered from the bane of all draughtsmen

In fact is another piece of Harrison work.

Douglas

Old June 17th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Douglas,

In fact is another piece of Harrison work.

please explain!

groetjes, Rein

Op Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:25:09 +0200 schreef Douglas Myall
:

Old June 17th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod:

Here is a better scan of the issue.
http://content.answers.com/main/cont...age_Stamps.jpg

piece from Registered Letter with special registration label.
http://www.siyer.com/images/phgb05.jpg

Blair

Old June 18th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Yes, nice stamps indeed, Blair.
there is something enigmatic about the lion,
the more one looks at it, the more it surprises
that it was accepted.
It seems to have the body more of a dog, and the head
is out of proportion to the body.

Whatever, it works (for me) and is a very handsome stamp.

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rod:

Here is a better scan of the issue.

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...Empire_Exhibit
ion_Postage_Stamps.jpg

Old June 18th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day Rein,
I am not answering for Douglas,
but suggest the design was by Nelson, and the engraving
by J.A.C. Harrison, according to my catalogue.

"Rein" wrote in message
news
Douglas,

Old June 18th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"Gazza" wrote in message

What about Mr. Chalon's depiction
http://cjoint.com/data/gscyJtUy71.htm

To me, that's "morphing" years before the personal computer.

I had always thought the lion on this issue was reminiscent of the

Trafalgar
Square lions -

http://images.google.co.nz/images?so...rls=GGLD,GGLD:
2004-16,GGLD:en&q=trafalgar+square+lion