OT - They whys behind the widow maker and others

Old January 10th 04, 02:58 AM
Cliff

Default OT - They whys behind the widow maker and others

You may have noticed that I'm putting up a lot of coins with minor
problems (or big problem in some cases) and you may remember that my
sight is failing. I can no longer make out very much on any of my
coins and my daughter, who I thought was a budding collector, has
returned to college and abandoned our collecting hobby. Since I can
no longer enjoy my coins I'm liquidating them along with most of my
other collectibles. Most of my higher grade coins have gone to
Heritage for the FUN show, the lower grade and cheaper stuff has been
given away to kids, schools and scout troops (boy and girl scout). I
still have a lot of proof sets, semi-complete sets and other various
and sundry coins. You may notice that my pictures don't look very
well in the auctions. They look OK to me but my wife says a lot of
them are fuzzy. Since everything looks fuzzy these days they still
look fine to me.
I just wanted to explain why you are seeing a lot of troubled souls
(my coin children) going up. I'm not trying to stick anyone with bad
coins and I've done my best to describe them as well as I can.
Thanks for being here, I've been part of the RCC family for a few
years, have stepped on toes and in some cases idolized some of the
posters. I'll still be here reading and smarting off but my active
collecting days are over.
Cliff/eaby N5GWU

Old January 10th 04, 11:46 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:58:28 -0500, Cliff
wrote:

[...]

=========================
This is certainly NOT off-topic, Cliff. I think that any collector
who is into this hobby dreads the devastation of losing the sense of
sight. It has happened to my wife. I can think of nothing I dread
more for my own future. My prayers are with you, buddy.
Aram.
Old January 10th 04, 12:04 PM
F B

:-(((((
very sorry to hear about your eyesight, Cliff. BUT...... does
explain what you said to me about the pic I sent you.
Doris
"face value"

Old January 10th 04, 03:31 PM
Lyntoy1

Cliff-
Sorry to hear about your failing eyesight, but do keep posting! Best of luck,
and I hope you can find some hobby that you find as interesting to you as coins
as a replacement! Mike
Old January 10th 04, 04:15 PM
phil

Cliff-
Like everyone else,I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight.Please continue in
the hobby by becoming a great source of info and advice,so that those of us
with less experience and knowledge can continue to learn an share the common
interest we all share.
When I was younger,I competed in a sport that was extremely demanding.I had
a friend who eventually lost his eyesight to diabetes.(He eventually lost
his legs and some of his fingers also).He dedicated his life to becoming one
of the foremost authorities on the sport and art he loved,and was able to
continue for the rest of his life.His continued involvement enriched the
lives of everyone he touched,and was a source of inspiration for countless
numbers of people.
I hope you can continue to post and inspire all of us for years to come.
phil

Old January 10th 04, 04:17 PM
Edward McGrath

Two years ago I had come down with a medical problem that caused my eye
sight to become fuzzy for 10 days and it scared the **** out of me. I
myself was ready to give up coin collecting being that I couldn't see
coins very well I figured what was the point. My doctor gave me
medications and said I was lucky to get my eye sight back to almost as
good as it once was. Cliff my prayers go out to you. Ed