German stamp identification?

Old December 23rd 05, 05:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default German stamp identification?

I can identify the stamps on the left but I don't know the significance
of the attatchments?
The overprint on the right does not seem to be in the scott catalog?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ny/GR2prop.jpg

Old December 23rd 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Treacan" wrote
I can identify the stamps on the left but I don't know the significance
of the attatchments?
The overprint on the right does not seem to be in the scott catalog?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ny/GR2prop.jpg

The attachement of the two stamps show the value of the complete stamp
row,
of ten stamps added from row to row.
So the post clerk could always see, what the was value of the residual
stamp bow.

2000 4000 6000 (8000) (10000) (12000) (14000) ... (20000)

200 200 200 sold sold sold sold sold
200 200 200 .....
200 200 200
200 200 sold
200 200 sold
200 200 sold
200 200 sold
200 200 sold
200 200 sold
200 200 sold
200 200 sold

The clerk always sold the stamps of a bow row for row from down to top
and from right to left.
After day's work he could count in this example: 3 x 200 + 4000 = 4600
M.
It helped him more, when the value was crook, esp. 1,60 M (one row =
1,60 M, 7 rows = 11,20 M).

On the right stamp I cannot find an overprint.
It is a stamp from 1902 without watermark or from 23. 12. 1905 (peace
variation / today hundred years old)
or from 1915 (war variation), both with watermark.

I hope it helps.

Regards

Peter

Old December 24th 05, 12:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Thanks Peter:
In other words the attachment have no value and I might a well tear
them off?
I asked about German stamp in order to save time. I guess I should look
at all the german states . I read somewhere that there were a lot of
false issues in this period It is from 1915 since it has a watermark.
Clearly visible by the way without using fluid.

Old December 24th 05, 12:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Treacan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
I can identify the stamps on the left but I don't know the significance
of the attatchments?
The overprint on the right does not seem to be in the scott catalog?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ny/GR2prop.jpg

Hi Treacan,

some information more for You:

the two stamps on the left are Scott 230 A 35, Top margin, Rotary Print
(2-9-2), first and second stamp of the complete sheet of one hundred. Michel
# is 269. In mnh the catalogue value is 3.00 € each.

the right stamp is the Germania issue, stamped in Bischofswerda in the year
1909. As Peter Fuchs wrote either the 1902 issue without watermark, Michel
Nr. 74 or the 1905 issue with watermark lozenge, Michel Nr. 89 I. There is
no overprint on the stamp. Stamp colour is redorange/brownishblack on
lightyellow. catalogue value used 0,80 € or 2,80 €.

have fine x-mas days and best regards

Gerhard

Old December 24th 05, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Since it's cancelled in 1909, it can't be from the 1915
war printing. It's from the 1905 peace printing.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article .com,
says...

Old December 24th 05, 12:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Treacan said, "In other words the attachments have no value and I might
a well tear
them off?"

The selvedge, or what you've called "attachments," may have minimal
cash value, but it makes the stamps more interesting and collectible
than they would be without it. Collectibility isn't just about cash
value, or even mainly about cash value. In this case, the selvedge
helps tell a story. If they were my stamps, I'd probably create an
album page just for them.

Bob

Old December 24th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

With the selvedge removed, they are normal stamps.

Without the selvedge, they are damaged goods, since the
left margin is missing.

My suggestion would be to split the pair, remove the
selvedge from the left stamp and keep it on the right one.

Old December 24th 05, 04:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Nice scans.
May I enquire as to your scanner model/resolution used.

Thanks

pookiethai at iprimus.com.au

Old December 24th 05, 05:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

I use an Epson Stylus X6600. I'm not really sure what the resolution is
but I will check it out and get back to you. I'm going to bed right now
LOL

Old December 24th 05, 07:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

That is a nice scan, but it has more to do with scanning technique*
than the scanner itself. My scanner, an Agfa Snapscan e40, is going on
five years old and cost me all of CDN $125; what I do to get images
likeTreacan's is scan at 800% of actual size and sharpen the image
slightly. I could do the sharpening at the scanning stage, but I'm a
control freak. Since 800% creates an image too large for most uses, I
size it down to something more manageable.

Bob

* I use the word "technique" loosely, because I still don't really
understand scanning. Took me ages to learn by trial and error how to
get a decent image.