Russia : Large Format 4 kopek ID please:

Old February 23rd 11, 05:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Russia : Large Format 4 kopek ID please:

On Feb 23, 11:07Β*am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

Rod:

I cannot tell from the scans. Are there any varnish marks
(either horizontal or vertical) on the 4 kop. stamp?

The original stamp came out in several variations
between 1889 and 1917. The varnish marks were for
security from forgery.

Also check such places as Far Eastern Republic,
Ukraine, the Caucases etc. as they used and
overprinted this series.

I personally do not think that it is a revenue.
The front design of the stamp quite clearly
includes the words "postage stamp" in Russian.

ΠŸΠΎΡ‡Ρ‚ΠΎΠ²Π°Ρ ΠΌΠ°Ρ€ΠΊΠ°

Blair

Old February 24th 11, 04:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message

On Feb 23, 7:26 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"rod222" wrote in message

pond.com...

A large format 4k
Can anyone ID this monster?

http://cjoint.com/data/0cvpsAUAPJF.htm

Rodney,

I have asked on a Russian stamp collectors forum about this stamp. The
participants proposed the following images:

http://rusforum.mystampworld.com/dow...sid=0f22d1d8d6...

Now the question is if this unusual large format wasn't by chance cut off
the postal card and then perforated.

Do you know something about the paper of this stamp?

Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Victor:

If you look at the scan of the back of Rod's stamp,
you can see a box (for a stamp) and a doitted address line from
a postcard.

The box is the size of the small stamp. Thus this is an adhesive
stamp. A card cut-out would not pickup the lines.

I would not have washed the back.

4 kop was the foreign postcard rate in 1915.

Any postal stationery.that I have seen had regular size imprints

The mystery continues.

Blair

Blair,

The same objections appear also on the Russian forum but I wanted to be sure
at least about the paper and let them know.

Victor