Danish Søllested-stamp?

Old January 16th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Default Danish Søllested-stamp?

I am currently gathering information on the so-called Danish
Søllested-stamps: imperforate 15 øre violet coat of arm type stamps
from 1906:

http://www.tha.dk/Default.aspx?doc=W...lested&c1=1000

In a Danish magazine (Nordisk Filatelistisk Tidsskrift) from 1970 the
author mentions that a W. Foulk from New York owns a copy of the (to
me) 15 known copies. Have any of you heard of Mr. Foulk? and can guide
me to someone who knows what happened to that copy? Eventually provide
me with a photo of it?
Thanks in advance!
--
Mvh Toke

Se den mærkelige historien om "UPUs fader"
Joseph Michaelsen og hans mindemedalje:
http://www.norbyhus.dk/artiklermm/
Old February 13th 11, 09:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Toke Nørby wrote:

I am currently gathering information on the so-called Danish
Søllested-stamps: imperforate 15 øre violet coat of arm type stamps
from 1906:..snip

Now I've finished my story about the Søllested Stamps and the 6 year
and 48 days long (short) employment of the Danish postal clerk Ejnar
Hans Peter Hansen Olsen.

You can, if you like, read it he
http://www.norbyhus.dk/artiklermm/
(first article in the menu to the left))

Let Google translate the pages if you don't like the Danish language
;-)

Enjoy and let me know if your have corrections/addidtions, please.
Thank you.

Old February 15th 11, 09:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Victor Manta" wrote:

...snip
You can, if you like, read it he
http://www.norbyhus.dk/artiklermm/
(first article in the menu to the left))

Let Google translate the pages if you don't like the Danish language
;-)

Congratulations!

Based on my experience with Google translations from a less common language,
I can imagine that the possible corrections will refer not to the original
article but to the translation itself...

Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Thank you, Victor.

"A less common language"? We all speak that language in Denmark and we
are MORE than 5,000,000 people here!

Corrections. I meant that you hopefully could increase the number of
known stamps! but there are actually some of you who speaks and read
Danish! One even with the same given name as yours. :-)

Old February 16th 11, 10:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Victor Manta" wrote:

Thank you, Victor.

"A less common language"? We all speak that language in Denmark and we
are MORE than 5,000,000 people here!

...snip

Mvh Toke

Please don't take it as a critic or something similar. It is normal that
5M in DK speak their native language.

Victor - I was just joking :-)

I have a certain experience with Google translations from and to Romanian,
another less common language, spoken by about 30M only. I have noticed that
these translations are rather bad.

You're perfectly right!

....snip

On the other hand, the translations between English, German, French and
Russian, languages spoken by a far superior number of persons, are better in
Google. The reason could be that the users contribute by themselves to the
improvement of translations, and it seems obvious that the translations in
languages written by larger number of people have better chances for being
faster improved.

My given name is really quite common. In Denmark, in 2004, Victor was on the
place 12 but Toke wasn't in the first 50 ;-)

Yes, that's right! Toke is not a common name in Denmark. I have found
that some Danes don't know if it's a girls or boys name.

...snip

Old February 18th 11, 10:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Victor Manta" wrote:

Just found on the Web:

"Toke is a very curious old name. It seems to mean the mad or raging, and,

YES - that's me - Grrrr ;-)

growing into Tyke or Tyge in Denmark, was the name that was Latinized into
Tycho by the celebrated astronomer Brahe, who did not leave his madness
behind him with his name... (History of Christian Names, Yonge, 1884)."

http://www.20000-names.com/origin_of..._name_toke.htm

The astronomer Tycho Brache was celebrated for the first time on a Denmark
stamp that was issued on Dec 14, 1946, 400th Birth Anniversary, Michel 294.

Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Thank you - amusing reading.

It's obviously a viking's name and we have several stories including
persons named Toke. Toke is a common name on runic stones, I'm told -
and we have to grow up before we can prove that we (men named Toke)
are mad and raging. But my friends will probably tell you that I'm an
exception and a peaceful white haired old man :-)

Old February 18th 11, 12:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Toke Nørby wrote:
"Victor Manta" wrote:

[...]

I will say that despite the ravages created by the Google translation
service
I found it an interesting article about a classic rarity of which I knew
nothing beforehand.

Thankyou

Tony Clayton

Old February 19th 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"Tony Clayton" wrote:

...snip

I will say that despite the ravages created by the Google translation
service I found it an interesting article about a classic rarity of which I knew
nothing beforehand.

Thankyou

Dear Tony.
I'm glad you liked it - even with the strange Google translation!
As you can see from the auction prices the Søllested stamp is
extremely popular in Denmark - even we have an economic bad situation.

Old February 21st 11, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Toke Nørby wrote:
"Tony Clayton" wrote:

..snip

I will say that despite the ravages created by the Google translation
service I found it an interesting article about a classic rarity of
which I knew nothing beforehand.

Thankyou

Dear Tony.
I'm glad you liked it - even with the strange Google translation!
As you can see from the auction prices the Søllested stamp is
extremely popular in Denmark - even we have an economic bad situation.

Despite the recession, or possibly because of it, scarce stamps are
still popular as investments.

--
Tony Clayton

1955 Danish stamp with double surcharge Toke Nørby General Discussion 0 October 31st 10 05:01 PM
The Danish Silkeborg J.B.-two ring hand stamp Toke Nørby General Discussion 0 February 5th 10 03:23 PM
Very old Danish stamp album R Berg Marketplace 0 February 16th 06 04:32 AM
Danish cancel dan General Discussion 4 December 25th 05 09:59 PM
Danish Rigsbankskilling stamp (1851, 1853) DROGER Jean-Paul General Discussion 6 July 4th 04 01:24 AM