Check out this Half Dollar Redesign proposal

Old January 15th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Check out this Half Dollar Redesign proposal

in wrote:
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
in wrote:
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
sgt23 wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:39 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
RWF wrote:
"Dave Allured" wrote in message
The U.S. needs to drop the paper $1 and $2 bills, and the
penny, nickel,
and half dollar coins. Just use dimes, quarters, dollar coins,
and $5 coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

SO, you suggest rounding to the nearest 10 cents?
You, sir, are an ass.

I've been reading about the Comstock Lode of the 1870s, and the
financial situation that existed in the West at the time. It
seems that cents and nickels did not circulate there at all, as
the inflationary local economy dictated that everything would be
rounded to the nearest dime. That was one of the bullet points
used to promote the minting of the ill-fated 20c coins. The other
primary point was that the Spanish-American 2 reales was still
very much in circulation out west, and when one was tendered for
a 10c purchase, only a dime would be returned as change.

James

I really don't want too see a dollar coin, it makes us here in the
united states look very european. Then whats next the amero? I'm
sorry but I'm completely against this. Their has been nothing but
lies since the beginning about this saving us money. The only way
I would except a dollar coin if it was made of silver. Once our
government starts backing our money with silver and gold again. It
will be worth something and we will be out of this economic mess.

1) Study your U.S. history in some detail and you will see it
punctuated with financial panic after financial panic, depression
after depression. Our gold-backed currency prevented none of them.
The Great Depression occurred in spite of it.

2) The dollar-denominated coin is a European concept through and
through. It evolved directly from the Spanish-American 8 reales, or
"piece of eight", thanks to the ministrations of Thomas Jefferson
and other of our Founders. The name derives from a large silver
coin from Germany. We got along with this "furrin'" denomination
for over two hundred years. Dollar coins have been around since
1794 and are still here. What's your problem with them all of a
sudden?

3) I will not even attempt to explain yet again the savings in
switching to a metal dollar to save money, as your mind, by your
own admission, is closed. I will not waste my time trying to pry
it open. Enjoy.

4) Please learn the difference between "accept" (to welcome) and
"except" (to reject). Your failure to use the words correctly
often completely destroys your argument.

James

them furrin thalers are sure fun to collect, though. i'd love a
boatlod of
them maria theresa's.

I have only two, one original and one restrike, and somewhere a
website bookmarked that explains how to tell the difference. MT, as
everyone knows, was the Empress of Austria and mother of many, among
whom her son Joseph, who was played by Jeffrey Jones in Amadeus but
who, contrary to the screenplay, did not originate the phrase
accusing Mozart of writing "too many notes," and her daughter
Marie-Antoinette, who was whisked off to France at a disgustingly
young age to become the bride of the temporarily-impotent Louis XVI
and who, contrary to rumor, never said "Let them eat cake."

James

actually he wasn't impotenet, just rather would play with his toy
soldiers. he
spent his wedding night playing war......apparently all things girl
terrified
him.

There are several accounts of his having had a "deformity" that prevented
consummation. Once that was repaired by medical science of the day, such as
it was, things functioned normally. Those accounts, of course, could have
been nothing more than a whisper campaign designed to cast a negative light
on the long-childless couple. It is likely that we will never get
definitive proof one way or the other.

James

Old January 16th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jan 14, 6:38*pm, "RWF" wrote:
"Dave Allured" wrote in message

The U.S. needs to drop the paper $1 and $2 bills, and the penny,
nickel,
and half dollar coins. *Just use dimes, quarters, dollar coins, and $5
coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

SO, you suggest rounding to the nearest 10 cents?
You, sir, are an ass.

I'm an ass, too, because, not only do I support rounding to the
nearest dime, but I also support eliminating the quarter, and bringing
back the 20 cent coin, which would be Hell for vendors to reprogram
for a completely new denomination. But the quarter would be a pain in
the ass, since you couldn't make change for that odd 5 cents.
Hopefully, they'll start calling this new 20 cent coin a "fifth"

"Hey buddy, I gotta make a call. You got a fifth on you?"
Old January 16th 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

RWF wrote:
[...]

__________________________________

If you think the US is looking very European, perhaps you should consider
where most of the our immigrants have come from over the past three
centuries. *Meanwhile, we'll record you here as against the dollar coin..

P.S. *If someone should happen to hand you one, you can refuse to spend it
in protest.- Hide quoted text -

The europeans of now and 3 centuries ago are very different.
Old January 16th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Jan 15, 11:55*am, wrote:
In article , sgt23 wrote:

On Jan 14, 7:39=A0pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
RWF wrote:
"Dave Allured" wrote in message
The U.S. needs to drop the paper $1 and $2 bills, and the penny,
nickel,
and half dollar coins. =A0Just use dimes, quarters, dollar coins, and
$5 coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

SO, you suggest rounding to the nearest 10 cents?
You, sir, are an ass.

I've been reading about the Comstock Lode of the 1870s, and the financial
situation that existed in the West at the time. =A0It seems that cents an=

nickels did not circulate there at all, as the inflationary local economy
dictated that everything would be rounded to the nearest dime. =A0That wa=

s one
of the bullet points used to promote the minting of the ill-fated 20c coi=

ns.
The other primary point was that the Spanish-American 2 reales was still
very much in circulation out west, and when one was tendered for a 10c
purchase, only a dime would be returned as change.

James

I really don't want too see a dollar coin, it makes us here in the
united states look very european. Then whats next the amero? I'm sorry
but I'm completely against this. Their has been nothing but lies since
the beginning about this saving us money. The only way I would except
a dollar coin if it was made of silver. Once our government starts
backing our money with silver and gold again. It will be worth
something and we will be out of this economic mess.

sadly the world is too messed up to have coins with any chance of keeping a
steady value. if we were the only country doing silver, it would leave the
country as fast as made, like what happened early in our history.
we've beat it to death, but a dollar coin won't fly unless there's no paper
dollars.
i like dollar coins, but the one's i like are 38mm and not really useable..
how would our having real silver coins help? especially if we were the only
ones doing it? they wouldn't last a week before they were smelted and shipped
out.- Hide quoted text -

Because then our money would actually be backed by something other
than the false hope we have in our money now. I'm sorry to say it, but
me and my generation unlike yours was able to be. Have no faith in our
government anymore. The way we are seeing it and I hear this from a
lot of my friends. We will probably never be able to retire. We have
to work and pay for the mess that our government is leaving us right
now till the day we die. Unless by some miracle someone comes alone
and figures out how to cut the deficient in half in the next few
years. This will be the only way we will have to look at this mess. So
you guys can go head make fun of my grammar or spelling and what not.
But this how I feel. No dollar coin is going to save us anything. It
may help pay for the rest of your retirement life but we are still
screwed.
Old January 16th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , sgt23 wrote:
On Jan 15, 11:55=A0am, wrote:
In article =

..com, sgt23 wrote:

On Jan 14, 7:39=3DA0pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrot=

e:
RWF wrote:
"Dave Allured" wrote in message
The U.S. needs to drop the paper $1 and $2 bills, and the penny,
nickel,
and half dollar coins. =3DA0Just use dimes, quarters, dollar coins,=

and
$5 coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

SO, you suggest rounding to the nearest 10 cents?
You, sir, are an ass.

I've been reading about the Comstock Lode of the 1870s, and the financ=

ial
situation that existed in the West at the time. =3DA0It seems that cen=

ts an=3D
nickels did not circulate there at all, as the inflationary local econ=

omy
dictated that everything would be rounded to the nearest dime. =3DA0Th=

at wa=3D
s one
of the bullet points used to promote the minting of the ill-fated 20c =

coi=3D
[...]

..
[...]

how old do you think i am? i used silver coins for a large chunk of my life.
i retired some years ago, not by choice.
i don't remember making fun of you. i suspect you might want to look before
you jump....
Old January 16th 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Jan 15, 11:48*pm, wrote:
In article , sgt23 wrote:

On Jan 15, 11:55=A0am, wrote:
In article =

RWF wrote:
[...]

you jump....- Hide quoted text -

I don't know how old you are but I was speaking to the majority age
group here. Which or who are mostly over 50 from what I saw on a
average age topic posted here a few months back. The reason I brought
up spelling and grammar is due to people insulting me about it awhile
back. I may have also confused you because I replyed to your post. I
was posting to the group in genral and shouldn't have replyed to your
reply but deleted your text. I apologize for the confusion.
Old January 16th 09, 05:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , sgt23 wrote:
On Jan 15, 11:48=A0pm, wrote:
In article =

..com, sgt23 wrote:

On Jan 15, 11:55=3DA0am, wrote:
In article =

ups=3D
..com, sgt23 wrote:

On Jan 14, 7:39=3D3DA0pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com=

wrot=3D
e:
RWF wrote:
"Dave Allured" wrote in message
The U.S. needs to drop the paper $1 and $2 bills, and the penny,
nickel,
and half dollar coins. =3D3DA0Just use dimes, quarters, dollar c=

oins,=3D
and
$5 coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

SO, you suggest rounding to the nearest 10 cents?
You, sir, are an ass.

I've been reading about the Comstock Lode of the 1870s, and the fin=

anc=3D
ial
situation that existed in the West at the time. =3D3DA0It seems tha=

t cen=3D
ts an=3D3D
nickels did not circulate there at all, as the inflationary local e=

con=3D
omy
dictated that everything would be rounded to the nearest dime. =3D3=

DA0Th=3D
at wa=3D3D
s one
of the bullet points used to promote the minting of the ill-fated 2=

0c =3D
coi=3D3D
ns.
The other primary point was that the Spanish-American 2 reales was =

sti=3D
ll
very much in circulation out west, and when one was tendered for a =

10c
purchase, only a dime would be returned as change.

James

I really don't want too see a dollar coin, it makes us here in the
united states look very european. Then whats next the amero? I'm sorr=

but I'm completely against this. Their has been nothing but lies sinc=

the beginning about this saving us money. The only way I would except
a dollar coin if it was made of silver. Once our government starts
backing our money with silver and gold again. It will be worth
something and we will be out of this economic mess.

sadly the world is too messed up to have coins with any chance of keep=

ing=3D
steady value. if we were the only country doing silver, it would leave=

th=3D
country as fast as made, like what happened early in our history.
we've beat it to death, but a dollar coin won't fly unless there's no =

pap=3D
er
dollars.
i like dollar coins, but the one's i like are 38mm and not really usea=

ble=3D
..
how would our having real silver coins help? especially if we were the=

on=3D
ly
ones doing it? they wouldn't last a week before they were smelted and =

shi=3D
[...]

that's ok. i make mistooks, too.
Old January 16th 09, 12:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

wrote in message
I'm an ass, too,

Indeed!

Old January 16th 09, 02:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

RWF wrote:
[...]

_________________

How profound! Are you reading my comment to mean that all Europeans came
here en masse three centuries ago?

Old January 16th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"sgt23" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 11:55 am, wrote:
In article
, sgt23

RWF wrote:
[...]

With that woe is me attitude, you likely will indeed get screwed since you
seem resigned to it. I retired 12 years ago and have never lost faith in
our country or government. I was raised during WW II so I, learned young
how to adapt my lifestyle to various economic conditions. I saved early on,
lived within my means, and kept my financial house in order. As long as you
rely on the government alone to keep you solvent without taking any creative
initiative yourself, all you can look forward to is more complaining.