Gates Mystery Car Winner Coin 1969

Old June 13th 15, 07:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Gates Mystery Car Winner Coin 1969

I have been researching the Gates Mystery coins and come across your question.
In 1960 my father was tending the service station in our home town of Watrous, Saskatchewan. The mystery car arrived at the gas pumps and my dad must have performed his job and attempted to sell Gates belts to the customer. He was awarded a plaque with five Canadian dollars. I have the award in my collection of "keepsakes" from my father.
I can send you a picture of the plaque if you would like.
Hope this helps.
Darcy.
Old November 7th 16, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 12:44:57 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have been researching the Gates Mystery coins and come across your question.
In 1960 my father was tending the service station in our home town of Watrous, Saskatchewan. The mystery car arrived at the gas pumps and my dad must have performed his job and attempted to sell Gates belts to the customer. He was awarded a plaque with five Canadian dollars. I have the award in my collection of "keepsakes" from my father.
I can send you a picture of the plaque if you would like.
Hope this helps.
Darcy.

That is awesome Darcy! Just today a fellow came into my store with three sets of them from 1963, 1965, and 1967. He and his father had a gas station in Middle Lake, Sask and he had much the same story. I am hopeful of obtaining them for my collection of oddities and antiques.
Old August 4th 18, 06:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

My Grandad ran a service station for nearly 30yrs. He has several of these Gates Awards/Coins.
Old July 25th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 7:33:33 AM UTC-4, Rustyz wrote:
Gates Mystery Car Winner Coin 1969,

I have a coin that has the words "Gates Mystery Car Winner" Dated 1969.

Can anyone tell me what this Dollar sized coin is about.

Old July 25th 20, 10:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 7:33:33 AM UTC-4, Rustyz wrote:
Gates Mystery Car Winner Coin 1969,

I have a coin that has the words "Gates Mystery Car Winner" Dated 1969.

Can anyone tell me what this Dollar sized coin is about.

IN 1967 I WORKED AT A TEXACO STATION IN ROGERSVILLE TENN AND A CAR CAME IN AN TOLD ME TO CHECK THE OIL, HIS FAN BELT LOOKED BAD AND I TOLD HIM, AND ASKED IF WE HAD ONE AND WE DID HE SAID HE WAS WITH GATES FAN BELT COMPANY AND I HAD WON A AWARD FOR TELLING HIM AND GAVE ME A plack in a motor background with 2 sliver dollars and 2 50c coins in it all were new coins i still have them still in plack, and they also put your photo in the paper, THIS WAS WHAT IT WAS ABOUT THANKS GENE ELKINS ROGERSVILLE TENN
Old August 1st 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Savard[_2_]

On Friday, September 12, 2003 at 5:35:07 AM UTC-6, oly2059 wrote:
If the attendant did so, they would get one of the coins and
would also be mentioned in a company newsletter/ and or advertisments.

Oh, good; the chance of redeeming the coin for a prize of an automobile was not
lost, because the coin wasn't that kind of a prize.

John Savard