Observation about 1909 S VDB Lincoln cent

Old September 2nd 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
HeeHawkeye

Default Observation about 1909 S VDB Lincoln cent

From what I read, when the public found out that the VDB initials were
to be relocated from the 1909 cent going forward after complaints,
they snapped up rolls of the coins. Are the high MS number specimens
that I see sold online most likely from those rolls? I see many VF
condition ones for sale too. The general public did not hoard them all
apparently and used them for commerce I guess, hence the wear. I think
I saw a ca. 1940's coin price book once that listed the 1909 S VDB for
$40 or so. So between 1909 and the 1940's the coin grew in scarcity
due to collectors growing in ranks? There was only about half a
million of the coin issued. I am actually surprised that many of them
were used for regular pocket change until what happened?
Old September 2nd 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"HeeHawkeye" wrote in message
From what I read, when the public found out that the VDB initials were
to be relocated from the 1909 cent going forward after complaints,
they snapped up rolls of the coins. Are the high MS number specimens
that I see sold online most likely from those rolls? I see many VF
condition ones for sale too. The general public did not hoard them all
apparently and used them for commerce I guess, hence the wear. I think
I saw a ca. 1940's coin price book once that listed the 1909 S VDB for
$40 or so. So between 1909 and the 1940's the coin grew in scarcity
due to collectors growing in ranks? There was only about half a
million of the coin issued. I am actually surprised that many of them
were used for regular pocket change until what happened?

If I recall, my old 1954 "Red Book" listed it at $12.50. A 1956 price list
from B. Max Mehl shows it at $40 in contrast to a 1937 price of $1.25. But
then in 1937 you could have bought lunch for five for $1.25.

Old September 4th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gene85

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:44:29 -0400, "Bremick" wrote:

"HeeHawkeye" wrote in message
From what I read, when the public found out that the VDB initials were
[...]

In 1937 White Tower and White Castle hamburgers were a dime or 12 for
a dollar.
I worked in a drug store in 1940 and a banana split was12 cents
Old September 4th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Gene85" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:44:29 -0400, "Bremick" wrote:

"HeeHawkeye" wrote in message
From what I read, when the public found out that the VDB initials were
[...]

I do remember White Tower burgers still at ten for a dollar into the 1950's.
I think they just kept getting smaller. I could never work (for long) in a
drug store that sold banana splits for 12 cents. Couldn't stand the
torture.

Old October 27th 14, 12:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Does anyone know if there were any 1909 S pennies without the initials VDB?