Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin

Old July 23rd 13, 03:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim_Higgins[_2_]

Default Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin

Here we go again, smoke and no fire

Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin
http://tinyurl.com/kp9f9w2

--
Civis Romanus Sum
Old July 24th 13, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Flaco

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:28:47 -0400, Jim_Higgins
wrote:

Here we go again, smoke and no fire

Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin
http://tinyurl.com/kp9f9w2

It might work, but the One Dollar bill would have to be withdrawn from
circulation and replaced with Two Dollar bills or maybe a new Three
Dollar bill.

(of course that would require rethinking the phrase "as queer as a
Three Dollar bill".)
Old July 24th 13, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

wrote:

Here we go again, smoke and no fire

Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin
http://tinyurl.com/kp9f9w2

It might work, but the One Dollar bill would have to be withdrawn from
circulation and replaced with Two Dollar bills or maybe a new Three
Dollar bill.

(of course that would require rethinking the phrase "as queer as a
Three Dollar bill".)

Our congress doesn't get much done these days. I don't see this situation changing any
time soon.

A do nothing congress ain't gonna do this.

JAM
Old July 25th 13, 11:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Dworetsky

Jim_Higgins wrote:
Here we go again, smoke and no fire

Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin
http://tinyurl.com/kp9f9w2

This will be opposed by the vending machine lobby on the grounds of expense,
and by those stuck in the past generally. In the longer term there would be
clear savings to the treasury; printing $1 banknotes that wear out quickly
(a few weeks?) is expensive.

The UK had the same initial resistance in 1983 when the pound note was
replaced by the pound coin. But now no one would want to go back, and there
is a standard £2 coin as well.

And believe it or not, there are criminal gangs engaged in forging £1 coins
on a large scale (perhaps 2% of coins circulating are fakes). These can
only be detected by close visual inspection or when they fail to register
through a vending machine.

The US needs a good $ coin design if it is to succeed this time. Certainly
not anything that is the size of a quarter.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old July 30th 13, 09:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Mike Dworetsky wrote:

Jim_Higgins wrote:
Here we go again, smoke and no fire

Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin
http://tinyurl.com/kp9f9w2

This will be opposed by the vending machine lobby on the grounds of expense,
and by those stuck in the past generally. In the longer term there would be
clear savings to the treasury; printing $1 banknotes that wear out quickly
(a few weeks?) is expensive.

Vending machines already take $1 coins.

Old July 14th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

Flaco Old_Fart@Home wrote in news:a1fuu8h70b2rjjeqqfa9lpngsn0r3j0f34@
4ax.com:

It might work, but the One Dollar bill would have to be withdrawn from
circulation and replaced with Two Dollar bills or maybe a new Three
Dollar bill.

Yes, the printing of dollar bills would need to stop and they will be gone
within 1.5 to 2 years.

No, replacing any cotton rag bill in the form of a $2 or $3 dollar bill is
not the answer. For any coin to replace a cotton rag of the same
denomination, that's the only way the coin will take hold like it did in
Canada.

In fact, they need to stop printing $1 and $2 dollar bills to be replaced
by the $1 and $2 dollar coin.

The cent needs to be withdrawn and I would argue so does the nickle. And
by the way, it almost costs 10 cents to make a dime. When it costs more to
make a dime, the minting of that coin should stop too.

Barney

Old July 14th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

Frank Galikanokus wrote in
:

Our congress doesn't get much done these days. I don't see this
situation changing any time soon.

A do nothing congress ain't gonna do this.

JAM

I agree. However, they need to take a stronghold of this situation and do
the right thing to stop wasting money.

Barney
Old July 14th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in
:

This will be opposed by the vending machine lobby on the grounds of
expense, and by those stuck in the past generally.

Why? Most vending machines have been set up to accept dollar coins for
years since the late 70s. And most noticeably since the year 2000.

In fact, coins work faster when compaired to cotton notes for the consumer
and have less issues when it comes to the equipment accepting payment.

there would be clear savings to the treasury; printing $1 banknotes
that wear out quickly (a few weeks?) is expensive.

One dollar bills typically last about 1.5 years.

The UK had the same initial resistance in 1983 when the pound note was
replaced by the pound coin. But now no one would want to go back, and
there is a standard £2 coin as well.

This is my main point. Americans will grip for a while and then move on
with their lives. The same thing happened in Canada.

The US needs a good $ coin design if it is to succeed this time.
Certainly not anything that is the size of a quarter.

There's nothing wrong with the design. Have you ever had a issue
determining the difference between a cent and dime? I didn't think so. In
fact, the cent and dime are closer in size when compaired to the quarter
and dollar coin.

It is the Susan B Anthony that's the issue since it's the same color as a
quarter and also feels the same on the edge. The Susan B Anthony dollar is
the one that needs to be withdrawn. It's possible with optical sorters,
but again, Congress needs to act.

Barney

Old July 14th 14, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Barney wrote:
"Mike Dworetsky" wrote in
:

This will be opposed by the vending machine lobby on the grounds of
expense, and by those stuck in the past generally.

Why? Most vending machines have been set up to accept dollar coins for
years since the late 70s. And most noticeably since the year 2000.

I have made a practice of obtaining rolls of dollar coins from my bank
and putting them into circulation. (What can I say? I have a thing for
lost causes. Anyone know where I can get a tape measure marked in both
inches and centimeters?) At one place I worked, I was using dollar coins
in the vending machines, which had no trouble recognizing them. One day
I find that an insert had been installed in the coin slot to prevent
anything larger than a quarter from being used. It was the same machine,
just modded to no longer accept dollar coins.

I no longer offer to accept dollar coins in change, as it confuses the
heck out of cashiers. The think I am asking for change for a dollar.

Some of the rolls will contain a few SBA's. Durring Girl Scout cookie
season, I try to use whatever SBA and Sacajawea dollars I have on hand
to purchase cookies.

--
Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
pciszek at panix | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
Autoreply disabled | --Ronald Reagan, October 26, 1984
Old July 14th 14, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RAV

On 7/14/2014 5:45 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
Snip
Anyone know where I can get a tape measure marked in both
inches and centimeters?

Assuming you're serious, here's one that looks like it's in both inches
and centimeters:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-33-158.../dp/B00002X2GG