ICCS - Candian coin grading service?

Old January 19th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default ICCS - Candian coin grading service?

On Jan 19, 10:31�am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
RWF wrote:
1) �How is it that two supposedly independent third-party grading
companies chose nearly identical (and very different from those of
U.S. TPGs) packaging formats?

Beats me.

2) �Wouldn't it be relatively easy to fake such packaging? �I'm
thinking that there have to be items such as 1921 Canadian 50c pieces
and Newfoundland 1873H 5-cent pieces residing in them.

All packaging is relatively easy to fake, although the flips used by
ICCS & CCCS seem to be especially vunerable.

3) �Have any fakes of these packages been confirmed?

If they have, it hasn't been reported by Canadian Coin News or the
RCNA.

How is the editorial content of CCN these days? �I used to subscribe years
ago, but somehow managed to let my subscription lapse. �I'm not actively
collecting Canadian any longer, but always enjoyed the publication.

James- Hide quoted text -

All,

Thanks so much for the information. My husband (the collector of
Canadian coins in this house) thanks you too.

~Anka
Old January 19th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

How is the editorial content of CCN these days? I used to subscribe
years ago, but somehow managed to let my subscription lapse. I'm not
actively collecting Canadian any longer, but always enjoyed the
publication.

I enjoy CCN.
All the latest news on RCM issues.
Recently there has been an interesting series on Canadian error coins,
an ongoing column about ancients and, of course, the trends.
It is a bit pricey for a bi-weekly publication though.

Old January 19th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
How is the editorial content of CCN these days? I used to subscribe
years ago, but somehow managed to let my subscription lapse. I'm not
actively collecting Canadian any longer, but always enjoyed the
publication.

I enjoy CCN.
All the latest news on RCM issues.
Recently there has been an interesting series on Canadian error coins,
an ongoing column about ancients and, of course, the trends.
It is a bit pricey for a bi-weekly publication though.

I could probably do without all the RCM announcements, but the error coin
series sounds neat, and trends are always of interest. I wonder if they are
any more accurate than U.S. price guides.

I'd just monetize the subscription cost under "numismatic tuition" and sleep
comfortably afterward.

BTW, Pierre Charest has just released the 6th edition of his Canadian
variety book. I just purchased the CD version and recommend it,
particularly if you don't have any of the earlier ones.

James

Old January 19th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

BTW, Pierre Charest has just released the 6th edition of his Canadian
variety book. I just purchased the CD version and recommend it,
particularly if you don't have any of the earlier ones.

I'm not familiar with this.
Give me more information, like where to buy it, etc.

Old January 19th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
BTW, Pierre Charest has just released the 6th edition of his Canadian
variety book. I just purchased the CD version and recommend it,
particularly if you don't have any of the earlier ones.

I'm not familiar with this.
Give me more information, like where to buy it, etc.

You can get the info he

http://www.pcfleet.com/book/en/index.htm

That link puts you heavily into Java, so it may take a while to settle down.
Also, I occasionally get a message from my AV saying that it just blocked an
attack on my computer, but nothing has ever come of it. You can buy it as a
hard-copy book or as a CD. I like the CD, as I'm not sure how a book might
survive the depredations of the two postal systems. Either way, it takes
its good old time getting through customs. But his diagnostic diagrams are
among the best I've seen for Canadian coins. YMMV, of course.

James

Old January 22nd 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"RWF" wrote in message

wrote in message
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. Help would be appreciated.

ICCS is highly regarded among collectors of Canadian coinage.
They package their graded coins in double-sealed soft plastic flips.
For some reason they don't have a web presence, a lack that many find
puzzling.

I've come across many U.S. coins in I.C.C.S graded flips Ebay auctions.I've
bid on a few but haven't won one yet.For the most part they bring a premium
over ANACs,ICG etc.

Old January 23rd 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Jan 21, 8:45*pm, "don't look" don't wrote:
"RWF" wrote in message

wrote in message
Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with this outfit? *I cannot find their
web site, only references to it. *Help would be appreciated.

ICCS is highly regarded among collectors of Canadian coinage.
They package their graded coins in double-sealed soft plastic flips.
For some reason they don't have a web presence, a lack that many find
puzzling.

I've come across many U.S. coins in I.C.C.S graded flips Ebay auctions.I've
bid on a few but haven't won one yet.For the most part they bring a premium
over ANACs,ICG etc.

Yes, I bought a Capped Bust half that ICCS graded VF20 and PCGS graded
it XF40.
Ebay will end the auctions for ICCS coins described as such if the
auction is originated on
the US Ebay site in all cases, AND on the Canadian Ebay site if the
coin is available to US buyers UNLESS
the bidding is listed in Canadian dollars.

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=600028058