Pakistan "overprint" ?

Old March 21st 08, 09:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default Pakistan "overprint" ?

I have a 1961 Pakistan Service overprint which appears to have an
additional "overprint" or perhaps a cancellation applied in blue ink
by a rubber stamp (?).

The stamp is off-paper but the op reads AFFARABA - but there may be
additional letters before or after as the word extends over the
complete stamp. It is only a 15p stamp so unless it is from an
envelope with several stamps it is unlikely to be "registered" which
was my first thought. Incidentally there is no "conventional" black
postmark thereon.

Any information,inspiration or just plain guesses gratefully
received !

Malcolm
Old March 21st 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 21, 4:27 am, malcolm wrote:
I have a 1961 Pakistan Service overprint which appears to have an
additional "overprint" or perhaps a cancellation applied in blue ink
by a rubber stamp (?).

The stamp is off-paper but the op reads AFFARABA - but there may be
additional letters before or after as the word extends over the
complete stamp. It is only a 15p stamp so unless it is from an
envelope with several stamps it is unlikely to be "registered" which
was my first thought. Incidentally there is no "conventional" black
postmark thereon.

Any information,inspiration or just plain guesses gratefully
received !

Malcolm

Could you possibly post a hi-res scan to cjoint or similar site?
Blair
Old March 21st 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Hi Blair

Sorry no can do. My scanner is connected, the scanner programme is up
and running but for some reason it will not work. I am waiting for the
non-resident "boffin" ( son's girlfriend !!) to come and look, but for
your further info. the mark is upper case ( capital ) letters and is
reminiscent of the "Druchsache" and "prioritee" markings applied by
some European countries but is across the stamp rather than on an
envelope - but this could be deliberate or accidental - letters are
4.5 mm tall and in "stamp-pad" blue ink - it is definitely hand-
stamped IMHO. I am puzzled why the marking is in "English" rather than
Bengali script - as an official stamp surely it's use is likely to be
restricted to within Bangladesh as a communication from a Goverment
department to a company or individual ?

Malcolm

Old March 21st 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 21, 1:44 pm, malcolm wrote:
[...]

During the early Bangladesh days, there were literally hundreds
of locally made hand stamps used on Pakistan stamps using
whatever stamp pads were to hand. These were done in English,
or Bengali, or bilingually. There were probably a multitude of
similar devices used (with other than Bangladesh) and I have
seen no comprehensive catalogue of this material.

Blair

Old March 22nd 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:40:56 -0700 (PDT), "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

Yep. Too many jokes sent out in e-mails. His computer is backing up
and overflowing...