Wanted: NSM CD Player / control schematics/help.

Old January 25th 04, 09:55 AM
Kiwi

Default Wanted: NSM CD Player / control schematics/help.

Hi,

i have a NSM Firebird with CDM 4/36 laserunit.

This unit is in bad condition and need repairs.

There are problems with the spindle motor,sometimes it works and
sometimes it's running slow in the wrong direction.

Is the problem on the motor pcb or the control pcb?
Is it possible to mail me the schematics in .pdf?

I like to have this machine running;-)

Greetings from Holland,
Iwein
Old January 26th 04, 09:26 AM
TopSurfer

Hello Iwein,
The CDM4 are often very hard to fail completely, until it just becomes
unreliable.
The Philips player spins the disc to find the TOC, when it does, it
increments the meter, positions the laser and plays the track.
When it doesn't, it keeps spinning, and runs in the wrong direction when the
laser "combs" the disc.
This is a good sign of a "failing laser".

Sometimes, when one hears a scraping noise, especially when the noise
correlates with the spin speed,
the problem lies in the spindle. It's easy to take it apart (two star torx
screws hold the assembly together).
Upon inspection, one could judge the wear on the spindle, and decide if
gluing it back together would work.

I've seen lots of spindles coming apart at the joints. And i've also
salvaged several players from going to
the trash can with a 50/50 success rate.

Hope this helps,

-bil

JUKE.biz
Your Friend In The Jukebox Business!
JUKE.biz: World's Greatest Resource Portal www.juke.biz
JukeDB: Jukebox Industry's First Online Database www.jukedb.com
JukeTrax: Online Title Strip and Title Card Software www.juketrax.com
Titlecard(tm): One Titlecard Fits All Makes and Models made by Rowe,
Rock-ola, NSM, Wurlitzer, Regatta, Universal, etc.

Old January 26th 04, 01:53 PM
Charley

Try cleaning the laser lens with window cleaner or alcohol on a Q tip. I've
fixed a few computer CD and CD-RW drives that way when they failed after
being used in dirty/smoky environments (like bars).

--
Charley

Old January 26th 04, 03:47 PM
Kiwi

Hi Bil,

thanks for your response;-)

This player was working when i found it. After a few days it started
to go mad:-(

I replaced the laser on the CDM4 /36 with a good laser from a Philips
CD230 player,this one used a CDM 4/19. (only the laser is compatible)

This worked again for a few days. I upgraded the control-board with
new capicitors for better sound and stable voltages.

After a few the days the problems started with the spindle motor.
Resoldering the spindle motor PCB was no solution.
Becausse i have no schematics or adjustment instructions it was hard
to find the problem.

After your post i decided to take a look at the focus and tracking
voltages. At this point it was wrong 50 and 620mv. I adjust this to 50
and 400mv and the player is working again.

I still like to have the schematics to see if everything is ok now;-)
I need the adjustmunt instructions for the pot on the spindle pcb.

I hope it's staying ok now;-)

Greetings from Holland,
Iwein