In Memoriam Frank Dubiel

Old December 12th 03, 02:26 AM
Licensed to Quill

Default In Memoriam Frank Dubiel

I'd be honoured to add my formal voice to this permanent tribute to Frank
Dubiel. I had known Frank for at least eighteen years since my first pen
show in Chicago in the mid 1980s. He had been an actual expert far longer
than I pretended to be and was always a permanent feature of the pen scene
and of this forum where no one can have noticed his willingness to respond
to ANY enquiry however mundane or however many times it might have been
expressed before. He will be sadly and sorely misssed. His knoweldge was
encyclopaedic and his collection-sales at show-end were amongst the most
memorable experiences of any show. He was always there with a happy comment
even when he was being irascible; no mean feat and one which could only
truly be understood by people who had the good fortune to come into personal
contact with him.

His quirks were legandary, - he always used to arrive at ANY show by train
even if it meant a 1930s-style journey from Fall River to Los Angeles
lasting a week and (with the exception of that unfortunate incident at the
First New York Show at the Roosevelt Hotel, - of which he was so curiously
proud) was always THE friendly face there to greet you, - somehow before
anyone else arrived.

I truly believe that no pen show will be the same again.

Jonathan

Old December 12th 03, 07:00 PM
Ada Ma

What happened at the Roosevelt Hotel?

I'll love to hear a story told!

Ada

Old December 12th 03, 10:08 PM
Licensed to Quill

Ada Ma

I think you will find it in his own words at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...oogle%2BSearch

Licensed to Quill wrote:
The quality of the rooms which
hadn't yet been renovated left something to be desired but I accidentally
missed putting anything about that in the original contract I negotiated
with the hotel: Sorry Frank (who didn't get a great room). mea culpa.

"Having a few 100 non paying guests in my room wasn't fun esp when I
eneded up in the ER as a result. But the hotel and Max and Tony handled
it as well as anyone could have and it all ended well. I misssed most
of Saturday due to the ER visit and being drugged out. When I recovered
and stumbled downstairs around 6pm Max and Tony insisted I join them as
their guest for dinner. The hotel took care of the hospital bill and
the replacement room (a giant suite) was free. By Sunday I was good
enough to do the show, if a bit slow, and a couple pen collectors who
were doctors checked in on me from time to time.

All and all it was a fun time and has become a classic story among pen
collectors. I should explain the 100s of guests in my room were bedbugs
that ate me alive Friday nite and woke me at 3am. In fairness I should
also explain my room was the only one with the bug problem I knew of and
the hotel checked their records and found some hikers or backpackers had
the room before me and may have brought em in.

I suppose this story will never die... LOL and unlike many stories this
one is completely true. Frank"

Old December 13th 03, 12:29 AM
smf

I would also like to add my sadness and praise of Frank. I met him for the
first (and only) time at the New York show a couple of years ago. I
attended his workshop and was in awe at being able to personally meet such a
legend. I know that it is a cliche, but with regard to Frank, it is very
true that "they don't make them like that any more."

Rest in peace, Frank.

--Steve

Old December 13th 03, 03:42 AM
Leigh E. McQueen

I would like to add my memory of Frank to this memorial to a fellow
collector and wonderful chap. I was first introduced to the gentleman
from Fall River in 1986 while attending my first pen show. My buddy
Brad and I met so many great folks on that outing, but my impressions
of Frank stand out as the key recollections of that day. Even though I
was a neophite, he did seem to mind taking some time to expand my
knowledge. Its 17 years later and I continue to enjoy this hobby.
Thanks Frank.....

--Leigh

Old December 14th 03, 04:05 PM
Frank Dubiel

Hi all!

Hey, I was only kiding.

I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

frank

Old December 24th 03, 08:38 AM
Nathaniel Hummel

I haven't been very active on this board for a while, so it came as quite a
shock when I read "Frank's Passing," and this thread. I never got to know
Frank all that well, though I tried to converse with him at the last 2 Los
Angeles shows. He could be marvelously grouchy and opinionated... but I
bought his book, always felt free to post a question knowing that he would
quickly and authoritatively respond to it, and I appreciated his knowledge,
his willingness to share it, and the force of his personality.

Long live his memory in our brother/sisterhood of the nib. He will be sorely
missed.

Nathaniel Hummel

Old December 24th 03, 07:18 PM
Ghost

In article , "Nathaniel
Hummel" wrote:

I haven't been very active on this board for a while, so it came as quite a
shock when I read "Frank's Passing," and this thread. I never got to know
Frank all that well, though I tried to converse with him at the last 2 Los
Angeles shows. He could be marvelously grouchy and opinionated... but I
bought his book, always felt free to post a question knowing that he would
quickly and authoritatively respond to it, and I appreciated his knowledge,
his willingness to share it, and the force of his personality.

Long live his memory in our brother/sisterhood of the nib. He will be sorely
missed.

Nathaniel Hummel

Frank grouchy??? I never noticed... lol

I too will miss his postings and I learned a lesson here too- I was going
to buy an autographed book from him- but I kept putting it off... too
late now.