1880 Silver Dollar worth and variations?

Old September 9th 03, 04:33 PM
Orca

Default 1880 Silver Dollar worth and variations?

I have been doing some research online attempting to find the differences
between 1880 silver dollars and their worths, however, I am not having
much luck.

I have an 1880 Silver Dollar and I'm curious what it is worth. It's in
excellent condition. Original. Has not been cleaned. Even has a ring
around the outside of it to keep the coin from getting dented, etc...

But...I keep hearing of Morgan 1880 Silver Dollars. What are those? How
are they different? How do you tell the difference between the various
types of silver dollars from that year?

Any help our pointers anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Orca
Old September 9th 03, 08:36 PM
RayEndo

Orca wrote:

I have been doing some research online attempting to find the differences
between 1880 silver dollars and their worths, however, I am not having
much luck.

I have an 1880 Silver Dollar and I'm curious what it is worth. It's in
excellent condition. Original. Has not been cleaned. Even has a ring
around the outside of it to keep the coin from getting dented, etc...

But...I keep hearing of Morgan 1880 Silver Dollars. What are those? How
are they different? How do you tell the difference between the various
types of silver dollars from that year?

Any help our pointers anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Orca

The following Web page has linkages to images of a Morgan dollar (1878-1921)
and Trade dollar (1873-1885) under One Dollar (silver).

http://coinfacts.com/Administrative/home.html

The US made only proof 1880 Trade dollars. Proof coins are special coins made
for coin collectors.

The estimated retail value of a Morgan dollar depends on the condition of the
coin and the present or absents of a mint mark.
The mint mark is a letter(s) "S", "O" or "CC". If there is no mint mark, the
coin was struck at the Philadelphia Mint.

The mint mark if present is located on the reverse side (eagle side) below the
ribbon of the wreath and above the letters "DO" of DOLLAR.

Go to the following Web site for estimated retail values for your coins. Click
on Morgan Dollars.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

Circulated coins are graded (coin condition) from Good (G), Very Good (VG),
Fine (F), Very Fine (VF), Extra Fine (EF or XF) and About Uncirculated (AU). A
coin graded Good is actually a worn coin.

Uncirculated coins are graded from MS60 (lowest) to MS70 (perfect coin).

I suspect that you have a Morgan dollar used as part of a jewelry (ring around
the edge) and is a circulated coin.
Old September 10th 03, 03:20 AM
Orca

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:36:15 +0000, RayEndo wrote:

[...]

Ahhh...many thanks. That was exactly what I was looking for.

It's an 1880-O Morgan. You were correct. I'm amazed at how little these
things are worth. I would say it's at least a Very Fine condition, which
makes it worth about $20 or less? Is that right?

Again...thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Orca