Topical stamps: Mustelidae

Old May 2nd 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

Default Topical stamps: Mustelidae

I'm putting together a new topical checklist for Mustelidae (mustelids).
These are the carnivorous mammals -- otters, sables, weasels, minks,
wolverines, martens, badgers, etc. -- that all have that "slinky" quality.

The initial list that I've constructed contains 272 stamps and souvenir
sheets from around the world. I'm sure I am missing many.

I want to submit it to the ATA, but I was hoping for some peer review
first. Does anyone have a checklist already on the topic, so we can
compare? My list is in a spreadsheet that can be sorted by date,
country, Scott #, Issue Name, etc., so does anyone want to do a ton of
work and cross-reference it with other catalog numbers, or provide the
dimensions (in millimetres, preferably) of the stamps? Anyone have lists
of cinderellas, Dunes, and so forth? Does anyone just *want* a copy for
their own use before the ATA starts charging for it?

I can provide lists of keywords (species and genus names for searches) if
anyone has access to electronic catalogs other than Scott 2007.

Let me know!

Thanks,

--
Joshua McGee, Pasadena, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old May 2nd 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 02 May 2008 04:39:44 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

I'm putting together a new topical checklist for Mustelidae (mustelids).

Oh, and please let me know how you want the list: .xls, .ods, PDF, etc.
The native format is .ods (OpenOffice).

Old May 2nd 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Joshua McGee"
of cinderellas, Dunes, and so forth? Does anyone just *want* a copy for
their own use before the ATA starts charging for it?

I would appreciate a copy in XLS,
that would be very nice.
I have about 10,000 cinderellas, but they organised
in my usual "random chaos" format.
I can submit lots of say 5-10 from time to time
as time permits, but wouldn't like to be held to any
form of commitment.
I can check any I may have, from your list prior to
submission.
Thanks.

Old May 2nd 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Joshua McGee"
I'm putting together a new topical checklist for Mustelidae (mustelids).
These are the carnivorous mammals -- otters, sables, weasels, minks,
wolverines, martens, badgers, etc. -- that all have that "slinky" quality.

How bizarre are you prepared to go?
I go down to "sticky labels"
eg: this from floorsweepings.
http://cjoint.com/data/fchFy3njZK.htm

There is a list of some stamp refs here
http://www.philately.com/philately/carnivora.htm
or is that considered cheating?

Old May 2nd 08, 07:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:32:47 +0800, rodney wrote:

"Joshua McGee"
I'm putting together a new topical checklist for Mustelidae
(mustelids). These are the carnivorous mammals -- otters, sables,
weasels, minks, wolverines, martens, badgers, etc. -- that all have
that "slinky" quality.

How bizarre are you prepared to go?
I go down to "sticky labels"
eg: this from floorsweepings.
http://cjoint.com/data/fchFy3njZK.htm

Yes, that's rather liberal, then, isn't it?!

I think local carriage labels / fantasy stamps / show labels are as far
as I'm willing to go.

There is a list of some stamp refs here
http://www.philately.com/philately/carnivora.htm or is that considered
cheating?

Profoundly not cheating, and THANK YOU. I just went from 272 to 288 on
my list, counting a few that the list references that I cannot find in my
catalogues.

Old May 2nd 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 02 May 2008 06:39:20 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:32:47 +0800, rodney wrote:

"Joshua McGee"
I'm putting together a new topical checklist for Mustelidae

There is a list of some stamp refs here
http://www.philately.com/philately/carnivora.htm or is that considered
cheating?

Profoundly not cheating, and THANK YOU. I just went from 272 to 288 on
my list, counting a few that the list references that I cannot find in
my catalogues.

Does anyone have contact info for the person(s) behind philately.com? The
links are dead in my browser, and I'm not getting any hints from source.
Their list contributed some to my list, I would like to return the favor.

Old May 2nd 08, 11:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Joshua McGee"
I'm putting together a new topical checklist for Mustelidae (mustelids).
These are the carnivorous mammals -- otters, sables, weasels, minks,
wolverines, martens, badgers, etc. -- that all have that "slinky" quality.

Do we include all badgers and ferrets? (badgers are slinky?)

If so, is humour allowed to be present in your list?
perhaps Bill Badger will appear, about to tuck into his birthday cake
http://cjoint.com/data/fcmXrD8Lim.htm
(not a good topic at the moment, the Poms want to cull Badgers
from certain farm areas, apparently they can carry Hepatitus iirc.)

in the meantime, here's an emission from "dodgy enterprises ltd"
http://cjoint.com/data/fcmH58gBwh.htm

Old May 2nd 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 02 May 2008 18:58:08 +0800, rodney wrote:

"Joshua McGee"
I'm putting together a new topical checklist for Mustelidae
(mustelids). These are the carnivorous mammals -- otters, sables,
weasels, minks, wolverines, martens, badgers, etc. -- that all have
that "slinky" quality.

Do we include all badgers and ferrets? (badgers are slinky?)

Badgers are the odd duck out, aren't they? Honey badgers more so.
They're the lumbering cousins to ferrets. Interestingly, skunks used to
be shoved into Mustelidae, too, but they got given their own family.
News on whether they're lonely now or not has not been forthcoming.

If so, is humour allowed to be present in your list? perhaps Bill Badger
will appear, about to tuck into his birthday cake

Bill Badger, a character with whom I was not familiar, does show up on
the list. I show a 24p from Guernsey with Bill on it on the list, but I
seem to have missed the NVI from your FDC.

http://cjoint.com/data/fcmXrD8Lim.htm (not a good topic at the moment,
the Poms want to cull Badgers from certain farm areas, apparently they
can carry Hepatitus iirc.)

Hadn't heard. That's unfortunate.

in the meantime, here's an emission from "dodgy enterprises ltd"
http://cjoint.com/data/fcmH58gBwh.htm

Batum in 1994, eh? That gives "Georgian Separatists" a new height/low,
doesn't it? Still, if I saw it, I'd snap that otter sheet up for the
back pages of the album. Maybe I could buy it in a well-chilled box lot
with some nice Sevruga.

Old May 2nd 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Fri, 02 May 2008 15:04:06 GMT, Joshua McGee
wrote:

[...]

Better than a nice Chianti with fava beans?
Old May 3rd 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Joshua McGee"
Bill Badger, a character with whom I was not familiar, does show up on
the list. I show a 24p from Guernsey with Bill on it on the list, but I
seem to have missed the NVI from your FDC.

The cover has mixed heritage, the NVI is a Royal mail "Greetings" stamp
Bill Badgers intimate details can be had here.........
http://cjoint.com/data/fdcKDCcjAV.htm

Batum in 1994, eh? That gives "Georgian Separatists" a new height/low,
doesn't it? Still, if I saw it, I'd snap that otter sheet up for the
back pages of the album. Maybe I could buy it in a well-chilled box lot
with some nice Sevruga.

Well enjoy your tipple with the Batum's sibling, Mr. Badger
http://cjoint.com/data/fdcFVzTRJq.htm