Fort Worth Coin Club Show this weekend

Old March 7th 05, 06:34 PM
BrotherBart

GET A LIFE.

GET A CLUE.

Get stuffed.

Old March 7th 05, 07:06 PM
Bob Peterson

"Anonymous" wrote in message
. ..

COMMERCIAL POSTS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON USENET.

Says who?

Old March 7th 05, 07:27 PM
Bobby Knight

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:06:50 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
wrote:

"Anonymous" wrote in message

COMMERCIAL POSTS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON USENET.

Says who?

Ask your ISP. That's a good start.
Old March 7th 05, 07:36 PM
Bobby Knight

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:18:12 GMT, James Brautigan
wrote:

You don't own the Internet. You can't tell people what to post. And
its not spam. Its non-commercial. It's not bulk. It is something that
people might want to know about. Its on topic. All that makes it NOT
fit the definition of spam. All the complaints have used far more of
your "precious" band width than the original post. Go to hell.

Jim in Vegas

It's stupid assholes like you that can bring Usenet down to the lowest
common denominator. No one owns the Internet, but there are rules set
down by others than you. Ask your Internet Service Provider....in
fact, drop an email. They'll tell you what those
guidelines are. The use of commercial names, and advertisement in
Usenet is something that has always been subject to having your ISP
account jerked.

Now, I know you think you're brilliant, but I worked for a major ISP
for ten years...they don't want these problems and will respond to any
of their users that SPAM....and not only on Usenet.

Your post is longer than mine....and if you hadn't responded there
would have been even less bandwidth. Besides, you live in Vegas, who
the hell asked you anyway?
bk
Old March 7th 05, 07:38 PM
jim menning

"James Brautigan" wrote in message
.. .

You don't own the Internet. You can't tell people what to post.
And
its not spam. Its non-commercial. It's not bulk. It is something
that
people might want to know about. Its on topic. All that makes it
NOT
fit the definition of spam. All the complaints have used far more
of
your "precious" band width than the original post. Go to hell.

Lookie. It's the same foul mouthed jerk that embarrassed himself here
just a few days ago by talking about stuff he knows nothing about.

Gary can post coin show announcements all he wants in RCC if their
charter allows, but AMOE is a marketing discussion group, not a
bulletin board for coin shows. As such, coin advertising is entirely
off topic and unwanted in the AMOE group he posted to.

Oh wait, you're the same fellow who couldn't understand what AMOE was
last week. Then you tried to cover your ass by talking about the
marketplace group instead. Didn't you learn anything from Friday's
discussion about what AMOE is all about? You must be a slow learner.

You also are still using the old definition of spam. Time to upgrade
your definitions. Oh wait, we tried to teach you that Friday also.
Boy, you are a really slow learner.

jim menning

Old March 7th 05, 07:38 PM
Bob Peterson

Why would the ISP care?

All the NGs have a charter. Most of them have common practice as well that
defines whether commercial posts are accepted. Many NGs are quite happy to
see commercial posts, including RCC.

The key to happy NG users is not to post messages readers of the NG don't
want.

Spammers are almost universally hated, but just being commercial in nature
does not make a post spam.

Besides, it would be hard to define a post about a non-commercial coin sow
as a commercial post, which is what the coward known as anonymous did. For
a wannabe net-Nazi, he did not even know that posting in caps is seriously
frowned on. My guess is a teenage boy , new to the Internet, who does not
understand the nature of newsgroups at all.

"Bobby Knight" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:06:50 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
wrote:

m...

Old March 7th 05, 08:00 PM
Bobby Knight

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:38:30 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
wrote:

Why would the ISP care?

They have people working on their abuse desks that answer these
questions all of the time. Most of the smaller ISPs get their
bandwidth from majors, and they're even more sensitive to SPAM...and
when they get those complaints from Usenet users the smaller ISPs are
put into a position of having to get tougher. They care.

All the NGs have a charter. Most of them have common practice as well that
defines whether commercial posts are accepted. Many NGs are quite happy to
see commercial posts, including RCC.

Have you read the DFW.Forsale charter?

The key to happy NG users is not to post messages readers of the NG don't
want.

Spammers are almost universally hated, but just being commercial in nature
does not make a post spam.

Depends on the charter, and what the bulk of the users on the ng
accept. Some only think that multiple commercial posts are the
definition of SPAM, but having been associated with some on abuse
desks, I can tell you that they don't view it this way. Customers are
usually warned at the first complaint, but I've seen them cancelled
when repeats happen.
bk

Old March 7th 05, 08:30 PM
richard schumacher

In article ,
"Gary Dorman" wrote:

What is WRONG with you people? Is usenet nothing more that malcontents and
jerks? I have received 2 emails
and a phone call from people chastizing me for making a commercial and off
topic post in THEIR newsgroup, stealing THEIR bandwidth and threatening to
have MY internet service cancelled. So it's OK for ME to waste my time and
reading and listening to THEIR rants, but if you are forced to read
something from ME its a horrible crime??

Ignore that guy. Either he's just trying to yank your chain, or he
really does have a 9600 baud modem and thinks it's still 1990, in which
case he deserves our silent pity.

BTW, thanks for the original notice.
Old March 7th 05, 10:30 PM
Evan Platt

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:20:00 GMT, Tom Rogers
wrote:

They don't understand that Usenet is a PUBLIC forum.

Most usenet groups have charters and rules. And your ISP has rules,
too. And one of those says you will abide by the rules of the usenet
group you post to.

Old March 7th 05, 11:27 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Byron L. Reed wrote:

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:36:29 GMT, Bobby Knight
wrote:

It's stupid assholes like you that can bring Usenet down to the lowest
common denominator.

How was the trip?

ROTF etc.

Thanks, Byron. My day needed cheering up. :-D