Machine stamp questions

Old February 12th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default Machine stamp questions

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message

"phantomm_1"
Rodney,
In the 2 examples I posted, there are no date and time.
Are these not suppose to have date and time?

Not the pre printed permits, used for bulk
http://cjoint.com/data/cmaiTeIIHN.htm

but the Pitney Bowes, you are quite right, and frankly I have no idea,
(now I am interested

This is why Newsgroups exist, we all learn

I'll snitch your scan and go looking on the web.
good observation.
rodney

Hello Rodney.

The mention of Pitney Bowes brought to mind a "discussion" Pierre Courtiade
and I had about the various models that we had used when we were still
working; Pierre at his Embassy and I at both my full time office in the
Cdn. Fed. Gov. and at the Embassy where I was part-timing at the time - two
different models. I can't remember how long ago that was (I don't keep
copies of NG messages) and I don't even remember whether it was on this NG
or on the French one. But I do recall quite a bit of detail bandied back
and forth. Some help, eh? Well, if Pierre is around he can probably
remember; being so much younger his memory is a lot better than mine.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old February 12th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

"Tony Vella" wrote in message

[...]

Did Pitney Bowes have anything to do with Coal Mining equipment?

Barry

Old February 12th 10, 04:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Wow, Tony, I'll attach that to my resume
Now I actually know someone who used one!
I have never seen one in operation, but would have like to.

I can search RCSD on Google, I'll give it a shot,
I went to another NG without success, but the comment was made the
example existed after the 1940's

What in the Dickens would be costing 1c after the 1940's?

The Thot Plickens.

"Tony Vella"

Old February 12th 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Not that I am aware of Bazza,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_meter

"phantomm_1"

Old February 12th 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Tony Vella"
The mention of Pitney Bowes brought to mind a "discussion" Pierre Courtiade and I had about the various models that we
had used when we were still

I found it Oct 7th 2007
Regarding Pierre's "Use a Franker" cover

I found it, regarding Pierres "Use a Franker" here
http://picasaweb.google.fr/Courtiade...58081886005746

Old February 12th 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"phantomm_1"
Would it be possible that it was used to make change for someone?
Barry

How so?

It could be a "make up" value, to address an underpaid cover
Maybe some light could be shed by understanding the text in the circle

Old February 12th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message

"Tony Vella"
The mention of Pitney Bowes brought to mind a "discussion" Pierre
Courtiade and I had about the various models that we had used when we
were still

I found it Oct 7th 2007
Regarding Pierre's "Use a Franker" cover

I found it, regarding Pierres "Use a Franker" here
http://picasaweb.google.fr/Courtiade...58081886005746

Interesting... I still wonder why no date on the other, unless they were
just setting up the machine
and had not fixed the date yet.

Old February 12th 10, 03:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Feb 11, 5:14*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
"phantomm_1"

Rodney,
In the 2 examples I posted, there are no date and time.
Are these not suppose to have date and time?

Not the pre printed permits, used for bulkhttp://cjoint.com/data/cmaiTeIIHN.htm

but the Pitney Bowes, you are quite right, and frankly I have no idea,
(now I am interested *

This is why Newsgroups exist, we all learn

I'll snitch your scan and go looking on the web.
good observation.
rodney

Barry / Rodney

The Pitney Bowes meter identifies the section
of the Postal Legislation and Regulations that
applies to that particular sending.
(ie section 562)

(The section phrases used we
1 - (Sec. 435 1/2 P.L. & R.) 5 - (39 C.F.R., 34.65(e)
2 - (Sec. 562 P.L. & R.) 6 - (39 C.F.R., 34.66)
3 - (Sec. 34.66 P.L. & R.) 7 - (Non-Profit Organization)
4 - (Sec. 34.65(3) P.L. & R.) 8 - (Bulk Rate)

The same notations are seen as part of
precancels on postal stationery envelopes.
http://www.precancels.com/envelopes/id_envs.htm

So, it could be said that this was a pre-cancelled meter franking.
(my words)

Blair
Old February 12th 10, 03:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Feb 11, 7:28*pm, "phantomm_1" wrote:

Did Pitney Bowes have anything to do with Coal Mining equipment?

Barry

No. They invented the postage meter.

http://www.pitneyworks.com/timeline/index.html

Blair