historic currency equivalence

Old September 27th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Default historic currency equivalence

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
On Sep 26, 1:55 pm, "Mette" wrote:
Not that I can answer your question, but today I ran into a 50c coin, that
came
from Turkey. The strangest thing was that it was a Euro-cent coin -- I
didn't even know that Turkey had joined Euro-Paradise. Does anyone know
when
this might have taken place?

Mette

Unofficial Patterns
On a number of previous occasions, especially before major coinage
changes, pattern coins have been produced as a design exercise or
to test public opinion. Many of these have been privately produced.

A privately produced pattern set of British euro coins has already
been produced, and met with intense demand, despite almost
negligible marketing. Original priced at around €40, these have
changed hands for over €250 on e-bay.
Really !!

That gives me an idea ;-))

We have not yet seen any suggested designs for Turkish
euro coins, but... Watch this space!

Old September 27th 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

On Sep 27, 12:37 am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Sep 26, 1:55 pm, "Mette" wrote:

Not that I can answer your question, but today I ran into a 50c coin,
that
came
from Turkey. The strangest thing was that it was a Euro-cent coin -- I
didn't even know that Turkey had joined Euro-Paradise. Does anyone know
when
this might have taken place?

Hello Blair,
Thanks for the scans. Quite interesting items. Before asking here, I checked
naturally with the European Central Bank, but for good reasons found no
relevant information. Havng seen your images I think though, that my "little
piece of Turkey" might be a play-coin.

Mette

Old September 27th 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Tony Vella" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi Mette.

Turkey is not officially part of the EU - their application was submitted
in 2004, if I remember correctly, and at the time it was estimated it
would take ten years for a final decision.

As much as I remember the Turks "tried their luck" already in 2002, when
Denmark took over the chair of EU.

The Cyprus situation, I believe, was
mentioned as a stumbling block. I read somewhere that many "Turkish
Euros" were made privately as trial balloons, but I have no idea by whom.
Probably this is what you got your hands on. Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

k...

Old September 27th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Victor Manta" skrev i en meddelelse
"Mette" wrote in message
k...
Not that I can answer your question, but today I ran into a 50c coin,
that came
from Turkey. The strangest thing was that it was a Euro-cent coin -- I
didn't even know that Turkey had joined Euro-Paradise. Does anyone know
when this might have taken place?

Turkey is not a member of the EU, and its road to becoming one is very
difficult..

A list of members can be found he
http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/eumembers.htm

Thank you -- I know this list :-)