Away on a road trip

Old November 10th 05, 12:15 AM
American Cars Powered By Chinese Engines.

Default Away on a road trip

DeserTBoB wrote:
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 08:34:57 GMT, "Andy" wrote:

thanks for the reply and yes do let me know when you get pictures of that
classic older car i love them. snip

These were the first of the Japanese econoboxes that had a little
"luxury" to them...if you can call it that. People who remember the
gas crunch of the late '70s value cars that get over 30 MPG. Back
when the CVCC Hondas were the best selling imports around, these sold
especially well because the CVCC engine didn't require a catalytic
converter to meet both California and the more lax Federal emissions
standards. The crap sold today can't get as much mileage, but they
all have something people don't really need...more power. The new VW
Jetta TBI, though, is a much better car, although VW's dealer support
sucks. With the turbo and 6 speed, the VW has a lot of power for a
diesel, but manages to turn in mileage equivalent to my old '79 Rabbit
1500cc diesel, which was naturally aspirated. The new TBI is 1900cc.
RIght now, I'm looking for an aftercooler setup for it.

I had a '79 Accord myself, bought it in 1998 for $1800. It had 120k
miles on it and I drove it another 60k and then sold it for what I paid
for it. Great cars.

I get a kick out of the Chevy Equinox being billed as "An American
Revolution" when it has a Chinese built engine in it. Damn thing is
assembled in Canada too. What a hunk-o-****.

Old November 10th 05, 12:23 AM
foreign scumbag masquerades as American

American Cars Powered By Chinese Engines. wrote:
DeserTBoB wrote:
[...]

If you want to buy bottom of the barrel, that's what you deserve.

Buy a Chevy truck with a V-8, where's that motor made ?

Old November 10th 05, 04:43 AM
DeserTBoB

On 9 Nov 2005 15:15:42 -0800, "American Cars Powered By Chinese
Engines." wrote:

I had a '79 Accord myself, bought it in 1998 for $1800. It had 120k
miles on it and I drove it another 60k and then sold it for what I paid
for it. Great cars. snip

I can't remember now, but I think the '79 was the first year of the
non-CVCC Accords with converters, which demanded unleaded gas. The
CVCC engine had 3 valves per cylinder, one for the "rich" auxiliary
chamber and one for the "lean" main chamber, and valve seals on the
auxiliary valve bodies were a routine maintenance item, or they'd suck
oil. However, if maintained properly, the Honda engines lasted fairly
well. Back in the '70s, I got 150K on a Honda Civic with the 1500cc
CVCC, but it didn't get any better mileage than the heavier Accord.
Weak spots on all Hondas back then : brakes, worst in the industry,
and rust back in the "rust belt." Out here, any car can last
indefinitely, since salt is banned on our roads. I got rid of the
Civic for a Rabbit L diesel, which was somewhat of a better car all
the way around. Another VW advantage back then were parts costs.
Brake rotor for an Accord: $95. Brake rotor for a Rabbit: $7.50.
Not only that, the VW's brakes were far better. Only area where the
Honda really excelled over the VW was handling; the Accord handled
like a sports car...rode like one, too, while the Rabbit, while it
rode better, was prone to mushy handling. The Accord was also a
"rattler," the VW diesel was quieter. It took me a long time work out
all the noise problems in the interior of the Accord.

I get a kick out of the Chevy Equinox being billed as "An American
Revolution" when it has a Chinese built engine in it. Damn thing is
assembled in Canada too. What a hunk-o-****. snip

LOL...I get a giggle out of these NASCAR ****heads who think Chevy
small block V8s are "American." They're not. They're Mexican, and
have about a 25% defect rate. GM is going down the tubes for one
reason only: their management is a bunch of losers, and they'll go
down trying to blame labor for their problems. GM hasn't built a
decent car in years, save for the Cadillac Division, which has now
traded quality for "ghetto boxes" and edgy styling and have suffered
major losses as a result. The only winner in the US now is Chrysler,
and that's because the krauts own it.

GM...the Wal-Mart of the automotive world.

dB
Old November 11th 05, 12:21 AM
rotted 77 Honda

The small block in my ' 70 Chevelle sure was American.

I'd rather drive a Chevy with Mexican parts in it, rather than a rice
burner with commie parts in it, anyday.

(snicker...)