**Tell Us about your favorite E-Bay Prank!**

Old February 1st 04, 10:09 PM
frank wight

Default **Tell Us about your favorite E-Bay Prank!**

I love to enter an auction that's already in progress.
There's usually two guys that have sparked a bidding
war and keep raising the ante by 27, 28 cents. Sometimes
the actual value of the product being sold is $75+...
And here these guys are down in the teens, locked in mortal
combat, bidding as much as they dare.

So I'll jump in and bump the bid price up to $25-35 dollars
just to get the competition going. It's cute when one of the
bidders takes a day or two to contemplate whether or not he
ought to out bid me.

One time I won a DDO MS-66 PCCS coins for something like $17.23
because the other guy balked. Yow! What a fantastic win!
Old February 1st 04, 11:13 PM
Dale Hallmark

Ok I will tell about one I am not proud of and if I had it to do again I
wouldn't.
It was wrong of me and I regret it a little. It actually can't be my
favorite as I only did it once
but........

I bid on certain tokens that are actually quite common and they don't have
much of a following
and sell very cheaply mostly.
For more than several weeks I was consistently being beat by this one buyer.
No matter what I bid, I never even got the top bid for a few seconds. I was
very frustrated to say the least.

I decided that what the bidder was doing was this.
He knew they were cheap, should sell for $2-$3 each and he wanted them.
So he placed a very high initial bid and walked away confident that he would
win.
And also confident that no one would be stupid enough to bid a cheap item
like this up much so he felt safe.

Once I figured out what he was doing, I chose a nice little token he bid on,
that I wanted, but worth $6 MAX on a super great day, and in the last 12
seconds of the auction, I placed a $25
dollar bid.

Dale
I lost and he has never bid on an auction I have bid on since
and of course I would have paid if I won.

Old February 1st 04, 11:38 PM
Colin Kynoch

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:13:46 -0600, "Dale Hallmark"
wrote:

[...]

Nice way of getting rid of the competition though Dale.

I might suggest that to my wife who keeps on coming up against someone
with seemingly bottomless pockets in one of her areas of interest.

Colin Kynoch
Old February 1st 04, 11:46 PM
Dale Hallmark

wrote:

[...]

Well Colin to practice this technique you have to carefully and
strategically choose your battleground,
develop your strategy, close your eyes and fire. Of course you should be
fully prepared for it to backfire :-)

Dale

Old February 1st 04, 11:50 PM
Colin Kynoch

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:46:25 -0600, "Dale Hallmark"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

If it got rid of this person I think it would be worth about $1,000 to
my wife

Colin Kynoch

Dale

Old February 1st 04, 11:52 PM
Stujoe

Well, there was this one fake platinum bar on Ebay...

--
Stujoe
Email: http://tinyurl.com/wu00

Old February 2nd 04, 12:29 AM
Dale Hallmark

wrote:

[...]

True but if you inadvertenly win the auction then you lost the battle.
:-))))

Dale
It is not as important to die in defense of your country.
As it is to make the other person die in defense of his.

Old February 2nd 04, 03:51 AM
0

It was wrong of me and I regret it a little. It actually can't be my
favorite as I only did it once
but........

It wasn't wrong of you.. you would have paid, and that is well within the
"rules of engagement."

I was looking to buy several similar items that a seller had about 14 of
listed in three minute increments. I bid the going rate in the last minute on
the first couple and lost.
The winner had an automated sniper program working. well, the next two I
increased my bid and won one of them. That left about 10 items for me to bid
on, which I did knowing that the snipe program most likely would soon be at
work. He won them all at his max.
A dirty trick? Perhaps for some, but according to ebay, as long as you honor
your bid and don't retract bids, you can bid as you please on what you please
when you please. They really don't care being they are just a venue after all.

I had expected to hear about it afterward, but I never did, which was fine with
me.

North Carolina --First in Gold Dollars.
Old February 2nd 04, 06:04 AM
Wes Chormicle

I listed "Pet Rock Cemetery" plots last month.

Got something like 1700 hits and no buyers...

Old February 2nd 04, 07:55 AM
Colin Kynoch

wrote:

[...]

But she would be prepared to wear it if it scared her competitor off.

She has since told me that she has put some scarily high bids on some
items when we were going to be away from the computter when the sale
was ending.

Colin Kynoch