ROCKOLA 468 PLAY PROBLEM

Old April 16th 05, 04:49 PM
gary smith

Default ROCKOLA 468 PLAY PROBLEM

When I select a record, the read out carriage finds it OK but the hammer
does not strike. The gripper motor picks up the record and starts the
transfer. Just before it gets to the turntable it blows the circuit breaker.
I keep resetting the breaker until it drops the record and it plays OK. It
then runs through the rest of the sequence OK. I have bought the manual and
checked all the fuses. All the relays have been checked by an electrician.
I'm at the point of buying a 10lb hammer and getting rid of some
aggression!!
Can anyone help please. I'm new to jukeboxes so If its something obvious to
you it wont be to me.

Thanks.

Old April 17th 05, 01:21 AM
Thomas Teeter

Charlie will probably be able to give better advice, but it sounds to
me like your readout coil (the coil that activates the hammer that
cancels the selected pin) is shorted out. Does it looked burned? Try
unsoldering the wire to the coil and then making a selection. If the
coil is bad, it won't trip the breaker (nor will it cancel the
selection). If it still trips the breaker, start looking at the wiring
to the coil.

Thomas

Old April 18th 05, 12:17 AM
CHARLIE MAIER

Questions first? I assume it's the mech breaker tripping, there are
three breakers. Does it fail on both top and bottom record sides? If
only one, Thonas is correct, likely the coil itself. With a meter they
should read between 25-35 ohms. An easy test is to stop the mech while
the record is transfering, slip a dolar bill between the wipers and the
rings. Turn the mech back on. If the breaker doesn't trip, you have a
bad coil. Number one reason for coil going bad is a bad #3 micro
switch. Change it!. Could also be a bad contact in the control box, but
rare, or wiring problem.
The timing described is a little confusing. The coil is energizes by
the #2 micro and released by the #3.
The #2 is activated as the tone arm travels to the record, which is
after the gripper transfers the record to the turntable. Might also
have a bad #2 micro. Check alignment and operation of switches, but #3
is def bad.
If coils check good, consider a tightness in the gripper mech tha'ts
slowing it down enough to trip the breaker.
Charlie Maier