So glad I found this forum...looking for recommendations

Old April 28th 04, 10:36 PM

Default So glad I found this forum...looking for recommendations

Hello - I downloaded the posts and immediately found what I was looking
for - recommendations regarding pens. I am looking for, (I am at least
partly sure about these criteria) a vintage, classic, fed from an ink
bottle, finer point (nib) type fountain pen. I know it's an open ended
question to ask for help on something like this - but I'm looking for a
writer - one with not so "wide" an imprint on the paper - big, solid, great
writer - durable - CLASSIC
what sites should I look at - who is reputable - what should I be asking
about regarding nibs, flexibility, etc - (I know a little knowledge is
dangerous) -
and finally, how can I keep from becoming completely obsessed with vintage
pens the way that I am with vintage watches?

Thanks to all for any responses - Pete in Pennsylvania -

Old April 28th 04, 11:38 PM
RAClifford

If you don't want to get obsessed, don't buy any. AT ALL

Try a sheaffer snorkel
Old April 29th 04, 01:23 AM
Bluesea

wrote in message
snip
and finally, how can I keep from becoming completely obsessed with vintage
pens the way that I am with vintage watches?

Be afraid, very afraid.

(sorry, couldn't resist - welcome to the group)

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 29th 04, 03:01 AM
Bernie Schmitt

wrote in message
Hello - I downloaded the posts and immediately found what I was looking
for - recommendations regarding pens. I am looking for, (I am at least
partly sure about these criteria) a vintage, classic, fed from an ink
bottle, finer point (nib) type fountain pen. I know it's an open ended
question to ask for help on something like this - but I'm looking for a
writer - one with not so "wide" an imprint on the paper - big, solid,

great
writer - durable - CLASSIC
what sites should I look at - who is reputable - what should I be asking
about regarding nibs, flexibility, etc - (I know a little knowledge is
dangerous) -
and finally, how can I keep from becoming completely obsessed with vintage
pens the way that I am with vintage watches?

Thanks to all for any responses - Pete in Pennsylvania -

Are you more driven to collecting, or to the use of the pen as an impliment
for putting ink on paper (not that the two are exclusive)?

Bernie

Old April 29th 04, 04:30 AM

I want to write - so I'm initially looking for a great writing instrument -
I journal daily and would like to correspond more (and get) away from a
keyboard- but the more I read about pens on the internet, the collecting
issue comes in - I suppose I would eventually gravitate toward pen
restoration as that is what I do in my watchmaking - for me it's about
learning - and the whole area of fountain pens seems absolutely
interesting -
thanks!

Old April 29th 04, 09:59 AM
Earl Camembert

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:36:34 -0400, wrote:

Hello - I downloaded the posts and immediately found what I was looking
for - recommendations regarding pens. I am looking for, (I am at least
partly sure about these criteria) a vintage, classic, fed from an ink
bottle, finer point (nib) type fountain pen. I know it's an open ended
question to ask for help on something like this - but I'm looking for a
writer - one with not so "wide" an imprint on the paper - big, solid, great
writer - durable - CLASSIC
what sites should I look at - who is reputable - what should I be asking
about regarding nibs, flexibility, etc - (I know a little knowledge is
dangerous) -
and finally, how can I keep from becoming completely obsessed with vintage
pens the way that I am with vintage watches?

Thanks to all for any responses - Pete in Pennsylvania -

I will let you in on a secret. English Parker Duofolds form the
fourths or fifties are what you want. They all have gold nibs with
some flex and come in several sizes. If you get a black medium size
pen it could be had for about twenty dollars. A senior in red could go
as high as sixty. I have never gotten one I don't like.
Old April 29th 04, 01:59 PM
Jolyon Wright

Earl Camembert wrote:

I will let you in on a secret. English Parker Duofolds form the
fourths or fifties are what you want. They all have gold nibs with
some flex and come in several sizes. If you get a black medium size
pen it could be had for about twenty dollars. A senior in red could go
as high as sixty. I have never gotten one I don't like.

totally agree - no need to collect if you have one of these; they dont seem
to come much better. not raved about much; I wonder if that's because of the
US contingent...

I think also that collectors may not write much & duofolds dont look that
special in a glass case. who knows; fashion maybe. let's hope it lasts!

jolyon

Old April 30th 04, 05:13 AM
so what

how can I keep from becoming completely obsessed with vintage
pens the way that I am with vintage watches?

You can't.

Hope this helps!

satrap
Old May 1st 04, 01:01 AM
kg

wrote in message
Hello - I downloaded the posts and immediately found what I was looking
for - recommendations regarding pens. I am looking for, (I am at least
partly sure about these criteria) a vintage, classic, fed from an ink
bottle, finer point (nib) type fountain pen. I know it's an open ended
question to ask for help on something like this - but I'm looking for a
writer - one with not so "wide" an imprint on the paper - big, solid,

great
writer - durable - CLASSIC
what sites should I look at - who is reputable - what should I be asking
about regarding nibs, flexibility, etc - (I know a little knowledge is
dangerous) -
and finally, how can I keep from becoming completely obsessed with vintage
pens the way that I am with vintage watches?

Thanks to all for any responses - Pete in Pennsylvania -

Ah Peter, you may be in trouble. I started looking for a finer nibbed pen
than the one fp I owned and used on a daily basis for meeting notes, etc.
That led to a Pelikan steno from Swisher, that led to ebay, that led to an
Esterbrook J that needed a new sac, that led to Frank Dubiel and Hal Arnold
providing advice on this group, that let down the slippery slope of vintage
pen accumulating and repairing, and here I am today with well over 100 pens,
mostly old, mostly repaired by me in my "pen cave". I'm headed there now to
re-sac a Wahl Oxford and see how it writes. My suggestion for a great
vintage writer is a Parker Duofold from the 40's. I refurbished a vacumatic
filler Duofold in green/brown stripes last night and it is one of the best
writing pens I have. Nice F/M line with a firm nib, feels great in the hand
and a nice size too. Bottom line is, you can't go too wrong with the pens
from the '20's - 50's if you buy a reasonable quality brand. There is a lot
of junk out there but even brands such as Wearever have great examples of
wonderful writers. I have a Wearever Pacemaker that is a great writer and a
good looking pen. Lots to choose from, good luck! Welcome to the
obsession.

Kelly G.