Rockola 1454 - Maybe it's not the selector unit?

Old November 20th 09, 01:40 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
NJ Mike

Default Rockola 1454 - Maybe it's not the selector unit?

My RO was having trouble consistently selecting. After much reading
and research, I realize that the only way to fix this problem is to
refurb the unit itself.

But before doing that, I thought I would try the contact cleaner
approach. I got a can of NuTrol contact cleaner and sprayed it onto
the pins. I worked them back and forth, up and down for at least 20
times each pin. I let the unit dry overnight.

The next day I fired the box up and quess what? No change...crap!!

What I did notice though is that in order for any selection to
register, there is a microswitch that must be closed. (The one on the
door that powers the title strip motor). With the door open, I closed
this switch with my finger, and the selector worked better, but not
perfect. I applied more pressure to switch, and the selector then
worked perfectly.

OK, coincidence?

Closing the front and latching it, the switch engaged (the metal
switch blade presses against an L bracket), but now the selector did
not work 100%. I then put a thin piece of cardboard between the metal
switch blade and the switch button to increase the leverage on the
button. Closed the door, and the selector works 100%.

I will be ordering a new YZ-2RL microswitch from VG.

Question: Could the fix be this simple, or could it be the selector
unit as well, and this is just a coincidence?

Mike

Old November 21st 09, 06:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim[_3_]

On Nov 20, 7:40*am, NJ Mike wrote:
[...]

I revived a 1454 last winter.You have a coil in the power supply that
turns on the scan mechanism.Also,if any of your selector tabs are in
the open position,it'lll scan,but should stop at that position..
I'd first look at the coil in the power supply.The one I worked on was
rigged to scan all the time because the coil was burnt.(Not a good
idea)Repalce coil ifnecessary with a bally pinball coil