The joys of numismatic research

Old March 20th 04, 02:50 PM
note.boy

Reid, have you had a humour bypass operation? Billy

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On 19 Mar 2004 22:55:42 GMT, (Ankaaz) wrote:

"The nationality of the first person mentioned in the Bible is.......Scottish,
a good question to ask a group of people as few get the answer correct."

That's a good one. ;-)

Are you being sarcastic again? For just a change of pace, why not try
to message here in a straightforward manner. It's very easy, really:
If you have information, offer it. That's all, whether it's about
coins, economics, or anything else... But you do have to own up to
mistakes this way. You can't just pretend you were being sarcastic.
That might be hard, I know.

--

Email:
(delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Old March 20th 04, 02:51 PM
note.boy

It will work on any group of Christians and not just Anglicans. :-)
Billy

Jorg Lueke wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:32:57 +0000, note.boy
wrote:

The nationality of the first person mentioned in the Bible
is.......Scottish, a good question to ask a group of people as few get
the answer correct. Billy

That only works on Anglicans though.

Old March 20th 04, 02:54 PM
note.boy

Have a look at this, fabulous. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ategory=34 06

"A.Gent" wrote:

"The Silver Jar..." wrote in message
om...
Omigod!

drool

Now *that* is drop-dead gorgeous.

May one be so crass as to enquire... (?)

At $950 i should hope it is... ;-) It'll be the most expensive coin
i've bought yet... another few weeks and i should have it.

As it's a sixpence it is also a very scarce denomination, and in such
a grade it's even better!

Sylvester.

Sixpences 1674-1694, King Stephen Pennies 1135-54 and James II Half
Guineas 1686-88

Thanks Sylvester.

My Spinks (2004) puts that at £1,000. $950 sounds pretty good.
Congratulations.

My only W&M, and hence my reason for admiring your 6d:
http://mendosus.com/jpg/william&mary.jpg

I *think* it was a ha'penny (once).

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Old March 20th 04, 03:42 PM
Ankaaz

I wrote:

"My husband says the Washington Redskins. I guess the typical answer would be
the Packers. Is he right or is the riddle more confounding than that?"

It -is- the Packers. Lombardi died before a Redskins game was ever played
under his tutelage. Correctamundo?

Anka ---- asked a football fanatic friend

Old March 20th 04, 03:47 PM
Ankaaz

Anka blathered before she checked Google:

"It -is- the Packers. Lombardi died before a Redskins game was ever played
under his tutelage."

Wrong.

Anka ---- wishes she were paying attention when all that stuff about
deleting from the Google archives was being discussed

Old March 20th 04, 04:07 PM
The Silver Jar...

Thanks Sylvester.

My Spinks (2004) puts that at £1,000. $950 sounds pretty good.
Congratulations.

My only W&M, and hence my reason for admiring your 6d:
http://mendosus.com/jpg/william&mary.jpg

I *think* it was a ha'penny (once).

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Well since i'm getting it for £525 with 10% off, so i'm really getting
it for £470, i think i'm onto a winner.

And i think you're right on thinking that your coin is (or was if you
prefer) a halfpenny, and definately a 1694 one. (unless it was a
farthing then it would most probably still be 1694 anyhow) ;-)

Regards.

Sylvester.
Old March 20th 04, 05:37 PM
Edward McGrath

Anka, now pay attention this time.
http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html #13 will show you how
to remove articles from google archive. Ed

Old March 20th 04, 05:56 PM
Ian

Ankaaz wrote:
Alladin Sane wrote:

"An even better one, what was the last team that Vince Lombardi coached?"

My husband says the Washington Redskins. I guess the typical answer would be
the Packers. Is he right or is the riddle more confounding than that?

Anka

Would that be a case of veni, vidi, vici (Vince)?
Old March 20th 04, 07:36 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:41:45 +0000, "note.boy"
wrote:

Too sharp for me it seems. Billy

The two of them seem so intent on proving they're sharper than other
people that they lose the purpose of all this -- communication. This
is all, in its way, an interesting subject, and it goes beyond the
sarcasm and other nonsense going on here right now. There's a lot of
this in academia too, with academics publishing not to further
knowledge but to keep their jobs and show off how intelligent they
think they are. This involves not only the subject matter but also the
way they write, with some thinking that the more abstruse they are,
the more intelligent they look.