The joys of numismatic research

Old March 20th 04, 09:16 AM
The Silver Jar...

Omigod!

drool

Now *that* is drop-dead gorgeous.

May one be so crass as to enquire... (?)

At $950 i should hope it is... ;-) It'll be the most expensive coin
i've bought yet... another few weeks and i should have it.

As it's a sixpence it is also a very scarce denomination, and in such
a grade it's even better!

Sylvester.

Sixpences 1674-1694, King Stephen Pennies 1135-54 and James II Half
Guineas 1686-88
Old March 20th 04, 10:12 AM
A.Gent

"The Silver Jar..." wrote in message
om...
Omigod!

drool

Now *that* is drop-dead gorgeous.

May one be so crass as to enquire... (?)

At $950 i should hope it is... ;-) It'll be the most expensive coin
i've bought yet... another few weeks and i should have it.

As it's a sixpence it is also a very scarce denomination, and in such
a grade it's even better!

Sylvester.

Sixpences 1674-1694, King Stephen Pennies 1135-54 and James II Half
Guineas 1686-88

Thanks Sylvester.

My Spinks (2004) puts that at £1,000. $950 sounds pretty good.
Congratulations.

My only W&M, and hence my reason for admiring your 6d:
http://mendosus.com/jpg/william&mary.jpg

I *think* it was a ha'penny (once).

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Old March 20th 04, 01:51 PM
Ankaaz

Reid wrote:

"So I don't know what Anka was so sarcastic about. She now seems very sure it
was James VI. Maybe he did his Bible thing before becoming king of England. But
my dictionary indicates it was James I, as does Britannica. Maybe Anka was
being sarcastic again, who knows."

This is exasperating.

Anka ---- and that's all I'm gonna say...

Old March 20th 04, 01:58 PM
Ankaaz

Reid wrote:

"Are you being sarcastic again?"

No. Having never heard that riddle before, I thought it was quite clever.

;-)

Anka

Old March 20th 04, 01:59 PM
Ankaaz

Jorg wrote:

"That only works on Anglicans though."

I got it! :-)

Anka ---- R.C.

Old March 20th 04, 02:15 PM
Michael E. Marotta

Ian wrote
I wonder what MAG BRIT could possibly mean?

The wheels on a Shelby?
Old March 20th 04, 02:31 PM
Ankaaz

Alladin Sane wrote:

"An even better one, what was the last team that Vince Lombardi coached?"

My husband says the Washington Redskins. I guess the typical answer would be
the Packers. Is he right or is the riddle more confounding than that?

Anka

Old March 20th 04, 02:41 PM
note.boy

Too sharp for me it seems. Billy

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:31:22 +0000, "note.boy"
wrote:

I seldom understand Michael's posts as he has a very odd
incomprehensible writing style, I'm very often scratching my head
wondering what the h*ll he's going on about. Billy

Michael is a very sharp guy. That's all I want to say...

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Old March 20th 04, 02:46 PM
note.boy

James VI of Scotland and James I of England is the one guy.

So........Elizabeth II is Queen of England only as the first Elizabeth
was queen of England only, a bit of a sore point with the Scottish
nation that she is styled "II" and not "I". She sould be "I" of the UK.

James had his number changed so why not Lizzy also? Billy

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:45:19 GMT, Ian
wrote:

I thought it was James VI who commissioned the bible thing.........(?)

Did he change his name, or have his name changed, from James VI (as
king of Scotland) to James I (as king of England)? That's what the
dictionary I used initially seems to indicate. Again, I know little
about this time in history. Let me check Britannica. It indicates the
same thing. So I don't know what Anka was so sarcastic about. She now

Old March 20th 04, 02:48 PM
note.boy

Ian, you are a naughty boy. :-) Billy

Ian wrote:

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
That's exactly what I just said. You missed the entire point. When he
commissioned the "King James" Bible, was he James I of England or
James VI of Scotland?

I wonder what MAG BRIT could possibly mean?