The joys of numismatic research

Old March 19th 04, 09:31 PM
note.boy

I seldom understand Michael's posts as he has a very odd
incomprehensible writing style, I'm very often scratching my head
wondering what the h*ll he's going on about. Billy

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

On 19 Mar 2004 10:35:15 -0800, (The Silver
Jar...) wrote:

Hammered coins ceased to be produced in 1662, and milled coins finally
took over. James II reigned 1685-1688 so all his coins would thus be
milled, so Reid was right. Talking of James II, his gold coins look a
little more like this...

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/hsov.html

It's not clear what point or points Anka and Michael were trying to
make in this thread. They don't speak directly. It has only been
sarcasm and innuendo and negativity. DrZ's coin is an interesting one.
Wouldn't it be something if Anka and Michael contributed something
*constructive* to deepen the interest in this coin?

Hey, Dr. Z. You still there? I got my latest gold coin in the mail
today. It's pictured here, the last one:

http://rg.cointalk.org/misc/Alex_staters.html

It's not as large as yours and maybe not as impressive in other ways
either, but it's interesting in its way. For one thing, it's even
*weirder* looking in person than on screen. It has very pronounced
edge lips, something I guess like an Ultra High Relief Saint, on both
obverse and reverse. But the relatively flat relief of the coin's
devices sit deeply within the raised lips. One of the weirdest things
I've ever seen on a coin. If I checked, though, I suspect a number of
other coins throughout the ages have been minted this way. I just
don't remember seeing any.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Old March 19th 04, 09:32 PM
note.boy

The nationality of the first person mentioned in the Bible
is.......Scottish, a good question to ask a group of people as few get
the answer correct. Billy

Roscoe wrote:

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

SNIP
7) The history is very cool -- a
quick search indicates that James I was the guy who sponsored the King
James Bible -- it's named after him -- and James I had some
interesting ideas about the divine rights of kings.
--

Email: (delete "remove this")

There is no way that you believe this.... It is a joke, Right?
Roscoe

Old March 19th 04, 09:45 PM
Ian

Michael E. Marotta wrote:

(Ankaaz) wrote:

Reid wrote:
... James I was the guy who sponsored the King James Bible...
... interesting ideas about the divine rights of kings."

Are you SERIOUS?
Anka ---- tell me something I -don't- know

Now, now... a little Christian caritas required you to allow him to
make sure that it was not James II, just in case... I agree that it
is easy to assume that he did not have a clue until he googled it, but
patience means suffering, which we all do gladly to save the lost.

The greater transgression was the complete baloney about Athenian
democracy and the Delian League and Aristotle. He reminds me of the
couple in "My Fellow Americans" who were passionate about their
patriotism despite the hard knocks they took from their government,
but who lost the details of American history somewhere in the 10th
grade. They never heard of Gutzon Borglum and he never heard of
Aspasia.

Michael
Polyphemos lived on Sicily

I thought it was James VI who commissioned the bible thing.........(?)

Sadly, he was a Scot and we can't be having that in relation to
`English' history now could we?

Mind you he did have a bit part to play in shaping `English'
history....but unlike Scottish history, my knowledge of 16th / 17th
century `English' history is terribly vague, and I need to be told who
it was who commissioned the KJV bible...... because it is `cool'.

I am also led to believe that James had some interesting ideas about the
divine rights of kings? Would I be right in going along with that do you
think?....I wonder what those interesting ideas could possibly be?

IM

Old March 19th 04, 10:15 PM

"note.boy" wrote:

The nationality of the first person mentioned in the Bible
is.......Scottish, a good question to ask a group of people as few get
the answer correct. Billy

I like that........ Believe me that I will probably get some people
mad at me come Sunday... Thanks.. Learn something new every day!
Roscoe
Old March 19th 04, 10:52 PM
Ankaaz

Ian wrote:

"I thought it was James VI who commissioned the bible thing.........(?)"

You are correct. ;-)

Anka

Old March 19th 04, 10:55 PM
Ankaaz

Billy wrote:

"The nationality of the first person mentioned in the Bible is.......Scottish,
a good question to ask a group of people as few get the answer correct."

That's a good one. ;-)

Anka ---- wonders if Reid will get it...

Old March 20th 04, 02:44 AM
A.Gent

"The Silver Jar..." wrote in message
om...

I like that king James Coin! i keep meaning to buy some hammered gold
one day, but i'm afraid these keep getting in the way...

http://www.historyincoins.com/xxx-15-3-4-3.jpg

Soon to be mine... my precious!

Sylvester.

Omigod!

drool

Now *that* is drop-dead gorgeous.

May one be so crass as to enquire... (?)

--
Jeff

Old March 20th 04, 03:11 AM

Ankaaz wrote: