Question on Seeburg WSR7-L6 Receiver Condensers

Old August 18th 05, 06:55 PM

Default Question on Seeburg WSR7-L6 Receiver Condensers

The Seeburg WSR7-L6 Receiver has a number of Condensers (aka
Capacitors).

C3 5.0 mfd. 300v Condenser
C5 .05 mfd. 200v Condender
C12 .005 mfd. 1000v Condender

etc.,

Do these need to be replaced with Electolytic capacitors or can they be
replaced with axial lead or radial lead (orange drop) capacitors. The
parts list does not state that they are 'Electrolytics' and
specifically calls out Electrolytic capacitors ...

C1 25 mfd. 50v Electrolytic

Can I assume these Condensors are not Electrolytics?

Old August 18th 05, 09:29 PM
Peter Wieck

To my knowledge, electrolytics do not come that small, or at least I
have never come across the same.

As a rule-of-thumb, if one can use a mylar/polyester/film cap of the
same value at an equal-or-greater voltage to an electrolytic, the mylar
cap is preferable. Typically and at high(er) voltages, electrolytics
are far smaller than equivalent film caps, so size may be the limiting
factor.

Recently, I rebuilt an early-70s integrated amp (AR), using film caps
for the 1 and 2uF electrolytics. Since they were only 50V caps, a 100V
film cap fit nicely and really did tighten up the sound of the amp...
at least in my opinion.

Capacitor = "condenser" these days.

DO NOT EVER use an NOS Paper Cap. Even if new, they are typically just
as bad as if they had been used the same number of years.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old August 18th 05, 09:38 PM
Fred

Jeff and the group,

Thanks for the advice. On the issue of old capacitor values, there is
a source I have for obsolete capacitor values at a reasonable price.
They have them custom made.

http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html

I know some folks like the look of the wax-dipped capacitors for
antique radios, but using modern components does not lower the value of
1950s vintage jukes. Some people placed solid state amps into the
jukeboxes when they 'restored' them. Just not my style ...

Old August 18th 05, 11:12 PM
Rottiezucco Rottiezucco is offline
Junior Member

Location: Illinois

Fred

I would say that your are correct, that these are axial leads and you could use orange drop to replace them. Just by the values alone, there pretty low to be Eletro's.

Gary
Old August 19th 05, 12:22 AM
Phil Nelson

This article has information about how to choose replacements for old
capacitors ("condensers"), electrolytic and otherwise.

http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

When in doubt, look at your schematic (you are using one, right?) :-)

Phil Nelson