Does this look familiar?

Old March 4th 05, 05:17 PM
Bob Hairgrove

Default Does this look familiar?

http://tinyurl.com/4mjlh

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old March 4th 05, 05:47 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Bob Hairgrove wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4mjlh

--
Bob Hairgrove

Which one? There are six gazillion coins on that guy's pages.
Old March 4th 05, 06:58 PM
Anita

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:23:30 -0600, Stujoe
wrote:

Bob Hairgrove spoke thusly...
http://tinyurl.com/4mjlh

Yep. I see it every time I look for coins on Ebay.

Confused here. The only thing I noticed beyond the username that was
mentioned earlier today, is that the person has a unusual scheme for
grading Morgans. Sometimes I think it would be a good task to show
good coin scans and have members assign a probable grade to them.

Anita

Old March 4th 05, 08:25 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:17:58 +0100, Bob Hairgrove
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4mjlh

What I meant was, do you recognize the "Savannah Scammer" behind
these? Look at the writing on the holders -- that's her.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old March 4th 05, 09:50 PM
Anita

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4mjlh

What I meant was, do you recognize the "Savannah Scammer" behind
these? Look at the writing on the holders -- that's her.

Yes, got that from the name. Still think we should re-grade some of
her coins. One of them actually looked under-graded to me, while
another looks over-graded. It's hard to tell without coin in hand,
however.

Anita

Old March 4th 05, 10:26 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:50:14 GMT, Anita wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/4mjlh

What I meant was, do you recognize the "Savannah Scammer" behind
these? Look at the writing on the holders -- that's her.

Yes, got that from the name. Still think we should re-grade some of
her coins. One of them actually looked under-graded to me, while
another looks over-graded. It's hard to tell without coin in hand,
however.

I don't know who does the grading, but she seems to deal mostly in
antiques besides coins. Her ID used to be "pjd1966" and she would buy
15 lb. bags of foreign coins, put them in 2x2's and sell them as "COIN
FROM SAVANNAH ESTATE". She never graded them explicitly before now,
but lots of times she would write "Rare" or "BU" on the holder to make
you think that was the condition of the coin. This is the first of her
auctions I've seen where she gives standard grades.

Also, she had what must have been lots of copies and repros which were
never marked as such. She usually only had a photo of the obverse of a
coin -- as someone else pointed out in this (or a similar) thread,
having a blank reverse is one way of getting rid of the "COPY" marks.
I suppose eBay is now requiring sellers to have pictures of both sides
of a coin? Hard to say, since many still don't and some people don't
even post images of a coin (yet people still bid on these auctions).

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old March 4th 05, 11:54 PM
Anita

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:26:08 +0100, Bob Hairgrove
I suppose eBay is now requiring sellers to have pictures of both sides
of a coin? Hard to say, since many still don't and some people don't
even post images of a coin (yet people still bid on these auctions).

eBay still allows one-side coin auctions. I took a chance on a couple
of them from a single seller the other day. His auctions were, not
surprisingly, drawing no bids. The end result was that I got two
gorgeous uncirculated Morgans for almost nothing. Common dates, but
gorgeous.

Sometimes one benefits from the oversights of others. On the other
hand, I am lucky I didn't get Morgans with Prince Charles sticking his
tongue out on the reverse.

Anita
Old March 5th 05, 01:33 AM
Phil DeMayo

wrote:

I don't know who does the grading, but she seems to deal mostly in
antiques besides coins. Her ID used to be "pjd1966" and she would buy
15 lb. bags of foreign coins, put them in 2x2's and sell them as "COIN
FROM SAVANNAH ESTATE". She never graded them explicitly before now,
but lots of times she would write "Rare" or "BU" on the holder to make
you think that was the condition of the coin. This is the first of her
auctions I've seen where she gives standard grades.

She also does not normally use a descriptive title for her auctions.
The title usually just states "Coin From Estate"