"They'll be worth something someday"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 17th 05, 02:49 AM
Bruce Remick

"Anita" wrote in message
On 16 May 2005 08:55:05 -0700, "Slopoet17" wrote:
But keep on putting your $2's and Sacagaweas and Bisons out there,
Paul. We'll be glad to cash in on your ignorance. You clearly don't
know a thing about values of modern issues...

Talking of nickels. I went to the bank today and on a whim bought
rolls of cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. I'm not normally a roll
searcher, but I felt like it today.

Wouldn't you know it? The teller gave me a fed roll of uncirculated D
bisons. Now I'm paralyzed. One part of me wants to put them in the
safe in case they're worth something one day. The other part wants to
tear them open to look for a speared bison. Couldn't the teller just
have given me a simple conflict-free roll of nickels?

I hope I don't discover the other denominations are uncirculated coins
that may be worth something one day.

Anita

Don't worry, Anita. It looks like 20-30% of the entire bison nickel mintage
will be saved in one form or another in BU condition by collectors, dealers, and
speculators. Not much doubt these will never be in demand because of scarcity.
The stuff to put aside for future appreciation is the stuff no one else saves.
That's why I was able to sell a local phone book from the 1950's for $45, and a
Sears catalog from the same period for $60. If you've got the space and the
time, putting away examples of common everyday items that most everyone else
throws away might bring nice returns from nostalgia freaks in years to come.
With me, it will be my grandson who would reap any benefits of the oddball stuff
I'm saving, if he doesn't throw it all away before his collector gene develops.

Bruce