National Postage Movement

Old December 14th 04, 09:05 PM
Arthur Mongan

Default National Postage Movement

Hi
There has been information here and elsewhere on the (US) National One
Cent Letter Postage Association. It was active in the US in the 1910s and
1920s. There is a one frame exhibit shown in US National Shows.
In the 1890s there was an organization out of Chicago, Illinois, called
the National Postage Movement. I've done a googol search and an online
search of the American Philatelic Research Library, both with no hits.
Is there anyone in this newsqroup familiar with this organization?
Have a nice day, Art

Old December 14th 04, 10:16 PM
bc92

In message ,
Arthur Mongan wrote:
Hi
There has been information here and elsewhere on the (US)
National One Cent Letter Postage Association. It was active in the US
in the 1910s and 1920s. There is a one frame exhibit shown in US
National Shows. In the 1890s there was an organization out of
Chicago, Illinois, called the National Postage Movement. I've done a
googol search and an online search of the American Philatelic
Research Library, both with no hits. Is there anyone in this
newsqroup familiar with this organization?
Have a nice day, Art

Hi, Art
there is this one:
http://stampsjoann.net/noclpa/noclpa-main.html
I just hope that's not _your_ website !

--
Kind regards,
Bruno
Old December 15th 04, 06:05 AM
fred fep

"Arthur Mongan" wrote in message
Hi
There has been information here and elsewhere on the (US) National One
Cent Letter Postage Association. It was active in the US in the 1910s and
1920s. There is a one frame exhibit shown in US National Shows.
In the 1890s there was an organization out of Chicago, Illinois,

called
the National Postage Movement. I've done a googol search and an online
search of the American Philatelic Research Library, both with no hits.
Is there anyone in this newsqroup familiar with this organization?
Have a nice day, Art

New York Times Jan. 10, 1895

TWO APPROPRIATION BILLS
The House Passes Diplomatic and Postal Appropriations
THE NEW-YORK OFFICE DISCUSSED
Attempt to Cut Out Chicago Fast Mail Trains--Something About a National
Postage Movement.

Washington, Jan. 9--

[I move through various and sundry legislative initiatives...Mr. Pickler
(Rep S,D,) moved to amend by a proviso that no railway clerk should be
compelled to live at a terminus of the route upon which he was employed. A
regulation to this effect had been promulgated by the Postmaster
General...The amendment was ruled out on the point of order that it was new
legislation....Mr. Perkins (Rep., Iowa) had read a letter from the publisher
of an Omaha newspaper protesting against the establishment and maintenance
of the fast mail trains from Chicago west for the benefit of the morning
newspapers of that city.........Mr. Hopkins, (Rep. Ill.) said it was not
true that trains were expedited for the sole benefit of the Chicago
newspaper; they simply took advantage of a condition of affairs which they
found in existence...but I am skipping through that...]
We continue many paragraphs into the article of 1/10/1895:
"Mr. Caruth (Dem., Ky.,) called attention to the national postage movement,
having for its object the securing of legislation to reduce the rate of
letter postage from 2 cents to 1 cent an ounce. He said that it was a scheme
which, if successful, would result in putting millions of dollars in the
pockets of the managers. The plan, he said, to secure contributions through
State organizations from large patrons of the postal service of half the
amount annually saved by the proposed change. The receipts from letter
postage last year, Mr. Caruth said, were about $45,000,000, so that even if
10 per cent of the Post Office patrons contributed, the managers would reap
a reward of over $2,250,000....
"the bill was agreed to in committee without change, reported to the
House, and passed."

Be as it ever will...

This is all I found (so far) It is coming from one side, maybe it was
legit....who knows....