Reissues of 1938 Presidential Series

Old July 29th 03, 12:37 AM
scrapnstamp2000

Default Reissues of 1938 Presidential Series

Does anyone have any information or know of anything published about
the 1941, 1954 or other possible reissues of the U.S. 1938
Presidential ("Prexie") definitive series? I have acquired a Jan. 16,
1941 reissue FDC of the 1 1/2 cent Martha Washington and an Aug 31,
1954 FDC reissue of the $1 Wilson, and am interested in any
information that any of you might have about them.
Old July 29th 03, 01:10 AM
Eric Bustad

scrapnstamp2000 wrote:
Does anyone have any information or know of anything published about
the 1941, 1954 or other possible reissues of the U.S. 1938
Presidential ("Prexie") definitive series? I have acquired a Jan. 16,
1941 reissue FDC of the 1 1/2 cent Martha Washington and an Aug 31,
1954 FDC reissue of the $1 Wilson, and am interested in any
information that any of you might have about them.

My 2000 Scott US Specialized lists 832c, $1 red violet & black instead
of purple & black, as issued on Aug 31, 1954.

For the 1.5 cent stamp, the closest thing that I can see is the mention
of a buff (instead of bister brown) shade from 1943.

= Eric

Old July 29th 03, 02:22 AM
Dave Kent

I don't remember the exact details, but the Bureau of Engraving and Printing
began using a new intaglio printing technology in 1943 that produced stamps of
slightly different color from the originals. Most catalogs do not list them as
separate issues, just different shades, as the same master dies were used. The
1954 $1 Wilson printing was significantly different enough to get a minor
catalog number.