London Hexagon Pmks.

Old July 24th 03, 01:16 PM
David F.

Default London Hexagon Pmks.

I have won a GB QV stamp on Ebay with
hexagonal postmark, dated "JA30 82". It
shows a value of 3D - actually printed on
the top line of the postmark.

It is on an 1881 3-penny Rose stamp, type
SG.158, Plate 21.

I have found 2 other examples (poor) of this
hexagonal postmark in my albums. One on
a QV 2/6d. type SG. 178, & one on a 2-1/2d.
type SG. 190.

Does anyone on the NG have further details
about this postmark? All I know is that it
was an "experimental" type, used in London
only.

Is it a rarity?

Many thanks,

David.

Old July 24th 03, 05:31 PM
Larry

In article , "David F."
writes:

I have won a GB QV stamp on Ebay with
hexagonal postmark, dated "JA30 82". It
shows a value of 3D - actually printed on
the top line of the postmark.

The only hexagonal postmark, other than ones with a T and a value (for postage
due), that I know about are some London District Post and Suburban Offices
duplex handstamps, the left portion of which was hexagonal. These were used
for Late Fee charges and are valued and listed at £10 each in the Seventh
Edition of "Collect British Postmarks" 1997. The example illustrated has the
office name and numbers within the hexagon, but no value. No period of use is
given.

If I remember correctly (and someone else will surely be able to advise) a Late
Fee was an additional fee charged if you wanted a letter included in a post
after the normal closing time for it

Larry in Berkeley, California (seaotter 6 at a o l dot c o m)(no spaces in
address)
Old July 24th 03, 10:10 PM
David F.

I have won a GB QV stamp on Ebay with
hexagonal postmark, dated "JA30 82". It
shows a value of 3D - actually printed on
the top line of the postmark.

It is on an 1881 3-penny Rose stamp, type
SG.158, Plate 21.

I have found 2 other examples (poor) of this
hexagonal postmark in my albums. One on
a QV 2/6d. type SG. 178, & one on a 2-1/2d.
type SG. 190.

Does anyone on the NG have further details
about this postmark? All I know is that it
was an "experimental" type, used in London
only.

Is it a rarity?

Many thanks,

David.

There were "Late Fee" and "Overweight" chops similar to that.

Sometimes the rest of the descriptive mark is cut off.

Scan anywhere?

I will send one shortly!

David.

Old July 24th 03, 10:11 PM
David F.

[...]

Thanks for the info... reply send via Email.

David.

Old July 25th 03, 05:12 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:10:09 +0100, "David F."
found these unused words floating about:

[...]

Scan showed a hexagonal London District 'left' portion of a "Late Fee"
duplex.

3d because the letter was over 2 oz.

Old July 26th 03, 01:30 AM
David F.

There were "Late Fee" and "Overweight" chops similar to that.

Sometimes the rest of the descriptive mark is cut off.

Scan anywhere?

I will send one shortly!

David.

Scan showed a hexagonal London District 'left' portion of a "Late Fee"
duplex.

3d because the letter was over 2 oz.

That must have been a lo o o o o o ng letter!

David.

Old July 27th 03, 09:51 AM
TC

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:30:29 +0100, "David F."
wrote:

There were "Late Fee" and "Overweight" chops similar to that.

Sometimes the rest of the descriptive mark is cut off.

Scan anywhere?

I will send one shortly!

David.

Scan showed a hexagonal London District 'left' portion of a "Late Fee"
duplex.

3d because the letter was over 2 oz.

That must have been a lo o o o o o ng letter!

David.

I believe the "late fee" applied regardless of weight.

Blair

Old July 27th 03, 07:46 PM
J. A. Mc.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 04:51:04 -0400, TC found these

wrote:

There were "Late Fee" and "Overweight" chops similar to that.

Sometimes the rest of the descriptive mark is cut off.

Scan anywhere?

I will send one shortly!

David.

Scan showed a hexagonal London District 'left' portion of a "Late Fee"
duplex.

3d because the letter was over 2 oz.

That must have been a lo o o o o o ng letter!

David.

I believe the "late fee" applied regardless of weight.

Blair

Late Fee was double the -appropriate- postage.

a = 1 oz letter was "Late Fee'd" 1d, etc.