One dollar Confederate States Of America bill

Old October 17th 04, 02:41 AM
Tom

Default One dollar Confederate States Of America bill

Would anyone have an ideal what it is worth. My wifes father found it and
some US bank notes printed in 1862 in his grandmothers stuff that he kept.

Thanks
Tom

Old October 17th 04, 01:16 PM
Thomas Chao

It could be a worthless replica.
Check the serial number against my Replicas list at http://tomchao.com

Old October 17th 04, 07:58 PM
Padraic Brown

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:16:29 -0400, "Thomas Chao"
wrote:

It could be a worthless replica.
Check the serial number against my Replicas list at http://tomchao.com

Indeed. Though a lot less likely, since it was found with a number of
same era USA currency.

I wonder why Tom didn't ask about the US currency from the same
period... I very much hope he didn't take it to the bank! Unless that
bank happens to be around here...

Padraic.

"Tom" wrote in message
Would anyone have an ideal what it is worth. My wifes father found it and
some US bank notes printed in 1862 in his grandmothers stuff that he kept.

Thanks
Tom

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old October 18th 04, 01:46 AM
Tom

Well, the CSA note does not have a back so I am not sure if its real. Since
the US notes were with it (they do have backs) I figured if the CSA is a
fake or worthless so are the US bank ones. But they look authentic and they
were in my wife's fathers grandmothers stuff that was left closed up all
this time. So I thought this stuff is most likely real. I guess I should
take it to a collector. Would it make since to take it to a museum to check
it?
Tom

Old October 18th 04, 01:51 AM
Tom

Its a replica. But it sure looks real. It is hand written. No doublt. But
the serial no is 1468 Apr 6th 1863.

Old October 18th 04, 02:46 AM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:51:51 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

Its a replica. But it sure looks real. It is hand written. No doublt. But
the serial no is 1468 Apr 6th 1863.

Take the other notes to a coin / currency dealer and by all means
search Ebay for similar notes to give you a good clue as to what
they're worth. You could also put scans on a website and post the link
here so we can all join in on the fun.

Padraic.

.. .

Old October 19th 04, 04:18 AM
ken

"Tom" wrote in message ...
Would anyone have an ideal what it is worth. My wifes father found it and
some US bank notes printed in 1862 in his grandmothers stuff that he kept.

Thanks
Tom

DEAR TOM COULD YOU PLEASE DISCRIBE THE NOTE AND THE CONDITION OF THE
NOTE BECAUSE THERE ARE THREE NOTES FROM 1862 AND A LITTLE MORE INFO
KEN JOHNSON
Old October 20th 04, 12:26 AM
Tom

I am pretty sure now they are fakes. On closer inspection I just noticed
that the US notes have the same serial no. Ha!! Looks like I got myself.
Wonder why my father in law kept them. Thanks for the help. They are kinda
neat looking. Isn't there a law against reproducing this stuff?

On 18 Oct 2004 20:18:53 -0700, (ken) wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
Would anyone have an ideal what it is worth. My wifes father found it
and
some US bank notes printed in 1862 in his grandmothers stuff that he
kept.

Thanks
Tom

DEAR TOM COULD YOU PLEASE DISCRIBE THE NOTE AND THE CONDITION OF THE
NOTE BECAUSE THERE ARE THREE NOTES FROM 1862 AND A LITTLE MORE INFO
KEN JOHNSON

Take this for what it's worth to you ... No need to shout! Punctuation
is our friend!

Padraic.

Old October 20th 04, 04:28 AM
Padraic Brown

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:26:08 -0500, "Tom" wrote:

I am pretty sure now they are fakes. On closer inspection I just noticed
that the US notes have the same serial no. Ha!! Looks like I got myself.
Wonder why my father in law kept them. Thanks for the help. They are kinda
neat looking. Isn't there a law against reproducing this stuff?

With intent to defraud, sure. Copies generally have the word "COPY" or
"FACSIMILE" on them somewhere or are oversized or undersized.
Counterfeits, naturally, would not - but neither would they all have
the same serial number! Older copies, such as were made for Civil War
tourist traps may or may not be so labelled.

Padraic.