How to tell Montblanc Replicas?

Old August 18th 04, 10:07 PM
Bozack

No complaints here, just addressing the "overpricing" comment...personally I
fully understand how the system works and have no problems with it, just get
tired of hearing the term "overpriced" applied incorrectly.....

"Curtis L. Russell" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:51:44 -0400, "Bozack"
wrote:

Do you truly feel that the materials and manufacturing cost justify the

$400
MSRP of most popular fountain pens? possibly on the first one ever made
through the process, but after that the markup is insane...

As your own comments indicate, the MSRP covers not just the
manufacturer's own costs, but the costs throughout the pipeline. If
you like purchasing from a shop with a lot of ambience in a posh
section of any major Western capital, then, yes, the markup is
probably justified.

If you purchase anywhere else along the spectrum ending with the
cheapest of the on-line retailers, then the MSRP is discounted down to
reflect the lower distribution costs and lower overhead of the
retailer.

To me, complaining about MSRP is like complaining about what the diner
at the next table is eating. If you're not eating that dish, what's
your beef? If you're not paying MSRP, what's the issue?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Old August 18th 04, 11:44 PM
john cline ii

"R. Paul Martin" wrote in part:

| The Pelikano reminds me a lot of the old, cheap Shaeffer cartridge
| fountain pens of forty years or so ago. My hands didn't get cramps so
| easily in my yout' (pronounced yoot).

I can fix that. Just don't put your hands in your yout' and they won't
hurt so much!

john cline ii, who just had to

Old August 19th 04, 09:07 AM
Earl Camembert

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:05:35 -0400, "Bozack"
wrote:

Dealers will not confiscate, only Rolex service centers will. Most Rolex
replicas can be identified by the learned as there are some notable
difference...the ones to really watch out for were those which had authentic
Rolex movements and italian made gold cases as those were truly top notch.

With Montblanc, if you send a fake in to get serviced it will get
confiscated, however if you send in a grey purchased pen with a serial
numbers removed and such they will simply charge you for a new clip to
reissue a serial number, send in a Rolex with the SN removed along with many
other brands and you will have some explaining to do...I believe JLC used to
confiscate pieces which had markings removed as well, either that or it was
Vacheron.

"Michael Guterman" wrote in message
m...
Stuart Krivis wrote:
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 22:01:59 -0400, "Jack Harrell"
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone here could tell me of a surefire way to tell

if a
pen is a real Montblanc or a replica? I just bought one that just

doesn't
feel right. It has a Montblanc "refill" bp ink insert but I don't know

if
that means anything. I figure they probably print refill on all their

ink
inserts.

If you over-paid for it, it's a Mont Blanc. :-)

Mont Blanc has been opening stores in some of the upscale malls.
Perhaps there's one near you and you could take it in.

Or you could try calling Mont Blanc and ask what to look for.

I don't know if Montblanc is the same, but if you show a fake Rolex to a
dealer you will likely leave without it. We have really serious
problems in the watch world, with some of the replicas so good that it
takes a watchmaker to tell.

Michael

Why weren't these places fire bombed? You take my stuff and I may get
angary, very angary.
Old August 20th 04, 04:21 AM
Bozack

It is copywrighted property...just as when you bring your car in for work at
the stealership and they see some of the parts you replaced are with
aftermarket and you want them to fix something which connects to the
aftermarket part they will insist you install a factory piece...or the cable
company that will not give you service unless you buy the splitters from
them....

How would you like it if someone send in a fake of something which you made
for repair?....
news

Old August 27th 04, 07:57 PM
Luis

I just bought a MB149 at ebay and looks great , like new , works great ! ,
but there is no serial number on the clip band ,
means this that my 149 is a fake?
I bought a RB fake with the knowledge that this is a fake and it has serial
number

I have only seen RB and BP as fakes , are FP fakes also ?

Luis

"Earl Camembert" escribió en el mensaje
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:34:45 -0500, "Michael"
wrote:

"Jack Harrell" wrote in message
.. .
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me of a surefire way to tell

if a
pen is a real Montblanc or a replica? I just bought one that just

doesn't
feel right. It has a Montblanc "refill" bp ink insert but I don't know

if
that means anything. I figure they probably print refill on all their

ink
inserts.

Jack

The nib is an important factor. I've seen fakes on Ebay where
the nib says "iridium" (I think). A tooled Montblanc nib is
difficult to fake. Look at web sites to see a close up to see
what these nibs should look like.

On more expensive MBs, too, you'll also find serial numbers.

Mike

The serial numbers came into being in 1992.

Old September 13th 04, 04:06 AM
Bozack

Depends on the age, the serial numbers as far as I know are relatively new
as are the other anti counterfitting measures...I also have not seen too
many FP fakes out and about and those which I have are pretty poor
copies...There were also authentic MBs sold through Staples which had the SN
removed....