How to tell Montblanc Replicas?

Old August 13th 04, 11:19 PM
john cline ii

"Michael" wrote:
| The nib is an important factor. I've seen fakes on Ebay where
| the nib says "iridium" (I think). A tooled Montblanc nib is
| difficult to fake. Look at web sites to see a close up to see
| what these nibs should look like.
|
| On more expensive MBs, too, you'll also find serial numbers.

Only on relatively new ones.

Older real and expensive MBs had no such things!

john cline ii, who hopes that helps

Old August 14th 04, 01:58 AM
mz

john cline ii wrote:

| On more expensive MBs, too, you'll also find serial numbers.

Only on relatively new ones.

Older real and expensive MBs had no such things!

Depends on what you mean by "older," but my 149 from 1990
doesn't have a serial no., and it's authentic.

HTH,
Mark Z.
Old August 14th 04, 02:39 AM
john cline ii

"mz" wrote:

| john cline ii wrote:
| |
| | On more expensive MBs, too, you'll also find serial numbers.
|
| Only on relatively new ones.
|
| Older real and expensive MBs had no such things!
|

| Depends on what you mean by "older," but my 149 from 1990
| doesn't have a serial no., and it's authentic.

Exactly. My point was MANY real MB's have no serial numbers.

In fact, at this point, I would say more don't than do...

john cline ii, who thought that needed saying (the original poster was
saying real MB's have serial numbers if they are "more expensive," and
that just isn't always, or even usually, the case...)

Old August 14th 04, 03:44 AM
Bozack

What he meant was the meisterstuck and up of the modern pens feature a
serial number on the uppermost band of the cap which supports the clip,
there are also other tell tale signs of authenticity on new models only and
some of these might be seen on certain slightly older models. Less expensive
models such as the Generation line do not have any serial numbers and only a
few distinct markings to discern them from counterfits (but then again the
meisterstuck line is the most commonly faked).

As mentioned the older pens will not have any markings, but if someone is
buying one which is advertised as "new" and a current model it is good to be
aware of what marking methods are used.

Old August 14th 04, 05:33 AM
Earl Camembert

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:34:45 -0500, "Michael"
wrote:

"Jack Harrell" wrote in message
.. .
I was wondering if anyone here could tell me of a surefire way to tell if a
pen is a real Montblanc or a replica? I just bought one that just doesn't
feel right. It has a Montblanc "refill" bp ink insert but I don't know if
that means anything. I figure they probably print refill on all their ink
inserts.

Jack

The nib is an important factor. I've seen fakes on Ebay where
the nib says "iridium" (I think). A tooled Montblanc nib is
difficult to fake. Look at web sites to see a close up to see
what these nibs should look like.

On more expensive MBs, too, you'll also find serial numbers.

Mike

The serial numbers came into being in 1992.
Old August 16th 04, 09:57 AM
Free Citizen

Hi there,

I am new here but I can't help noticing your comments. I can't speak for
Montegrappa nor Omas. But John Mottishaw would vouch for Omas. As for
Pelikan and Aurora, I have to respectfully disagree. Pelikan do make
affordable models and so do Aurora. But they also make higher-end priced
models. But if you consider these as work of art and take into account the
labour that go into each pen, you will come to the conclusion that they too
are not overpriced. Sadly, I cannot the same for MontBlanc.

"Bozack" wrote in message
As in the end, they are all overpriced and not worth a fraction of what us
fools pay for them.

Old August 16th 04, 11:54 AM
Bozack

Hello,

While I respect everyone's own opinion I just cannot in good conscious agree
with you. Every luxury product you buy which includes Omas, Pelikan, Aurora
and virtually every other brand of nice fountain pen no matter what the
discount you recieve is grossly overpriced compared to materials and
production cost.

With regards to "affordable" models I guess it truly depends on what one
deems "affordable" I most certainly don't consider a $50 pen affordable when
I can get a bic stick for under $1 which writes well, and no I do not
consider any mass produced pen a "work of art", possibly some of the very
nice (And grossly overpriced) limited editions are, but the regular
production lines are nothing more than "really nice" pens, IMHO far from
works of art.

So no, I will not nor ever come to the conclusion they are fairly priced.
The simple definition of luxury product is that which is overpriced. Also
the term "overpriced" is never correctly used, people like youself apply it
in situations when comparing to similar yet different
products/brands....unless you can buy the exact same thing from someone else
at a much lesser cost then the item is not overpriced, so while a Montblanc
to you might be a poor value as you can get a "comparable" product for less,
to others it may be the deal of the century.

Old August 16th 04, 12:05 PM
Free Citizen

In view of what you write, I have to concede that you have some very good
points. But I am a sucker for lower priced Pelikans. Can't find a comparable
pen for less.

--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

news

Old August 16th 04, 12:27 PM
Bozack

I appreciate the honesty and can see what you are attracted to, it is very
hard to pass up a great pen at a great price.

I was going to add that a great example of "overpriced" is the person who
buys an Aurora, Pelikan, Omas or whatever brand at a retail store for near
full list or at best 20% off and then later discovers they could have had
the same thing with minimal effort (in most cases less than buying retail)
for upwards of 40% off...I know if I had purhcased something at full list
and then found 40% off was just a few mouse clicks away I would be pretty
steamed....

Very different when compared with price control brands such as MB as the
best one will do on either the retail or secondary market is 20% ...still
20% is good but not nearly as large as a 35-40% discount which is often
times easily available on other brands.

Nice talking with you.

Old August 16th 04, 06:33 PM
Juan

"Bozack" wrote in message ...
[...]

Omas pens can't be put in the same category as pelikan or aurora. Omas
pens are handmade by a small company. If we forget about the celluloid
and other ultraexpensive series, you get what you pay when you get an
Omas. Let's see:

A handmade ebonite feeder (how many modern manufacturers offer that?
They are ultra light weight
Vegetal resin bodies and cap
A flexible and great nib
Piston filling
What else?

Compare for example a Omas MoMA and a parker duofold centennial, which
are around the same price and compare features. It's that simple.

IMHO, a modern Omas is the closest you can get to a vintage pen (and
by vintage I mean in this case "pre parker 51".

Juan