"Purple is the new Red"

Old February 18th 05, 04:52 AM
Renard DellaFave

Good, as purple G2 and Vball pens have been as rare as mustard color
P51s, and maybe there will finally be a purple V-7. Now if only they'd
ressurect the erasable purple colored mechanical pencil, I'd just pass
out from happiness.

Old February 18th 05, 05:03 AM
Renard DellaFave

Pat- I don't see why if a student wrote the paper in red you wouldn't
just mark it up in black or blue rather than being spiteful about it.

Surinder - I have a .7mm G2 purple that's not close to red and as
smooth as the other G2-07 refills. Date code is 00=B711. You'd
probably prefer the P-700 purple which is much darker. Me, I'd like a
P-500 purple but, nope, none such.

Old February 18th 05, 05:11 PM
Renard DellaFave

You can't force a student to succeed, but you can give them the tools
they
need -- that's called teaching.

I'd agree, so long as supplying a book, presenting some chapters on the
blackboard, and writing and grading a test doesn't qualify as giving
tools. Too often in college engineering classes the onus of actually
learning anything fell 75% to the student's own reading, and homework.
Always thought it must be because someone's demanding that more be
learned than can actually be taught in the class time provided.

What color the tests were graded in, though, if it made anybody feel
better, certainly wouldn't undermine the teachers efforts to teach.

Old February 20th 05, 12:07 AM
Joshua C Sasmor

In article .com,
Renard DellaFave wrote:
You can't force a student to succeed, but you can give them the tools

they
need -- that's called teaching.

I'd agree, so long as supplying a book, presenting some chapters on the
blackboard, and writing and grading a test doesn't qualify as giving
tools. Too often in college engineering classes the onus of actually
learning anything fell 75% to the student's own reading, and homework.
Always thought it must be because someone's demanding that more be
learned than can actually be taught in the class time provided.

\rant on
Absolutely - I teach at a local college here outside Pittsburgh (now that I
are a Pitt graduate) and I meet with my students for a total of 16 weeks,
3 hours a week. 48 contact hours - can you master _anything_ in that span
of time? The class time is for discussion of methods, pointing out common
errors, group discussion and commentary. ALL learning goes on inside the
head of the students! At any time, in any place where someone is thinking
about the stuff we did in class - especially while practicing (homework) -
that's where learning happens.

In graduate school, I would wager that I spent 4 hours outside of class for
every hour inside class - that's the way to learn! I cannot even expect to
master the yoyo in 48 hours! (note that 48 hours also includes 3 in-term
exams, so we really only have 45 contact hours and then a final exam) I'm
a little touchy about this on this weekend (I'm posting on Saturday) as I
have recently had a debate with several students in a "contemporary math"
(math for poets/poli sci/english/art majors) about the "unreasonable" amount
of work I assign (one 5 question assignment before each class and 5-10
homework problems each class).

Think about how long it takes to learn how to do something "simple" like
write with a pen...
\rant off

Ob content - I'm buying a new Pelikan this week!

Joshua C. Sasmor

Joshua C. Sasmor - Pipe-smoker, teacher and mathematician
Home page: http://www.math.pitt.edu/~jcsst18/
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth but supreme beauty.
- BERTRAND RUSSELL
Old February 20th 05, 03:09 AM
KCat

"Pat Lamb" wrote in message
teaching. Or you can make them feel good in the short term -- I don't
know what to call that.

Coddling?

Ya know - I don't ever recall getting a paper or exam back and thinking "oh,
red ink. oh my eyes, my ego, my soul!" I just thought "well, I screwed
that up - better figure it out and get it right next time." Ocassionally, I
probably thought that the teacher was an idiot... even when he/she was
correct. I saw plenty of red ink in my school days - I don't think I turned
out particularly damaged or neurotic because of it. There were much worse
things in my life to worry about (acne, cheap clothes, bad hair days...) :P

Old February 20th 05, 06:21 AM
so what

KCat wrote:
"Pat Lamb" wrote in message
teaching. Or you can make them feel good in the short term -- I

don't
know what to call that.

Coddling?

I saw plenty of red ink in my school days - I don't think I turned
out particularly damaged or neurotic because of it. There were much

worse
things in my life to worry about (acne, cheap clothes, bad hair

days...) :P

So, red ink made you "normal"?!
QUICK!! get orange!

satrap

I just found out that my subconscious mind is driven by Reserve,
because I am not sexually aroused by ink-blot monsters. Be jealous of
me.

Old February 20th 05, 11:56 AM
john cline ii

"so what" signed off with:

| I just found out that my subconscious mind is driven by Reserve,
| because I am not sexually aroused by ink-blot monsters. Be jealous
of
| me.

Nah.

orange, Orange, ORange, ORAnge, ORANge, ORANGe, ORANGE!!!!

john cline ii, who suspects he knows what REALLY drives Ms. Ruby
Yacht's thots...

Old February 20th 05, 11:59 AM
john cline ii

| "so what" signed off with:
|
|| I just found out that my subconscious mind is driven by Reserve,
|| because I am not sexually aroused by ink-blot monsters. Be jealous
| of
|| me.
|
| Nah.
|
| orange, Orange, ORange, ORAnge, ORANge, ORANGe, ORANGE!!!!
|
| john cline ii, who suspects he knows what REALLY drives Ms. Ruby
| Yacht's thots...

Come to think of it, is that Freudian? The Ruby Yot's Thots of Omar
Come In???

john cline ii, who wonders if the divine Miss S has met Mr. Come In! I
think I saw him at the Columbus pen show once! Or was that Doctor I?

Old February 20th 05, 02:14 PM
mge

I bought the purple G2 package of two, it looks purple to me but the flow
does suck, the ink is not acceptable.

"Surinder Singh" wrote in message

"john cline ii" wrote in message

A press release from Pilot Pen we may find of interest:

Thanks for sharing. I have, as a user, also seen a spike in purple color
inks and pens. It is also my own favority color.

By the way, the purple G2 refill sucks. It is more of a red than purple.
Also, it is available in very very fine point and is hence not as smooth
as the normal black one.

-s

Old February 20th 05, 02:23 PM
john cline ii

"mge" wrote:

| I bought the purple G2 package of two, it looks purple to me but the
flow
| does suck, the ink is not acceptable.

Agreed. And, strangely, the Zebra Sarasa series, known for its wide
range of colours, also does not have a very nice royal purple.

A void remains to be filled!

john cline ii, who would think that if a company were going to put out
a press release on purple being the new red, it would have grand pens
with purple ink!