Where to consign coins in New York City

Old March 18th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shosh

Default Where to consign coins in New York City

I'm interested in selling a few inherited gold coins and I live in New
York City. Any advice about where to consign? I know there are some
specialty auction houses but don't know how they compare for
reputation and price.
Thanks in advance
Old March 18th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 17, 8:39*pm, shosh wrote:
I'm interested in selling a few inherited gold coins and I live in New
York City. *Any advice about where to consign? *I know there are some
specialty auction houses but don't know how they compare for
reputation and price.
Thanks in advance

Stacks over on W 57th Street has been in business for many years and
is allegedly reputable. I have never sold with/to them, so I can't
speak from personal experience.
Carnegie Deli is nearby, so you can get a good sandwich at lunch! The
roast beef is excellent.
But if you only have a few coins you'd probably be better off selling
on eBay, unless they are real rarities.
Old March 18th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shosh

On Mar 17, 8:46*pm, RF wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:39*pm, shosh wrote:

I'm interested in selling a few inherited gold coins and I live in New
York City. *Any advice about where to consign? *I know there are some
specialty auction houses but don't know how they compare for
reputation and price.
Thanks in advance

Stacks over on W 57th Street has been in business for many years and
is allegedly reputable. I have never sold with/to them, so I can't
speak from personal experience.
Carnegie Deli is nearby, so you can get a good sandwich at lunch! The
roast beef is excellent.
But if you only have a few coins you'd probably be better off selling
on eBay, unless they are real rarities.

Thanks. I'd heard about Stack's. They're actually near my dentist so
maybe it's time to finally go for a cleaning...
I don't have much to offer but one of the coins is an 1897 gold $20
coin (double eagle). I know it's not extremely rare, but with gold
prices where they are it looks like even the ungraded ones sold on
ebay by amateurs are doing okay. I could go the ebay route, but I'm
afraid I'd be in over my head trying to sell this myself. Do you
think this is the sort of thing Stacks would bother with?
I also found a website for Smythe's downtown and they hold coin
auctions too. Worth a visit?
Old March 18th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
stonej

I'm sure that both Smythe and Stack's would be interested in buying
it, you would probably get more selling it on eBay but
if you don't want the hassle of doing that a direct sale is probably
the best option.
Old March 18th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 18, 1:26*pm, shosh wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:46*pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:39*pm, shosh wrote:

[...]

Over your head? How hard is it to scan in pictures of the coins and
post an eBay auction?
Old March 19th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:22:59 -0700 (PDT), RF
wrote:

Over your head? How hard is it to scan in pictures of the coins and
post an eBay auction?

Evidently, harder than tap dancing while wearing scuba flippers for
some. You only have to look at some of the ads to know that some
people can't manage it.
--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old March 19th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 18, 7:22*pm, RF wrote:
On Mar 18, 1:26*pm, shosh wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:46*pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:39*pm, shosh wrote:

[...]

post an eBay auction?- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure that what he means is: I don't know how to present it on
ebay in such a way that would return a good value for the coin.

UGBSM
Old March 20th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shosh

On Mar 19, 11:10*am, wrote:
On Mar 18, 7:22*pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 18, 1:26*pm, shosh wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:46*pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:39*pm, shosh wrote:

[...]

UGBSM- Hide quoted text -

thanks, friendly, that is what I mean. I do have a little experience
selling on ebay but I've never sold a coin and don't know how to
grade.

I would think that serious collectors would be more likely to pay top
dollar to a reputable dealer than to a newbie with good pictures.
Wouldn't you?
Old March 20th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
David Farmer

"shosh" wrote in message
On Mar 19, 11:10 am, wrote:
On Mar 18, 7:22 pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 18, 1:26 pm, shosh wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:46 pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:39 pm, shosh wrote:

[...]

yes, but "you" would probably get more if you sold it on eBay

Old March 20th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
stonej

On Mar 20, 5:20*am, "David Farmer" wrote:
"shosh" wrote in message

On Mar 19, 11:10 am, wrote:

On Mar 18, 7:22 pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 18, 1:26 pm, shosh wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:46 pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 17, 8:39 pm, shosh wrote:

[...]

yes, but "you" would probably get more if you sold it on eBay- Hide quoted text -

If it is a one shot ebay selling situation it might not be worth the
time and effort to do it, just depends on how much
your time is worth to you and if you want to deal with packaging,
insurance, method of payment etc.

Many people don't want to be bothered, that is why eBay consignment
shops are common.