All praise to R. Dunaway, Bookseller...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 19th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jonathan

Default All praise to R. Dunaway, Bookseller...

Yesterday was hot in St. Louis. Grand Blvd. was noisy and crowded.
I went into Mr. Dunaway's shop and browsed for an hour. It was cool,
quiet and organized. I found two fairly-priced books (obscure and of
interest,
I imagine, only to me). I bought them and spent half the night
reading one of them.
The experience of taking refuge from the clutter of a city into the
repose of a good
bookshop, finding a good book that barely dents the wallet, and
spending the next
few hours captivated by the purchase, is one that our grandchildren
will not enjoy. At least not in my home town of Milwaukee.
It can now be said (with the closing of "Recycled Books" on Prospect
Avenue)
that the Eastside no longer has a used bookstore.

Perhaps I should move my family to St. Louis. It seems
to be more of a book town.

Regards,

Jonathan Brodie

Good deed pays off for Louisiana bookseller Jon Meyers Books 11 March 14th 06 02:24 PM
Eaton Press, et al mdobson Books 46 February 1st 06 05:45 AM
Bookseller v. German Govt. Jon Meyers Books 1 January 23rd 05 07:14 PM
A Guide to Rare Books? Christian Books 2 August 19th 03 10:56 AM